Nvidia's upcoming RTX 4090 graphics card could be two times faster than an RTX 3090

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Team Green's much-awaited next-generation flagship graphics card isn't ready yet, but the rumors around it are intensifying. One such rumor suggests the RTX 4090 could offer close to double the performance of the RTX 3090, which was considered a monster GPU less than two years ago.

Nvidia's RTX 4090 could be the only graphics card that will make it to store shelves in time for the holiday season, at least according to the rumor mill. This has invited speculation that the rest of the Ada Lovelace lineup might need more time in the oven, but that remains to be seen.

We already know that Intel's Arc GPUs are unlikely to challenge next-generation graphics cards from both Team Green and Team Red, as even the high-end Arc A770 card is only designed as a competitor for mid-range cards like the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and the Radeon RX 6650 XT.

However, a leaked benchmark result suggests Nvidia is aiming high with the RTX 4000 series, which could give AMD some fierce competition for RDNA 3. According to reliable hardware leaker Kopite7kimi, the RTX 4090 can achieve a score in excess of 19,000 points in the 3D Mark Time Spy Extreme graphics test.

This would be an impressive result as it is significantly higher than the current world record for a single GPU. As of writing, that top spot belongs to an EVGA RTX 3090 Ti with a serious overclock (and exotic cooling) that achieved 14,600 points in the Time Spy Extreme graphics benchmark. The average score among all samples is just over 11,400 points, meaning the RTX 4090 could be over 66 percent faster in synthetic tests.

By comparison, the RTX 3090 can climb as high as 11,400 but the overall average is much lower at just a few hairs below 9,500 points. If the leaked benchmark results for the RTX 4090 are true, that would mean a generational leap in performance of close to 100 percent. It doesn't say anything about ray tracing performance, but it does lend some credibility to earlier rumors that Nvidia and AMD may be close to developing the first 100-teraflop consumer GPUs.

As usual, take this with a healthy dose of salt. That said, the RTX 4090 is expected to have 16,384 CUDA cores, or 56 percent more than the RTX 3090 and 52 percent more than the RTX 3090 Ti. If the rasterization performance of the RTX 4090 is as high as this leak seems to indicate, it will be interesting to learn how that gain was achieved. Most rumors so far point to higher clocks and much higher TDP, but we'll have to wait and see.

Masthead credit: Jose G. Ortega Castro

Permalink to story.

Right now, all of my favorite games are CPU-limited (i9-12900) not GPU (RTX3090). I’ll spend less $$ on a new CPU in 6 months and get better performance gains than I would on a new GPU for 6x $$.

Right now, all of my favorite games are CPU-limited (i9-12900) not GPU (RTX3090). I’ll spend less $$ on a new CPU in 6 months and get better performance gains than I would on a new GPU for 6x $$.

I'm in the same position. My Haswell i7-5960x is getting old & crusty and is holding back the 3080 in some games. A fast CPU with lots of on-chip cache would be very beneficial.

I'm curious all things being equal - I don't think I would choose these monstrosities over say a RTX 4080 if reasonably smaller and less power draw - even if same price . I'm sure I am not alone .
I can afford the power - But just don't want a silly build with lots of cooling , noise ? , crazy PSUs.
To be fair someone like QP would( hopefully is ok )- plays a game like MS flight simulator a lot - might benefit
TBF my family play a wide range of games - from ones that can run on any card to AAA games bought cheap .
So you are really looking at a lot of bother for 5% of your PC time .

Plus game developers don't target this as their average player
Plus with probably smart choices a RTX 3080/4080 at some adjusted settings will look nearly undistinguishable for a easy going person like me - compared to some one with a 4090 , just max it all = max it all . In fact I could even haver a more buttery smooth appearance than this stupidity for a few edge games - ie something adds 40% more processing power needed for a 3% gain .

So leave these cards to those who desire them - use for money more wisely and learn settings that get you what you want .

This is true for many things if life - sometimes understanding your tool is better than having best tool

Did we just come out of a coma? It's been reported next gen cards will be 80-110% faster than last gen for at least 6 months RDNA3 7600XT is said to be faster than 6900XT in rasterisation and as fast in RT.

If the power consumption will be as bad as rumours say - im off. I want a good culture of work, quiet, cool yet powerful pc. Obviously throwing more volts at silicon is one way to do it, but we need something better. Hopefully gen after come with a solution. Still need to see what amd will offer, but I probably will make a break for 1 or 2 generations.

I'm in the same position. My Haswell i7-5960x is getting old & crusty and is holding back the 3080 in some games. A fast CPU with lots of on-chip cache would be very beneficial.
Only reason they are coming out with faster cards is to get those ray tracing numbers up to par with the high framerates. Nvidia took eveyone to the bank the last two gens, this time they kids gonna add a Kilowatt to their parents energy bill lol, without the help of crypto. Add to that the extra money they can make by boosting prices. I was two genes below you with a i6 3770k. But I found a deal on a 5800x and a 6800xt. I'm content, until these drop down and the next gen CPUs saturate the market.

Do we know the ROP count on this thing yet? I'm guessing at least 144 or 160 ROPs, maybe even 192, and maybe over 448 TMUs

Only reason they are coming out with faster cards is to get those ray tracing numbers up to par with the high framerates. Nvidia took eveyone to the bank the last two gens, this time they kids gonna add a Kilowatt to their parents energy bill lol, without the help of crypto. Add to that the extra money they can make by boosting prices. I was two genes below you with a i6 3770k. But I found a deal on a 5800x and a 6800xt. I'm content, until these drop down and the next gen CPUs saturate the market.

They've dropped. I got a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC for $1700(NZD) in Jan 2021. It climbed to $2400 before being unavailable for months. Now it can be bought for $1450. Lots of 3xxx series cards available at decent prices. I would have thought kids will be going after these, and only adding the cost of an extra 100-150 Watts to their parent's power bill.

Well if it's true then congratulations to those users who play on 4k. They will be able to reach a stable 60fps, maybe even with RTX on. My curiosity now is the cooling solution and how bigger everything will be.

FS-JCI-YVFA-ChillerSilo-P1.jpg

It *could* swallow the sun.
It *could* dry the oceans.
It *could* turn the deserts to glass.

It won't do any of those, but there's nothing stopping me from claiming it *could*.

Come on techspot...if I want to read wccftech, I'll just visit them directly.

Agreed. It annoys the hell out of me.. All the articles stating 'blah blah could'.. Of course it could. Monkeys COULD fly out my *** well. Those Monkeys MAY be knife wielding ravenous sociopath monsters...

Back