Parental Controls: How to Lock Down Your Kids' iOS Devices

OK, I'm trying to stop laughing. I remember trying this with my son years ago (admittedly before the more sophisticated systems of today) and the lock down would last, oh, maybe a 1/2 day at best. I even tried disconnecting him from the internet by blocking his device (he broke that in about 5 minutes) and when I simply removed the network cable, I found he had several more stashed away. Of course, this did pay dividends when we caught a neighbor hacked into our system and he was able to show it to the cops and he was able to track down a hacker that copied very sensitive files (both perpetrators went to jail thanks to the evidence he collected. Now days .... I'm frankly afraid to know what he knows or can do ... I'm just glad he's on my side!!!!

The IDEAL solution would be internal to the router where Jr can't get his hands on the settings, as is easily done on any connected device. Depending upon the firmware, forcing Jr onto the Guest account can lead to much better controls as to time allowed for access and content.

My router is quite old and doesn't support Guests, but I don't have the issue either. Researching router Guest settings should lead to an effective control.

Back