TechSpot

Sound Driver Causing BSOD - STOP info & minidump

By EXCellR8
Mar 11, 2009
  1. Having a really annoying problem with my sound driver (ha20x22k.sys) in Windows XP lately, keeps reoccurring more frequently now it seems. I will be listening to music and at the end of a random track, the system will freeze for a split second and then go to a bsod w/ the following information:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

****STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x9D3AA47F)

*ha20x22k.sys address stamp 9D3AA47F

The sound card is a Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty. I do not believe the card itself is to blame for I am running the latest drivers and it works fine under Windows 7. Any help with this would be extremely appreciated. I've attached the corresponding minidump. Thanks in advance!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Long shot but try this:

Rename: c:\windows\system32\adi_oal.dll to adi_oal.OLD
    Also disable any onboard sound in Bios Setup

Please let me know if it fixed the fault :)

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 1,835

thx for the reply... I will give that a try and get back to you.

also, i should have specified which mobo i am running... it's an asus rampage formula and doesn't have any onboard sound. what i don't get is the sound card was fine up until a few weeks ago when the first bsod appeared. i've since rolled back the driver but I doubt that fixed the issue.

Ironically, Creative just released a new driver for my sound card today. I'm going to give that a try because it fixes a bunch of stuff including a BSOD so you never know. Regardless, next time I boot into XP I am also going to rename that file in the system32 directory.

4. kimsland

Thanks

Please update this thread when confirmed

5. EXCellR8

Sorry for the late update, but I wanted to give the system a few days on the new drivers before coming to a reasonable conclusion. Since the new drivers were installed, I have had zero blue screens or other sound problems. Hard to say if it's fixed for sure since the bsod was erratic and random before but all seems good at the moment. I just hope it stays that way!

6. kimsland

Here was the process:
    I say solved :grinthumb

I wonder though if you did have that file c:\windows\system32\adi_oal.dll
    But it's of no consequence now

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

7. EXCellR8

:haha: it happens... but there weren't any new drivers at the time of the first posting; I never did find that file you referred to. what is that btw, some kind of generic audio driver or something? i guess i don't have to worry about it if it's not there...

8. kimsland

It was a motherboard onboard sound driver that was noted as giving the stop error you described. Basically at that stage I did not know your system specs. This was the next reply:
    Therefore disregard my persistence on this non related info :eek:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.