Naughty Dog dishes the dirt on 'The Last of Us' coming to PS5 and PC

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Thursday's Summer Game Fest was full of reveals and updates for games coming to all platforms. Developers provided new info on upcoming, highly-anticipated games between the gameplay and cinematic teasers. If you're interested in just the trailers, check out our roundup.

Naughty Dog provided a better glimpse into what we could expect from its next-gen remake of The Last of Us. Naughty Dog co-president Neil Druckmann said the remake is a faithful reproduction of TLOU, utilizing the same performances from the original cast. Of course, the graphics are enhanced — as if the game could look any more stunning than the PS4 Pro remaster — judge for yourself in the trailer below.

However, the game is not just getting a fresh coat of paint to leverage the power of the PS5 and PCs. Without getting into specifics, Druckmann says the team overhauled the combat system and AI. The game will also take advantage of Sony's 3D spatial audio, which should add an immersive experience when hiding from the Clickers as they attempt to locate you through echolocation. Gameplay will also implement the DualSense controller's adaptive triggers and improved haptic feedback.

Naughty Dog joins the growing list of developers implementing accessibility patches into their games. The remake will have many more features to aid disabled players than the original or even The Last of Us Part II, which won the Innovation in Accessibility trophy at the 2020 Game Awards Show.

The game will release in three versions. The base game is $70 and includes the excellent Left Behind prequel DLC. The Digital Deluxe Edition goes for $80 and unlocks additional content, including explosive arrows, weapon skins, a speedrun mode, and modifiers for faster crafting and healing.

The premium Firefly Edition is a physical collectors version that includes everything from the lower-priced entries and throws in a steelbook cover and four issues of the comic "The Last of Us: American Dreams." Unfortunately, this edition sold out in a heartbeat.

Preorders for digital and physical versions are already open, with early comers getting a couple of extra perks — bonus supplements and bonus weapon parts.

Druckmann also revealed a few details about the upcoming multiplayer TLOU, which is still in development. This version will not be just an MMO with TLOU characters. Druckmann said it is an entirely new story with never-before-seen characters, takes place in a new location, and is designed from the ground up as a standalone title.

"[It's] as big of as any of our single-player games that we've done, and in some ways bigger," said Druckmann.

The Naughty Dog boss didn't indicate whether TLOU multiplayer would be a free-to-play game, but it stands to reason that it will operate under a live-service model like Fortnite. So, free-to-play with microtransactions.

The Last of Us Part I launches for PlayStation 5 on September 2, 2022, with the PC version arriving sometime later. The Last of Us multiplayer doesn't yet have a release window, but Naughty Dog promises to bring us more information on it next year.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, no. Not for $70. Catch you at the 2025 steam winter sale.

MMmmmm.....agreed!!!! Epic has given new meaning to the words "My cup runneth over" with AAA titles that I might not even have a chance to finish before I'm dead. Especially, since I'm a casual gamer. I'll look at this game 5 years after launch when it's $5 or free.

Can't wait, but yet I will, this will be a $100+ in Australia, so I'll wait for at least a 50% discount in a TEAM sale.

This is the one PS3/4 exclusive I wanted to play. Not enough to buy a console on its own, but in 2025 when I saw an old PS3 cheap, ideally with the game, at a garage sale or whatever the equivalent will be then, I'd hoped to try it.

Even better that I'll now be able to play it on PC, and with mouse/keyboard. Although I'll wait till at least half off, $70 is too steep for a game. Though admittedly I'm cheap, I never buy games at full price unless they're $40 or less.

I never did finish this, but wouldn't junp back in at $70. Happy to wait a couple of years until they give it away.

Oh another kid that never heard of inflation, alright then.
Distribution costs have shrunk considerably since the big box PC games' days. There is also a much larger market for games (and is it easy to distribute internationally these days) hence to suggest inflation is the only driver of gaming production costs is simplistic at best. The common architecture across 3 of the 4 main gaming platforms also reduces development costs.

And that is exactly what they deserve after the ****-up with TLOU2.

I'm not giving WokeDog a cent on any game going forward.
What's your problem with TLOU2 though?

I keep reading these complaints, but still can't wrap my head around it.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

It was surely hard to swallow how we lost an important character, but it's just part of the story. Would you have been happier if it was essentially the same TLOU1 with different villains? They kill all the villains, all the good guys keep living happily ever after, all is well. Oh no, then you would've complained they're just milking the franchise, of course. No, a sequel needs changes, a catharsis, something dramatic, to bring something new to the table, to have a new story, to keep it evolving. In this case, it was that loss. If you need recycled episodes where EVERYTHING returns to where it was in the beginning, watch some junk Hollywood show where they keep you calm and collected for 20 seasons, because nothing ever changes. And leave this game alone.

The other complaint is that OH NO it's dykes! I mean, who the actual f cares? Will it make you sleep better if it's a random guy instead of a random girl? What does it matter, seriously.

The final complaint that's brought up usually is the fact that Abby is extremely masculine, like trans level masculine. I mean, yeah, it's weird to play her with those huge shoulders and all, but again, if this makes you comment under all TLOU2 articles to let the world know how much you hate the game, you have problems.

I really don't see how anyone can consider TLOU2 "f*cked up". I think TLOU2 is an awesome game (9/10), while TLOU1 is a masterpiece (10/10). Naturally, it' almost impossible to top something as good as TLOU1, so it's perfectly fine.

The only minor complaint that I have is that the connection between Abby and Lev is kinda forced like the Joel-Ellie one, but again, isn't something that will f up the whole game irreparably.

It was surely hard to swallow how we lost an important character, but it's just part of the story. Would you have been happier if it was essentially the same TLOU1 with different villains? They kill all the villains, all the good guys keep living happily ever after, all is well. Oh no, then you would've complained they're just milking the franchise, of course. No, a sequel needs changes, a catharsis, something dramatic, to bring something new to the table, to have a new story, to keep it evolving. In this case, it was that loss. If you need recycled episodes where EVERYTHING returns to where it was in the beginning, watch some junk Hollywood show where they keep you calm and collected for 20 seasons, because nothing ever changes. And leave this game alone.

The other complaint is that OH NO it's dykes! I mean, who the actual f cares? Will it make you sleep better if it's a random guy instead of a random girl? What does it matter, seriously.

The final complaint that's brought up usually is the fact that Abby is extremely masculine, like trans level masculine. I mean, yeah, it's weird to play her with those huge shoulders and all, but again, if this makes you comment under all TLOU2 articles to let the world know how much you hate the game, you have problems.

I really don't see how anyone can consider TLOU2 "f*cked up". I think TLOU2 is an awesome game (9/10), while TLOU1 is a masterpiece (10/10). Naturally, it' almost impossible to top something as good as TLOU1, so it's perfectly fine.

The only minor complaint that I have is that the connection between Abby and Lev is kinda forced like the Joel-Ellie one, but again, isn't something that will f up the whole game irreparably.

It's not the loss of a major character or the fact that she's a **** or that she's masculine. I actually love masculine women, me and my girl do spartan marathon running.

What makes me and most people mad about it is that it road the woke trend trying to be daring and progressive. It was praised by political groups for trying to make a statement and normalize these trends in society. Meanwhile, we just wanted to play a game. That's all it was, we just wanted to play a game and not get involved in politics.

So much of our lives involves politics on a daily basis that gaming is an escape from the world. I know this is going to sound dumb considering the demographic I'm referring to(gamers), but gaming is a "safe space" that people retreat to. TLOU2 violated that safe space. That's why people are mad

It's not the loss of a major character or the fact that she's a **** or that she's masculine. I actually love masculine women, me and my girl do spartan marathon running.

What makes me and most people mad about it is that it road the woke trend trying to be daring and progressive. It was praised by political groups for trying to make a statement and normalize these trends in society. Meanwhile, we just wanted to play a game. That's all it was, we just wanted to play a game and not get involved in politics.

So much of our lives involves politics on a daily basis that gaming is an escape from the world. I know this is going to sound dumb considering the demographic I'm referring to(gamers), but gaming is a "safe space" that people retreat to. TLOU2 violated that safe space. That's why people are mad
Couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

Here you go @bviktor - that's my response too.

It will probably be available for 'free' within a month anyways.
Sony never uses denuvo so it will likley be the same day it's released if not somehow before.

Sony so greedy they don't even want to pay for denuvo to protect their game (since it's "old")

Oh another kid that never heard of inflation, alright then.

I think I’ve heard of it… That’s the term for blindly throwing money at shiny new things without regard for the competition or my own financial independence, correct? Forcing me to surrender my choice to vote with my wallet?

To be fair I am a cheapskate and maybe even a freeloader when it comes to gaming software, which doesn’t do the industry much good I suppose, but the big publishers were dipping their toes on the $70 price point long before inflation started to bite. Essentially asking, “Can we get away with this?”

I think I’ve heard of it… That’s the term for blindly throwing money at shiny new things without regard for the competition or my own financial independence, correct? Forcing me to surrender my choice to vote with my wallet?

To be fair I am a cheapskate and maybe even a freeloader when it comes to gaming software, which doesn’t do the industry much good I suppose, but the big publishers were dipping their toes on the $70 price point long before inflation started to bite. Essentially asking, “Can we get away with this?”

I'm kinda similar to you. I don't see myself ever purchasing a video game again in my lifetime. Just because of the way the world has evolved. It's now a consumer's market so to speak. The choices we have of games to play today is mind-boggling. And they just keep coming. And all these companies keep giving away games for free: GOG, Epic Games, Steam, Ubisoft, even the publishers themselves give their old games away.

If I were pirating these games I would feel bad. Accepting them as they are given away for free is not something I should be ashamed of. I never had the desire to buy them when they were charging money, at least not enough to pull the trigger, so I honestly don't think there is any loss to the publisher. But that's my opinion.

I just snagged Venitca from GOG during their sale. So, I played it a bit. It's a very good quality game. I don't know if I'll ever finish it but I'll take them for free.

Maybe the reason people hated on the game was that it just wasn't very fun to play and not for the reasons you listed above.

Back