Firefox 15 fixes add-on memory leaks, enables true silent updates

By Jos
Aug 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla has announced the release of Firefox 15, bringing with it the usual round of fixes, as well as a handful of major improvements to performance and stability. Most notably, the latest version of the open source web browser promises...

Read more
  2. The add-on SiteAdvisor 3.4.1 was an extreme case, creating ghost windows (reasons of memory leaks), for every(!) page that was opened in Firefox. Most add-ons are far from being this problematic, and many of the most used ones (e.g. AdBlock Plus, Firebug or Video DownloadHelper) do not leak memory at all.
    Be advised, GreaseMonkey users may have problems with certain scripts. If you are one of them, you may want to either disable the problematic scripts, or update GM.
  3. Cant wait
  4. Upgraded to FF15 this morning and it looks good and feels a bit faster.
  5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

That demois actually pretty entertaining for a good 30 minutes or so. Definitely can't wait for the day games are that kind of quality in browser :)
  6. About time these went stable I am on 18 atm never had many issues with nightly I would recommend aurora though. its pretty stable for a build that gets updated almost every day
  7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,601   +370

Had some youtube laggyness... seems to be due to session restore settings from my googlings.
  8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

I'm left wondering if the silent update feature has been tested with a limited user account.
    I tried to read up on it but could not find a definitive answer.
    I have some WinXP nettops setup where the logged on user is a "guest"
    So updating will in that case not work the old way, and it actually results in a catch 22 because the install fails but then the next time you try to start Firefox it tries to install the update again...
  9. teribithia

teribithia TS Rookie

Firefox now want to beat chrome in version update :)
  10. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +41

This all sounds very promising. I was a long time Firefox advocate but finally switched to chrome about a year ago because it was noticeably faster for regular use, and seemingly twice as fast for use over RDP (I have no idea why).

However, I've always felt something lacking in chrome's extensions because developers just aren't granted as much power over the browser as they are in Firefox. If Mozilla can streamline Firefox, I'll definitely be consider switching back.
  11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,601   +370

I think the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" should be the process trying to run the update so it should have admin privileges. Yet to confirm!