Latest Windows 11 Insider build adds tabs to File Explorer

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Windows users have wanted Microsoft to bring tabs to File Explorer for years. The company is taking another stab at it in the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview. Let's hope it reaches the public build this time.

File Explorer tabs form the primary new functionality that Windows 11 Insider Preview build 25136 introduces this week. As users would expect, the feature works similarly to web browser tabs — letting users switch between different folders from the top row of File Explorer. Evidence that the much-requested capability was coming first appeared in preview builds in March. Build 25136 also made Quick Access easier to reach in the left navigation pane.

Microsoft last tried to give the File Explorer tabs in 2018 when they appeared in a Windows 10 Insider Preview under the name "Sets." It was supposed to use a single window to organize not only File Explorer tabs but also other programs. However, the company eventually removed the feature before reaching general Windows users.

Also see: 5 Windows File Explorer Alternatives You Should Try

Those who want tabs in File Explorer without installing Windows 11 or Previews have plenty of third-party alternatives. Files is an open-source app that tries to look more like the rest of the Windows 11 UI while offering tabs, tags, and other additional features. Another option is RX Explorer, which has a unique visual aesthetic.

Windows 11's new Preview build also gives the taskbar dynamic widgets. They can display constantly-updating information about things like the weather, sporting events, or finance.

Permalink to story.

Still tries to force you to use a Microsoft account.
Still has vague icons instead of human-readable words for basic editing functions.
Still sells your private data to anyone and everyone.
Still provides absolutely NO added value compared to previous versions of Windows.

Still has vague icons instead of human-readable words for basic editing functions.
Still provides absolutely NO added value compared to previous versions of Windows.

I must say I am happy to see this feature. I'm not sure I agree with all you say. I guess "added" value is in the eye of the beholder but I have always believed that the File Explorer should have tabs, just like browsers have had for years. My god, what took so long?

Better not touch the apps suggested at the end. They ridiculously requiring too much permission to run as a file explorer. Just take the Files app as an example. According to their MS Store page,

This app can
-Use all system resources
-File System
-Run as administrator
-Use data stored on external storage device
-Access your Internet connection
-Access your home or work network.

It doesn't matter what feature the software provides that require this much permissions. With this kind of permission setting, the app can do almost anything it want on the computer. Unless your really trust the developer, I don't recommend anyone to use them until the developer update the app to just request the right amount of permission.

Open source app doesn't mean its safe. The app downloaded from store doesn't necessarily the same as the one build from the source.

Yes, I am paranoid.

Better not touch the apps suggested at the end. They ridiculously requiring too much permission to run as a file explorer. Just take the Files app as an example. According to their MS Store page,

This app can
-File System
-Run as administrator

It doesn't matter what feature the software provides that require this much permissions. With this kind of permission setting, the app can do almost anything it want on the computer. Unless your really trust the developer, I don't recommend anyone to use them until the developer update the app to just request the right amount of permission.

Open source app doesn't mean its safe. The app downloaded from store doesn't necessarily the same as the one build from the source.

Yes, I am paranoid.

The last 2 are a bit odd I must admit myself. But, most apps get access to the Internet and the justification can be by way of keeping the software updated and news about the app itself. So, I'm not sure this is anything new here.

I feel sorry for those who paid for my private data coming from my Windows PC. It’s a gaming/simrig. I do no surfing on it. I keep no private data on it. All they know is that there’s some individual out there who spends too much money on high end hardware and obscure boutique flight sim peripherals to feed his cravings for simulators, indie games, strategy games and the occasional AAA game.

Not that things are much better on my Apple devices. I watch some racing sim and truck sim videos and Google is like “He must be looking for a new car!” *facepalm*. I also love how I decide I need something specific, like a new electric toothbrush, immediately order it online and then get ads for said product for a week after. I mean, I already bought it?

Jeezus christ, long anticipated "feature" on the best ever OS is god damn tabs!? What is this? A coding contest for 12 year olds? What trash has windows become? I'd be embarrassed to call this an announcement.

Last edited:
Come on, let's give them a little credit for finally doing something right.

Now,would you kindly focus on memory usage, wonky driver support and driver issues with updates, poor functionality esp in control panel....

Jeezus christ, long anticipated "feature" on the best version of the OS is god damn tabs!? What is this? A coding contest for 12 year olds? What trash has windows become? I'd be embarrassed to call this an announcement.

Exactly. And "most requested feature" by whom, anyone who lacks the brain to figure out better alternatives have existed for 20 years? I've been using QDir precisely because you can see 50% more folder content without the absurd "wall of whitespace" of Microsoft's "modern" design even before the 2-4 simultaneous pane just perfect for Ultrawide's... We're also overdue for another "let's clap & cheer because Microsoft added the ability to 'scroll large files' to Notepad" infomercial whilst every man and their dog has been using Notepad++ since XP... :laughing:

This app can
-File System
-Run as administrator

Yes, I am paranoid.
If you're that paranoid about those permissions, you must not own anything that connects to the internet or a cell tower...

I feel like a the ability to split the view into two or more panes, would be far more useful. This is something that other file explorers in other systems have been doing for years now.

1. Correct
2. Depends on the user's perspective
3. Totally incorrect
4. Incorrect

If you're that paranoid about those permissions, you must not own anything that connects to the internet or a cell tower...
Actually, even if the app is 100% offline, it can still be harmful. As long as you give the app permission to access all your files, it can still encrypt your files and ask you for money to decrypt them. You can imagine it as a ransomware attack but you download the ransomware yourself to the your computer. That's why I mention about "trust". Obviously, there will be more trust when a software is backed by a registered company like Microsoft / Apple than an unknown group with less than a year history which upload the app to the store using a personal developer account.

Actually, even if the app is 100% offline, it can still be harmful. As long as you give the app permission to access all your files, it can still encrypt your files and ask you for money to decrypt them. You can imagine it as a ransomware attack but you download the ransomware yourself to the your computer. That's why I mention about "trust". Obviously, there will be more trust when a software is backed by a registered company like Microsoft / Apple than an unknown group with less than a year history which upload the app to the store using a personal developer account.
They have been around for over 3 years: https://github.com/files-community/Files/releases?page=7
And another alternative that looks like explorer and has tabs and other features explorer lacks, has also been around for that long: https://github.com/omeryanar/FileExplorer/releases

They have been around for over 3 years: https://github.com/files-community/Files/releases?page=7
And another alternative that looks like explorer and has tabs and other features explorer lacks, has also been around for that long: https://github.com/omeryanar/FileExplorer/releases
Ah, that last sentence is just an example comparing about trust toward software from established company and software from unknown individuals or groups. I am not particularly talking about Files. A longer history do help increase the trust a little.

Back