Galaxy Note III: The next, next big thing from Samsung in 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Galaxy S4 hasn’t even seen the light of day yet we are already hearing rumblings about the next, next big thing from Samsung. That device is said to be the successor to the Galaxy Note II which is tipped to carry a massive 5.9-inch OLED screen, according to a Samsung official speaking on condition of anonymity with The Korea Times.

The smartphone will be powered by Samsung’s new Exynos eight-core processor although we are told not to expect flexible display technology at this stage in the game.

galaxy note samsung galaxy note 2 successor

The device is expected to be unveiled in the latter half of the year as part of Samsung’s plans to solidify their position in the rapidly-growing phablet market, the publication said. Rivals Huawei and ZTE have both introduced larger-than-average handsets, seemingly moving into Samsung’s turf.

Phones with larger displays appear to be the hot trend in 2013 as Asus, LG, Samsung and Sony all have models in the pipeline with 5-inch screens or larger. Despite this shift, however, Apple’s iPhone 5S is still expected to carry the same 4-inch display that debuted on the handset last year.

A top-ranked executive at one of Samsung’s parts suppliers told the paper that despite the fact that phones with a 5-inch to 6-inch display are stretching the limits of traditional pockets, well-made phablets using bezel-less designs have been warmly received. The person said users prefer bigger phones and they use them more often. As such, Samsung will be more focused on larger phones moving forward.

Permalink to story.

There isnt much more money to be made in PCs... at least not nearly as much as what there is in smart phones. So yea... you can expect they they will be shipping out 2 - 3 phones a year. But hell, Samsung makes everything...

Wow, I just got a Note II a couple months ago. Now there is a Note III...

Well, considering these phones retail for $800, and you compare this to $800 worth PC parts.. the difference is huge. I don't know why $800 is the norm for phones.

You don't need the latest phone all the time. Constant refreshes means that whenever you do upgrade, you have better options and newer technology. They could put out a phone every month for all I care.
Well Of course I don't.. it was just a little surprising lol.

Well, considering these phones retail for $800, and you compare this to $800 worth PC parts.. the difference is huge. I don't know why $800 is the norm for phones.
Miniature form factor, extremely high pixel density touch screens, plethora of networking capabilities, probably costs a lot to make an assembly line that does all of that stuff for each model. Have to get some return on investment.

Speaking to a manager at a local phone reseller, the other thing is for an Android phone, the retail markup is quite staggering. 100%+ markups on release just at the retail store let alone the supply chain. iPhones run at MUCH lower margins at retail. Android phones marked up that high because they can. Notice how after 2 months you get that $800 phone for $600 or less?

I won't pay more than a couple hundred for a phone. Too much risk on the pocketbook, IMO.

Samsung is the new Apple
The copycat company, yes.

"Samsung will be more focused on larger phones moving forward"...........[FONT=arial]Preposterous!!!!![/FONT]
Agreed, yes. Large phones are not cool. I don't like it. I don't even like the iPad Mini. What a load of bloated technology.

Agreed, yes. Large phones are not cool. I don't like it. I don't even like the iPad Mini. What a load of bloated technology.
I know plenty of people who have bought a Note. They all had a bit of apprehension over the size but after actually owning and using it, every single one of them without exception love it. To each their own I guess?

Indeed, you said it. Some people think they're kick-tail. Others, like me for example, think it's a bit too much.

My Android is 3.7" screen, fits nicely in my pocket, and I have no general trouble with size, reading of the screen, etc.

But anyway, you want a large phone, go for it. Takes more power, gives you more space to have fun on apps, and take it anywhere with you.

I don't think the Note 3 will be much bigger than the 2. The Xperia Z has shown that larger screens can fit on phones roughly the same size as competitors because of a smaller bezel size. I think we'll see bezels get smaller and smaller this year resulting in larger screens but no noticeable change in handset size.

Those huge screens seem a little much to me, but I thought the same thing before I decided to get the Galaxy S3 (4.8", it had great reviews so I got it anyways), and I ended up getting used to it in a day or two. Now I consider it the greatest phone I've ever laid my hands on. My brother also got the Note II and loves it.

I think it's entirely plausible that people are starting to lean more towards bigger screens. I'm not sure about 5.9", but at least the 4.8-5.0" phones turned out to be pretty epic.

Back