TechSpot

PDF checker? Also, one that works vs. malware PDFs?

By enderlicious
Nov 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Is there an PDF checker(s?) that runs on XP?

I've seen some command-line unix tools that will give some indications of malicious PDFs... but I'm not sure what I should be looking for in utilities to find something gui-fied, that I can just drop a PDF on and find out if it's going to zip-bomb, or auto-launch (if I'm using FoxIt, I've heard Adobe *might* be on-top of *some* of those security holes), or whatever else...

I've been downloading PDFs rather indiscriminately, and I'd really like to check 'em (are they working? how many pages? encrypted? have auto-launch commands? etc., etc., etc.) before launching. I'm not sure that my anti-virus and anti-malware will catch 'em if they want to **** with stuff.

Luckily, I've avoided the iLivid install traps... so far. But that's just because I've been really squirrelly about being willing to launch an exe to get at a PDF. :p
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,356   +302

You only need a good anti-virus program that scans email and weblinks. Personally I'm using Avast! which does both
    and has triggered a couple of times very nicely.

It also installs a context menu (right-click on the file name) to scan any existing PDF.
  3. enderlicious

enderlicious Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 61

Well, Avast is at least looking for them. They claim no other AV software (was) catching this malicious PDF

https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/22/another-nasty-trick-in-malicious-pdf/

Just wondering who's really working on anti-PDF-malware - since they won't be able to compromise my system until I try opening them, I can download as many as I want, then try and figure out if they're malicious....

Also, it appears that in 2009, 80% of all Adobe exploits were using PDF files... That's kinda scary.
  4. enderlicious

enderlicious Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 61

5. jobeard

6. jobeard

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.