EVGA releases update to overclock GTX 460 by 7%

Matthew DeCarlo

EVGA has released an update that should squeeze a little extra juice out of what is already one of today's best mainstream graphics card. The FPB (Free Performance Boost) BIOS update applies to a couple of the company's GTX 460 models and pushes the core and shader clock frequencies from 675/1350MHz to 720/1440MHz -- a 7% increase. Additionally, it unlocks the fan speed so it can be set to 100% via the EVGA Precision overclocking utility.

Only 768-P3-1360-XX and 01G-P3-1371-XX parts are eligible for the speed gain, while the fan tweak applies to those as well as 768-P3-1362-XX and 01G-P3-1373 cards. The latter two ship factory overclocked at 763/1526MHz if you're wondering why they didn't get a boost. To update: download the proper file below, extract the contents, close open programs, run update.exe, tap Y to begin, reboot once complete, and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Permalink to story.

A stock clocked GTX 460 could become something of a collectors piece.
I presume there are already adventurous people out their attempting to flash their stock non-EVGA cards with this BIOS.

I know how that is, I've increase voltage and settings on my card. Definately no warranty now.

I'm planning on buying two GTX 460's in the next two weeks to build a new SLI system. This is helping me decide which brand I want... ;)

Awesome, would this work on the MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 768 mb? Though i'm not sure if the stock ocs are better than the evga ones... hmm.... Hopefully they do :D Then i can give my tweaktown card a bit more of a tweak. xD

HaMsTeYr, I wouldn't worry about it it. The MSI card is already clocked to 725. I'm betting you haven't even received the card yet from MSI and you're planning to flash the BIOS ! :grinthumb
BTW , congrats on the win. I would have posted on the TT thread but it seems to have been derailed into talk of air coolers.
If you're really keen on voiding the MSI warranty, wait until the GTX 460 is supported by NiBiTor.

ahaha, damn right, i haven't received it yet but i'm already planning on how far i can take it lol. But yes, i'm not THAT keen on voiding the warranty... Temporary overclocks with MSI Afterburner won't kill me anyway. lol

Oh, it derailed into air coolers AFTER the draw though. hahaha. Before that it was pretty serious and on track. Never really expected to win it but now that i have hearing "GTX 460" gets me so thrilled xD

Although slightly off topic, I cant help but wondering how fast ps4 era graphics will be. Will two gtx 475 or gtx 480 be competitive with ps4 ? And will xbox 720 have directx 12?

Well, on that topic, i'm expecting next gen consoles to at least have hardware level tessellation. Probably the power of a 480 but by the time PS4 or 720 comes around, we'd already have a Radeon HD 7xxx and Geforce GTX 600s maybe.

Pity that my chipset only allows for Crossfire, or I'd have likely traded in my pair of 4870's for one of these beauties. Eating over 450 watts of juice at load makes things a little too toasty in the summer.

hamsteyr said:
Well, on that topic, i'm expecting next gen consoles to at least have hardware level tessellation. Probably the power of a 480 but by the time PS4 or 720 comes around, we'd already have a Radeon HD 7xxx and Geforce GTX 600s maybe.

PFFT. You expect consoles running hardware like the 7800GT to just jump to the GTX 480 level. Or do you refer to just the tesselation. I'll guarantee it would be more like the tesselation power of the HD 5750. Consoles are garbage.

They should make the consoles abit more upgradeble, u can allready upgrade the hardrive on a console y not do the same with other parts.

Guest said:
They should make the consoles abit more upgradeble, u can allready upgrade the hardrive on a console y not do the same with other parts.

The key to consoles is their uniformity, making them easier for developers to code for, and for companies to service. Upgradeable consoles sound a lot like... PC's. :p

princeton said:
hamsteyr said:

PFFT. You expect consoles running hardware like the 7800GT to just jump to the GTX 480 level. Or do you refer to just the tesselation. I'll guarantee it would be more like the tesselation power of the HD 5750. Consoles are garbage.

... More of like just the tesselation lol. I'm no console fanboi my friend. >.> I did hear somewhere the next gen consoles were going to try and heavily adopt that...

Still, i don't think current consoles are like a 7800 GT... maybe more of a 8800 GT or 9800 GTX+ or something. Okay, maybe less, seeing as how some of them stuggle at 1080p games.

Back