OnLive offers free MicroConsole with Red Faction: Armageddon

Emil

Three months ago, OnLive offered a deal: if you pre-order Homefront on the OnLive Game Service, you'll get the OnLive Game System for free (while supplies last). Now the company is doing it all over again with a new game.

From now until June 6, 2011, if you preorder a Full PlayPass for Red Faction: Armageddon through OnLive, you'll get a free MicroConsole ($100 value), allowing you to play streaming OnLive games on your TV. Furthermore, you'll also get a free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla, the prequel to Armageddon. The total cost to you is $50. It's all in the ad below:

Red Faction: Armageddon is a science fiction and horror video game set underground. Here's the game description OnLive offers:

Battle a nightmare unleashing Armageddon on Mars. Red Faction: Armageddon takes the fight deep underground to the heart of a hellish threat tearing the world asunder. Make your way through tight caves and corridors with powerful new weapons at your disposal. Destroy anything and everything in your path. Try to survive as your hair stands on end in this suspenseful sci-fi/horror thriller.

OnLive often offers the MicroConsole for free. The initial cost is the biggest hurdle for customers interested in the system, and the new gaming company knows it. We expect there will be many more deals like this one in the future, although we don't think it should last for long. If OnLive wants to become successful, it needs to drive down the price to a point where the console just comes with the purchase of your first game. Alternatively, the company could  figure out a way to include the appropriate technology in new TVs.

OnLive titles play instantly on TVs, via the OnLive Game System, or on a PC or Mac via a small browser download. In February 2011, the company's $10 PlayPack subscription service moved out of beta.

Permalink to story.

Can you play lag-free, full 1080p (this includes both resolution and sound, of course) with this MicroConsole?

If not, then why bother?

I'm not sure about 1080p, but the service will allow 720p and the lag will depend on your connection. Also, it's worth noting that lag on the micro console is supposedly less than the lag you'd experience while using the service on your PC. At least that's my understanding based on the reviews I've read.

I still don't know quite what to make of it yet.

The micro console upconverts the 720p to 1080p, the picture quality is a lot better than playing over PC. Defiantly worth picking up, and if you don't like it you can sell it on ebay for 50 bucks and get a two free games out of the deal.

Back