Looking for the best free Media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

skos

Looking for the best free Media player. What do you have & why do you like it?

I currently have Media Jukebox, its ok but it does not find a lot of cover art and song info that is on a CD that I am playing from

Hi skos

I personally just enjoy Winamp (www.winamp.com). It's low on resources and manages my playlists pretty well (I don't need much more done) ...

If you have an I-pod, then I-tunes is the obvious way to go .... although you could go to www.mediamonkey.com and download that program too .... it's got quite a few applications installed onto it which might be what you're looking for (can also synchronise your I-pod and Mp3s) .... Real player is another option ... www.real.com

For video purposes, I enjoy VLC Media player .... http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/ .... excellent! Does not need any other codecs and can play and repair almost any video file.

Hope this helps!

Spyder_1386 :)

Like Spyder_1386, I’m a fan of Winamp, when I’m not using Windows Media Player. It’s tiny (in terms of footprint on my computer and the amount of RAM it eats up) and hasn’t really failed me yet. I’ve been using it since back in college when we ran our playlists off it for parties :approve:

Cheers,

I own a Zune, so I use the Zune software. But the software is free and available for anyone. If you like keeping your music organized I'd definitely recommend the Zune software. It's also pretty accurate in finding album information and art.

http://zune.net

WMP is my Default Player, I use it for everything. However, I Use VLC for watching unsupported movie formats such as MKV or MOV (That's right I do not have QuickTime installed. Yes, this also means that I do not have Itunes if you were wondering). I also use Winamp, but only for the free channel streams.
I no problem using WMP all you need to do is get the correct codec pack and you are all set.

I use VLC media player too. Dont need to download codecs ( Well for everything i've tried on it anyways ) so it's good to go :)

VLC is great, but I prefer the easy-to-use video resizing options on MPC. VLC resizes the entire video, but you can't modify the video size inside the window like in MPC.

This might have been added recently, but I'm kinda used to MPC now, so using VLC is a bit annoying.

I'm probably just used to MPC over VLC too, but I think MPC starts up and plays videos a little faster on my computer, and VLC comes with 30mb of its own lower quality codecs, k-lite codec pack with MPC pretty much covers everything in a quick, easy, and lite package.

I've heard good things about foobar from one of my techie friends-but I go with iTunes simply because apple bent me over when I bought my first iPod. Now I'm too lazy to find a way to un-DRM my files for free and sync my phone through another program....

I've heard good things about foobar from one of my techie friends-but I go with iTunes simply because apple bent me over when I bought my first iPod. Now I'm too lazy to find a way to un-DRM my files for free and sync my phone through another program....
Actually a songbird plug in covers that, I wasn't sure if it would work, until my friend brought his ipod over. MPC is best ^^.

I also use Winamp. Or I use windows media player and install K-lite codec. It supports almost all the video formats. very useful.

I currently have Media Jukebox, its ok but it does not find a lot of cover art and song info that is on a CD that I am playing from
Oh yeah, @thread starter, songbird has plugins to automatically grab song lyrics and album art. I think it recently left the beta stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back