TechSpot

EVGA Classified SR-2 fits twin six-core Xeon processors

By Matthew
Mar 17, 2010
  1. EVGA has launched the "mother of all motherboards," a dual-socket PCB capable of housing two of Intel's six-core Xeon processors. Officially dubbed the Classified SR-2, the board uses Intel's 5220 chipset and has twin LGA1366 sockets, providing the foundation for a colossal 12-core, 24-threaded monster box. It's worth noting that Intel's Core i7-980X isn't supported.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

LOL...holy crap that is most definitely "the mother" of all motherboards. If you completely loaded it up with the two processors (12 cores) and 48 GB of RAM, what could you possibly use it for? Run Crysis at 500 fps? :p

3. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

K, someone needs to max it out and play Crysis asap.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

Sure thing, just send me $10k and I'll get right on that :)

5. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 TS Rookie Posts: 58

omg I want it

6. Deso

Deso TS Rookie Posts: 130

Uhm.... are there even any application that support TWO physical cpus.....??? or how the hell does that work

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Software applications, at least in general, make no distinction between the number of sockets. One eight core CPU or two quad-cores, for example still represents eight cores.
    As to how many app's would benefit from sixteen physical cores and sixty-four PCIe lanes...well, I'd hazard a guess and say this mobo + seven single slot 9800GT's (or similar) would make an interesting Folding @ Home rig.
    As for how it works. In much the same way as the desktop X58 chipset works, except that Xeon CPU's have two QPI's (QuickPath Interconnect) instead of one. Where the Core i7 9xx series use a QPI to connect the CPU to the chipset, the Xeon use a second QPI each to connect with each other - which is why the Core i7 9xx series cannot be used with Intel 55xx (dual socket) LGA1366 motherboards.

EDIT: Might need a bigger (or multiple) PSU.
    Peter Tan reports that this mobo running 2 x Xeon @4.2GHz (1.4v) +12Gb RAM + 4 x GTX285 Classified (everything at full load) draws 1,390 watts....can't wait for the LN2 madness to begin!

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Should just be treated as multiple processes, as far as programs are concerned. The multi-CPU handling thing has been around for ages, used to be common in server applications prior to multi-core chips.

9. EVGA motherboard quaility has been very lacking as of late.

I hate to buy that sucker and have issues. Can you imagine Tech support to telling you "Pull the CPU, uuh, I mean CPUs" "Do you have a couple of extra CPUs lying around to try."

nah....

10. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 140   +31

One day, when I'm a billionaire...

11. Tizzlejack

Tizzlejack TS Rookie Posts: 26

SR = Super Record?
    I'm always put off by any technology that tags "super" in the name.
    That aside, I still wouldn't mind acquiring one of these.

12. I want 2 for my birthday

13. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

well at least it's an EVGA mobo that doesn't use a nvidia chipset...

14. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

No worries on that score. EVGA have been exclusively Intel for some time. You're much more likely to see an nVidia chipset on an....AMD socket motherboard;)

15. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

I went and send a mass spam to my msn messenger buddies to check this mothermotherboard out, and they all went crazy... all of them! lol

16. supyo

supyo TS Rookie Posts: 43

slick looking mobo!

17. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

The Inquirer have one running dual Xeon 5680s here.

They are using a pre launch Version 0.0 of the board but still managed to get the Xeons up to 5.6Ghz on Liquid Nitrogen.

18. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

This looks awesome lol. Maybe one day nice things like this will be affordable =P.

19. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 587   +34

Very sweet. Definitely for a specialty market.

20. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

Ok honestly, for a server yes this would be amazing.
    But having dual CPU's like this and huge amounts of RAM won't help you that much at all in gaming. I'd rather have a single 980X on a good X58 motherboard that I can put four HD 5870's on with 6-12GB of RAM. Not that I need that much power. :p

If you don't believe me Maximum PC had a "Dream PC" a long time ago that had dual GPU's crazy RAM like this would but setup as. And build like I described destroyed it in gaming.

Yeah gimme my dual Corsair HX-1000's. :)@ "Peter Tan reports that this mobo running 2 x Xeon @4.2GHz (1.4v) +12Gb RAM + 4 x GTX285 Classified (everything at full load) draws 1,390 watts....can't wait for the LN2 madness to begin!"

21. rajmond

rajmond TS Rookie Posts: 45

I think this is for now one of the most powerful motherbords... King of kings :)

22. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

What a freaking monster..I wonder how much power it'll draw if it's fully loaded!

23. Thompson

Thompson TS Rookie Posts: 65

That thing is a true MONSTER.
    Can any software or OS' even support that much damn power? That is off the hook.
    I might actually buy that if it's even worth it.

24. ToastOz

ToastOz TS Rookie Posts: 59

If people pay stupid money for 4 graphics cards than these things will sell like hot cakes.

25. ToastOz

ToastOz TS Rookie Posts: 59

I hate it when people say it does nothing for graphics when sli/crossfire for 3 or more gfx cards are bottle-necked by current processor speeds only.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.