Plowing ahead with Bulldozer

Mizzou

As I am planning to upgrade to Bulldozer early next year when the FX 8170P is scheduled for release thought I’d go ahead and get the major pieces in place. Will be utilizing the following components from the current AMD rig and other spare parts:

OCZ Vertex 128GB
Corsair HX850
Sapphire HD5870 x 2
Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD
Internal Hard Drives

Already have a buyer lined up to purchase the remainder of my current AMD system intact, also throwing in a Sapphire HD 4890 2GB. This will help cover roughly half the cost of this upgrade (not counting the FX 8170P).

The following components have been ordered and should arrive before the end of next week:

Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower $189
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 $250
Phenom II X6 1100T $189
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler $120
Lian Li USB3.0 to MB 20-Pin Adapter $15
Tuniq TX-4 Extreme Performance $12
16GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000 $300
Scythe Kaze Master Pro Fan Controller $45
Logitech MK520 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse $44
Intel Gigabit Desktop Adapter $36

If everything arrives as scheduled hope to get started on this build next weekend :)

Nice. :)

I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the H100 once you get her up and running as I've been considering it myself.

Nice. :)

I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the H100 once you get her up and running as I've been considering it myself.

Thought I'd go ahead and do a build thread on this one. The Phenom 1100T is proving to be a good overclocker so I went with the H100 in hopes of a solid 4GHz+ result. Think with the UD7 and the H100 4.3GHz 24/7 might be possible, after all it only has to last about six months :)

I'm only going to use a H50 on my 1055T and push that as far as I can reliably for now. I'm holding out for a new FX CPU. I have the AM3+ board already, so just waiting on the RMA on my RAM and I can piece it together.

I'd love to see some pictures of the H100 all setup in the case as well, as I can't decide on whether to upgrade to a HAF932, or a HAF X. I currently use a HAF912+, which will be retired (with a budget AM3 board and the 1055T eventually) to role as my linux box.

I'm still so tempted by moving over to full water cooling for my next gaming rig though - I've been putting it off for a while now, but I think the time has come. :)

Sounds like a nice little setup i have wondered if i should have waited to get an FX setup but i really like my i5 2500k its loads faster than my old C2D e7400. I would like to have that 8 core monster though it sounds like it will be a beast of a CPU!

The Sandy Bridge K series are great processors and the 2500K in particular is considered by many to be the best value out there right now. This will be my third (or fourth) attempt to build an AMD system that can go head to head with Intel. Actually, sometimes I feel like Don Quixote dreaming the impossible dream; but hopefully AMD really did get it right this time and Bulldozer will live up to the hype.

Mizzou your other system seems to be a killer system why do you not show it in your system specs? i7 965 extreme and gtx 590 in sli? that seems pretty bad ***** to me.

Actually, when I originally joined TechSpot didn't realize that only the first system would be displayed, probably should flip them around. Imagine there are quite a few folks around here that think I'm an AMD fanboy :) Truth is I just enjoy building enthusiast class systems.

Imagine there are quite a few folks around here that think I'm an AMD fanboy

...indeed....when in fact you merely have a terrible case of enthusiast OCD...:p:haha::wave:

i just meant that from a gaming system stand point your i7 system looked to be the better rig. i wish i had the money for a gtx 590 or 6990 that would be oh so sweet.

...indeed....when in fact you merely have a terrible case of enthusiast OCD...:p:haha::wave:

Guilty as charged :eek: But as the saying goes, it takes one to know one :p;)

i just meant that from a gaming system stand point your i7 system looked to be the better rig. i wish i had the money for a gtx 590 or 6990 that would be oh so sweet.

There's no doubt that the i7 is the much stronger of the two rigs, but for everyday computing and doing multimedia the AMD gets it done.

The parts started coming in yesterday and it looks like the rest should arrive today or tomorrow. Here are few snapshots of the components while they're new :cool:

CoolerMaster HAF X
HafX02.jpg

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
GA990FXAUD7.jpg

EVGA GTX590 Quad SLI
GTX590.jpg

Core Components
IMG_0484.jpg

Two GTX590's?!? Fecking hell dude, I wanna see some benchmarks from those babies once your up and running!

Two GTX590's?!? Fecking hell dude, I wanna see some benchmarks from those babies once your up and running!

I'm kind of curious myself, not sure the 1100T can push them but am hoping that Bulldozer will.

It would be good to see the difference between the 1100T and a new FX thats for sure. :)

It would be good to see the difference between the 1100T and a new FX thats for sure. :)

Planning to hold out for the FX 8170P unless the FX 8150P turns out to be too good to pass up. Expect that most of the benchmarks for Bulldozer will have the 1100T in the mix so we should get a good idea sometime in September.

We're all counting on you to pave the way :)

I dont know if TS will get a sample or not (seems they get shorted on AMD stuff for some reason) but I think benches come sept are going to be a bias disaster...just a prediction.

I dont know if TS will get a sample or not (seems they get shorted on AMD stuff for some reason) but I think benches come sept are going to be a bias disaster...just a prediction.

That wouldn't really surprise me, fortunately there are some sites that can be trusted to provide unbiased testing. Hopefully Techspot will be among the sites that gets a sample. Failing that, we will of course have your first hand report to go by.

The rest of the parts just arrived so I should be able to start tinkering this thing together.

That wouldn't really surprise me, fortunately there are some sites that can be trusted to provide unbiased testing. Hopefully Techspot will be among the sites that gets a sample. Failing that, we will of course have your first hand report to go by.

The rest of the parts just arrived so I should be able to start tinkering this thing together.

I will do my best.:)

...Remember...the thermal compound goes on top of the CPU...:p:wave:

Back