Plowing ahead with Bulldozer

By Mizzou
Jul 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. As I am planning to upgrade to Bulldozer early next year when the FX 8170P is scheduled for release thought I’d go ahead and get the major pieces in place. Will be utilizing the following components from the current AMD rig and other spare parts:

OCZ Vertex 128GB
    Corsair HX850
    Sapphire HD5870 x 2
    Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD
    Internal Hard Drives

Already have a buyer lined up to purchase the remainder of my current AMD system intact, also throwing in a Sapphire HD 4890 2GB. This will help cover roughly half the cost of this upgrade (not counting the FX 8170P).

The following components have been ordered and should arrive before the end of next week:

Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower $189
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 $250
    Phenom II X6 1100T $189
    Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler $120
    Lian Li USB3.0 to MB 20-Pin Adapter $15
    Tuniq TX-4 Extreme Performance $12
    16GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000 $300
    Scythe Kaze Master Pro Fan Controller $45
    Logitech MK520 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse $44
    Intel Gigabit Desktop Adapter $36

If everything arrives as scheduled hope to get started on this build next weekend :)
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

Nice. :)

I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the H100 once you get her up and running as I've been considering it myself.
  3. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 930

Thought I'd go ahead and do a build thread on this one. The Phenom 1100T is proving to be a good overclocker so I went with the H100 in hopes of a solid 4GHz+ result. Think with the UD7 and the H100 4.3GHz 24/7 might be possible, after all it only has to last about six months :)
  4. Leeky

I'm only going to use a H50 on my 1055T and push that as far as I can reliably for now. I'm holding out for a new FX CPU. I have the AM3+ board already, so just waiting on the RMA on my RAM and I can piece it together.

I'd love to see some pictures of the H100 all setup in the case as well, as I can't decide on whether to upgrade to a HAF932, or a HAF X. I currently use a HAF912+, which will be retired (with a budget AM3 board and the 1055T eventually) to role as my linux box.

I'm still so tempted by moving over to full water cooling for my next gaming rig though - I've been putting it off for a while now, but I think the time has come. :)
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +62

...yeah...that will play a mean game of solitaire.:p:wave:
  6. Leeky

Might be a close call on pacman though! :(
  7. Mizzou

Actually, I was gearing up for the geometric complexity of Tetris :p
  8. Leeky

Tetris... OMG man.. best fire up a Cray supercomputer for that monster of a game! :haha:
  9. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

Sounds like a nice little setup i have wondered if i should have waited to get an FX setup but i really like my i5 2500k its loads faster than my old C2D e7400. I would like to have that 8 core monster though it sounds like it will be a beast of a CPU!
  10. Mizzou

The Sandy Bridge K series are great processors and the 2500K in particular is considered by many to be the best value out there right now. This will be my third (or fourth) attempt to build an AMD system that can go head to head with Intel. Actually, sometimes I feel like Don Quixote dreaming the impossible dream; but hopefully AMD really did get it right this time and Bulldozer will live up to the hype.
  11. klepto12

Mizzou your other system seems to be a killer system why do you not show it in your system specs? i7 965 extreme and gtx 590 in sli? that seems pretty bad ***** to me.
  12. Mizzou

Actually, when I originally joined TechSpot didn't realize that only the first system would be displayed, probably should flip them around. Imagine there are quite a few folks around here that think I'm an AMD fanboy :) Truth is I just enjoy building enthusiast class systems.
  13. red1776

...indeed....when in fact you merely have a terrible case of enthusiast OCD...:p:haha::wave:

14. klepto12

i just meant that from a gaming system stand point your i7 system looked to be the better rig. i wish i had the money for a gtx 590 or 6990 that would be oh so sweet.
  15. Mizzou

Guilty as charged :eek: But as the saying goes, it takes one to know one :p;)

There's no doubt that the i7 is the much stronger of the two rigs, but for everyday computing and doing multimedia the AMD gets it done.
  16. Mizzou

The parts started coming in yesterday and it looks like the rest should arrive today or tomorrow. Here are few snapshots of the components while they're new :cool:

CoolerMaster HAF X
    [​IMG]
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
    [​IMG]
    EVGA GTX590 Quad SLI
    [​IMG]
    Core Components
    [​IMG]
  17. Leeky

Two GTX590's?!? Fecking hell dude, I wanna see some benchmarks from those babies once your up and running!
  18. Mizzou

I'm kind of curious myself, not sure the 1100T can push them but am hoping that Bulldozer will.
  19. Leeky

It would be good to see the difference between the 1100T and a new FX thats for sure. :)
  20. Mizzou

Planning to hold out for the FX 8170P unless the FX 8150P turns out to be too good to pass up. Expect that most of the benchmarks for Bulldozer will have the 1100T in the mix so we should get a good idea sometime in September.
  21. red1776

....and I get to be the guinea pig...:p:haha:
  22. Mizzou

We're all counting on you to pave the way :)
  23. red1776

I dont know if TS will get a sample or not (seems they get shorted on AMD stuff for some reason) but I think benches come sept are going to be a bias disaster...just a prediction.
  24. Mizzou

That wouldn't really surprise me, fortunately there are some sites that can be trusted to provide unbiased testing. Hopefully Techspot will be among the sites that gets a sample. Failing that, we will of course have your first hand report to go by.

The rest of the parts just arrived so I should be able to start tinkering this thing together.
  25. red1776

I will do my best.:)

...Remember...the thermal compound goes on top of the CPU...:p:wave:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.