GTX 460 or HD 5770?

Rage_3K_Moiz

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new card, and from what I can tell, these are the top picks from NVIDIA & ATI vis-a-vis price and performance. I just can't get to deciding which would be the better deal, so I'd be glad if any of you could shed any light on this topic.

GTX 460 would be a lot better than the 5770, the GTX 460 has a bunch of overclocking headroom as well if you are using MSI After Burner.

Hi Moiz,
Is this a test?:p:wave:
The 768 460's run close to the 5830's and about 10-15% faster than the 5770's
the 1024 460's run about 25-30% faster than the 5770's and 10-15% faster than the 5830.
better competition for the 460 is the 5830 and can be had for about $200 USD. I have not been able to play with a 5830 yet, but I have 5850's, and if they are indicative of the 5830's they have quite a lot of OC headroom as the 460's do. The short version, the 460 beats up on the 5770 pretty good.

here's a rather good roundup of the 460's from Guru 3D

http://www.guru3d.com/article/axle-geforce-gtx-460-review/1

Thanks everyone, it seems like the GTX 460 is the better deal.

@Greg, nah, I was just in a bit of a dilemma since the 5770 is the only ATI card that I can find locally that is also within my intended price range; the 5830 is nowhere to be seen.

Again, thanks for the help everyone. I'll bump this thread once I get the card! :D

Ok update guys; I've pulled the trigger on a new case (the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package) and I'm looking to order a GTX 460 768MB from Fry's. Thanks for all the help! :)

BTW, can you guys recommend another online retailer that'd ship internationally and accept an international (i.e. non-US issued) credit card?

Hi all. I am new especially registered to suggest the buyer that accepts paypal and shipping worldwide.
I have bought my Galaxy GTX460 1GB Super OC, it says 800MHZ but is real 810. =)
so you can find at eBay - Seller User ID: bid$buy
also link
Code:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120600857147#ht_1888wt_1137

Hello Rage

How about the EVGA GTX 460 superclocked EE 1GB version?

I just bought these, but I haven't installed them since I'm still buying my parts.

Rage in my personal opinion I say get the 1gb version of the gtx 460 its only like 25 dollars more and will be better overall

mo definitely get the 1GB version. the performance difference is rather obvious from the 786MB version from 1680 x 1050 and up.

Hmm ...... I wonder if ATI can pull something reasonably competitive with HD 6xxx series, if they did, I think the likes of GTX460 will be first ones to get hit and become uncompetitive, i.e. price vs performance wise.

Opps sorry for double clicking arrr posting ..... I hope some moderator will erase this particular post. Thanks

Hmm ...... I wonder if ATI can pull something reasonably competitive with HD 6xxx series, if they did, I think the likes of GTX460 will be first ones to get hit and become uncompetitive, i.e. price vs performance wise.

I think the HD 6770 is likely to be the first card released (25th October?) precisely to combat the GTX 460. From appearances it looks like AMD have made a more robust card (read larger with higher TDP - 2 x 6pin PCIe as opposed to the single 6 pin of the 5770) with only a single Crossfire connector-possibly so as not to damage HD 6870/6970 sales,...again shades of the GTX460.
All this assuming that this isn't a prototype/mock-up.

It has 256bit memory interface as well, interesting, well that make me inclined to say that (assuming as you said it is the real thing) don't buy just yet, if i am planning to spend money right now on a graphic card like GTX460, I would hold for few weeks, instead of jumping the gun. But in this specific case, it depends on Rage's need priority.

Hmm, looks like I'll hold off the purchase then; I needed the new case more than the card actually, and I'll be buying a new screen in October anyways, so a new card then will be a plus I think.

Thanks for your input guys! :D

Back