Report: AMD sets shipment dates for Llano and Bulldozer

Jos

Staff

According to a report from Xbitlabs citing industry sources, AMD has finalized shipping schedules for its forthcoming Bulldozer and Llano APUs. As rumored, the company will abandon its Sempron, Athlon and Phenom processor brand names with newer products, and as such Bulldozer will become the high-end FX-series, while Llano will carry the A-Series moniker. The first should arrive in the week of June 20, followed by mainstream Llano parts in the week of July 4.

The initial lineup is expected to comprise eight models -- four eight-core FX8000 series chips, two six-core FX6000 series, and two quad-core FX4000 series CPUs. Unfortunately, their clocks and prices have not been revealed but AMD has previously claimed that Bulldozer will offer around a 50% performance boost over its existing Phenom II line.

From the Llano front will be a total of 11 A-Series APUs in quad and dual core varieties featuring DirectX 11 graphics. Of course, AMD hasn't officially shared this information so it is bound to change and should be taken with a pinch of salt. That said, the company has previously suggested a "Q2 2011" release for Bulldozer and "Summer" for Llano.

Permalink to story.

Thanks for this Jos. I have found X-bit Labs to be one of the best resources for these new AMD cpus.

It will be interesting to see what the prices will be for AMD's current cpus as vendors will want the old stock to go.

I am excited to see performance and price.
I'm also interested in the different Bulldozer model power consumptions.
Because the newer Phenom II X6 have crept up to 125 watts and I would like my next processor to be under 100 watts like my current processor (currently Athlon II X4 640).

Will bulldozer be compatible with 790fx AM3 boards? If so, there must be a "but" there... I really like my Asus M4A79T deluxe and do not wish to change it because of these new CPUs...

"Will bulldozer be compatible with 790fx AM3 boards? If so, there must be a "but" there... I really like my Asus M4A79T deluxe and do not wish to change it because of these new CPUs... "

I am in the exact same boat as you. I love my MB but I think we are going to need to upgrade. Everything I read says it will be a AM3+ socket not AM3

Cueto_99 said:
Will bulldozer be compatible with 790fx AM3 boards? If so, there must be a "but" there... I really like my Asus M4A79T deluxe and do not wish to change it because of these new CPUs...

I would think, I used my Phenom X3 in my asus m2n32-SLIdeluxe until it died. AM3 CPU in an AM2 board. All it needed was a bios update, but it had TONS of problems with the memory.

Heard Bulldozer wont be compatible with AM3, only AM3+ as it has an extra pin. Can't remember the source but read it on overclokers.

Guest said:
Heard Bulldozer wont be compatible with AM3, only AM3+ as it has an extra pin. Can't remember the source but read it on overclokers.

I just looked at a couple of forums saying that AM3 CPUs will fit in the new socket, but the CPUs wont be backwards compatible.

yRaz said:
Cueto_99 said:

I would think, I used my Phenom X3 in my asus m2n32-SLIdeluxe until it died. AM3 CPU in an AM2 board. All it needed was a bios update, but it had TONS of problems with the memory.

If you mean Bulldozer then no.
Neither 790 nor 890 chipsets boards will accept BD CPU's. You will need a 990X/FX or 970 chipset board (AM3+ or AM3r2 designation at this stage)

I'm sure I read something somewhere about one being able to use the IGP in conjunction with a discrete card and not simply disable this. Anyone know if this is true. In the very least, AMD should look at enabling this as a physx (their own version) processor.

Looks like it's not to far off now, definitely interested to see what Bulldozer will be bringing to the table. Still a bit sad about the name changes though, I really liked them.

captainawesome said:
I'm sure I read something somewhere about one being able to use the IGP in conjunction with a discrete card and not simply disable this. Anyone know if this is true. In the very least, AMD should look at enabling this as a physx (their own version) processor.

I think Hybrid CrossFireX is what you are talking about there. It was being updated for the Llano and future APUs, but I don't recall if it's specific to certain AMD chipsets or not.

As for physics, AMD is still pushing their open source physics engine... Last I saw it was called Bullet. I believe it's in the Catalyst drivers (or due to be), so I wonder if they can encapsulate it and assign GPUs to it, like nVidia can with PhysX? That would be a definite perk.

June 20th..?

And to think we all thought it would be out at the start of the year.

Well, looks like I'm going sandy bridge. Can't take waiting anymore. Then again, AMD boards don't support SLI, so I suppose I have to.

Not all P67's support SLI either. Most of these are from slot limitations on budget feature set boards (Gigabyte P67A-UD3/-UD3R, ASRock P67 Pro etc.), but at least two boards featuring two or more PCIe x16 slots also don't support SLI (Sapphire Pure Black P67 and ECS P67A-H2).

Back