EVGA Classified SR-2 fits twin six-core Xeon processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

EVGA has launched the "mother of all motherboards," a dual-socket PCB capable of housing two of Intel's six-core Xeon processors. Officially dubbed the Classified SR-2, the board uses Intel's 5220 chipset and has twin LGA1366 sockets, providing the foundation for a colossal 12-core, 24-threaded monster box. It's worth noting that Intel's Core i7-980X isn't supported.

Along with space for two server-grade chips, the motherboard houses 12 DIMM slots with support for up to 48GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, and seven PCIe x16/8 slots supporting up to four-way SLI or CrossFireX. It also has dual gigabit Ethernet, two SATA III, six SATA II, two eSATA, two USB 3.0, and six rear-mounted USB 2.0 ports, as well as eight-channel HD audio.

Obviously squeezing all of that onto an ATX board would be a nightmare, so the Classified SR-2 makes use of the new HPTX form factor and measures 15x13.6-inches. To accompany the board, EVGA will introduce a new PSU rated at 1200W, with a peak power output of 1500W and six +12v rails capable of pumping 38A each.

EVGA is currently selling the Classified SR-2 for $600. No word on pricing for the identically-branded PSU, but some say it's a rebadged Antec TPQ-1200, and that's fetching around $250.

Permalink to story.

LOL...holy crap that is most definitely "the mother" of all motherboards. If you completely loaded it up with the two processors (12 cores) and 48 GB of RAM, what could you possibly use it for? Run Crysis at 500 fps? :p

Uhm.... are there even any application that support TWO physical cpus.....??? or how the hell does that work

Uhm.... are there even any application that support TWO physical cpus.....??? or how the hell does that work

Software applications, at least in general, make no distinction between the number of sockets. One eight core CPU or two quad-cores, for example still represents eight cores.
As to how many app's would benefit from sixteen physical cores and sixty-four PCIe lanes...well, I'd hazard a guess and say this mobo + seven single slot 9800GT's (or similar) would make an interesting Folding @ Home rig.
As for how it works. In much the same way as the desktop X58 chipset works, except that Xeon CPU's have two QPI's (QuickPath Interconnect) instead of one. Where the Core i7 9xx series use a QPI to connect the CPU to the chipset, the Xeon use a second QPI each to connect with each other - which is why the Core i7 9xx series cannot be used with Intel 55xx (dual socket) LGA1366 motherboards.

EDIT: Might need a bigger (or multiple) PSU.
Peter Tan reports that this mobo running 2 x Xeon @4.2GHz (1.4v) +12Gb RAM + 4 x GTX285 Classified (everything at full load) draws 1,390 watts....can't wait for the LN2 madness to begin!

Deso said:

Should just be treated as multiple processes, as far as programs are concerned. The multi-CPU handling thing has been around for ages, used to be common in server applications prior to multi-core chips.

EVGA motherboard quaility has been very lacking as of late.

I hate to buy that sucker and have issues. Can you imagine Tech support to telling you "Pull the CPU, uuh, I mean CPUs" "Do you have a couple of extra CPUs lying around to try."

nah....

SR = Super Record?
I'm always put off by any technology that tags "super" in the name.
That aside, I still wouldn't mind acquiring one of these.

I went and send a mass spam to my msn messenger buddies to check this mothermotherboard out, and they all went crazy... all of them! lol

The Inquirer have one running dual Xeon 5680s here.

They are using a pre launch Version 0.0 of the board but still managed to get the Xeons up to 5.6Ghz on Liquid Nitrogen.

This looks awesome lol. Maybe one day nice things like this will be affordable =P.

Ok honestly, for a server yes this would be amazing.
But having dual CPU's like this and huge amounts of RAM won't help you that much at all in gaming. I'd rather have a single 980X on a good X58 motherboard that I can put four HD 5870's on with 6-12GB of RAM. Not that I need that much power. :p

If you don't believe me Maximum PC had a "Dream PC" a long time ago that had dual GPU's crazy RAM like this would but setup as. And build like I described destroyed it in gaming.

Yeah gimme my dual Corsair HX-1000's. :)@ "Peter Tan reports that this mobo running 2 x Xeon @4.2GHz (1.4v) +12Gb RAM + 4 x GTX285 Classified (everything at full load) draws 1,390 watts....can't wait for the LN2 madness to begin!"

That thing is a true MONSTER.
Can any software or OS' even support that much damn power? That is off the hook.
I might actually buy that if it's even worth it.

I hate it when people say it does nothing for graphics when sli/crossfire for 3 or more gfx cards are bottle-necked by current processor speeds only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back