Retailer may have leaked Razer phone's specs: 120Hz panel, 8GB RAM, Dolby Atmos sound,...

midian182

Staff member

Earlier this month, a teaser image from Razer appeared to confirm earlier rumors that it was making a smartphone designed for hardcore games. A GFXBench listing for the device quickly followed, and now an online retailer may have revealed more of its impressive specifications.

UK-based website 3g.co.uk had a listing for the “Razer Phone 64GB Black,” which was showing as “out of stock.” Not only did it seemingly confirm the earlier report of the device’s huge 8GB of RAM, but it also reveals the phone’s 64GB of onboard storage, 5.72-inch IGZO display, and a 120Hz panel.

Other listed features include a Wide Color Gamut (WCG), Dolby ATMOS sound, dual front-facing speakers and amplifiers (certified by THX), 4G Super Voice support (for making calls/sending texts in low coverage areas), a 4,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 4+, and a dual rear camera setup that includes a 12MP f/1.75 wide-angle camera and a 13MP f/2.6 zoom camera.

The THX certification comes as little surprise; Razer purchased the iconic company, founded Star Wars creator George Lucas, last year.

The 8GB of RAM is interesting; that’s certainly a lot more than 3GB - 4GB found in the majority of today’s flagship devices. And the 4,000 mAh is beefier than what most handsets offer. The Quick Charge 4.0 support, meanwhile, suggests the presence of a Snapdragon 835 processor, which matches GFXBench’s report.

But it’s the 120Hz refresh rate that’s the most compelling feature—one that could mean we finally see a truly world-class gaming smartphone.

At the start of 2017, Razer acquired Nextbit, maker of the Robin smartphone, for an undisclosed fee. Judging from the (admittedly lo-res) image on 3G’s website, it looks as if design elements of that cloud-connected device have made it into the Razer phone.

The listing has now been taken down. Hopefully, the specs weren't just there as placeholders. It priced the handset at the equivalent of $800, though given how much more expensive most things are in the UK, that could come down. We'll no doubt get confirmation of the phone's details when Razer unveils the device tomorrow.

Permalink to story.

Yes, it has a 120hz refresh rate.... but can it actually play any game that can utilize it? I somehow doubt it... heck, even most desktops can't fully take advantage of those monitors - why should we believe a mobile phone can?

It does bode well for the future of mobile gaming - but I wouldn't be shelling out any cash for this phone...

Yes, it has a 120hz refresh rate.... but can it actually play any game that can utilize it? I somehow doubt it... heck, even most desktops can't fully take advantage of those monitors - why should we believe a mobile phone can?

It does bode well for the future of mobile gaming - but I wouldn't be shelling out any cash for this phone...

Optimization. Would be harder for Android, but could be possible with iOS.

Do the math.

A gamer oriented mobile device, offered up by a gamer oriented company, that pushes what is to expected to be an inflated gamer oriented product - better have an expandable memory slot or ...

it's LOL time !

4000 MaH isn't particularly beefy for a 5.72 inch phone. that 120hz screen had better have an adaptive refresh rate, or SoT is going to SUCK.

Wonder if the phone will require a razer account and a constant internet connect to use? Will it need razer "cloud drivers"?

This is definitely going to be interesting, at the very least. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there's really a product like this on the market at the moment. Razer's also already proven that they can make a decent device thanks to their Razer Blade models, so I'm reluctant to call it DOA even if I'm a bit skeptical of the idea.

If it's just a really powerful phone at a price point that's competitive with the high-end Samsung/Apple/Google options, without any glaring flaws, then it'll be a pretty compelling device. But it's definitely the sort of thing that needs hands-on reports to judge.

High refresh rates are great for more than just gaming.

Does Quickcharge 4.0 support USB PD?

If gaming sites starts to talk about Android games then I would probably be interested in this product.
I don't like reviews because they are subjective but I have no bearings.

A high end phone is still a high end phone. These days "Gamer" refers to a specific aesthetic design, and not so much a function.
Apparently you haven't been reading about THIS phone.... Razer's new high end phone has been touted as a "gamer's phone"... The objections stated here are that their phone almost certainly WON'T be a gamer's phone - or at least, no more of a gamer's phone than any other high-end mobile device being released this year.

The mobile phone industry only has a few options when packing hardware and software into their products... Assuming Android, your software is pretty much set - some companies put some custom shells on top of stock Android, but they're all fairly similar... as for hardware, other than the amount of RAM (this one apparently has 8GB compared to the normal 2-4GB), options are fairly limited. The best CPU is considered the Snapdragon 835 (the Samsung Exynos is probably about the same, but that's obviously limited) and there are already several devices using this. Since GPU is integrated, there really aren't any other hardware choices that can make "gaming" any better on this phone. My previous argument of the irrelevancy of a 120Hz screen remains - with CPU/GPU being limited to what other phones already possess, gaming will be largely unaffected by this spec.

The only company that COULD make an argument for a gaming specific phone would, ironically, be Apple. As they make their own OS (iOS) and CPU, they COULD decide to market one... but that would be pretty unlikely, as they are no longer in the business of making niche items - they like to sell their devices in the millions or tens of millions...

Back