Takes hitting back 3 times to get out of a thread

SNGX1275

Like the title says. On the 3rd hit I can get out of the thread and back to the listing of that particular subforum.

Browser: Opera 11.62

Yep, thanks for looking into it. I'd noticed it happening earlier, but not on sites I frequent so I didn't think much of it. My gf is having the same issue on some sites too, pinterest for one.

Guess I'll just deal with it for now. Wasn't happening before the change. Hopefully Opera addresses it soon.

Can you check if it happens on a news story on the main site? If it doesn't we could move that implementation of social here and fix the issue.

It seems to work fine in the news story view on the main site for me in Opera v11.62
I have the same issue as SNGX in the forums...

Doesn't seem to happen in all the threads anymore.

I initially thought if the thread didn't have any replies I could get out of it in 1 click of the back button. That happened in this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/...t-i-–-cleanliness-is-next-to-coolness.180136/ I was sure another thread only took 1 press to get out of it, and it had 0 replies. Although, I can't seem to find it now.

But then I tried this thread and this thread which had 0 replies and it took 3.

Extra Edit - I am unable to reproduce this. It happened 2 or 3 times in different threads, but a vast majority take 3. Wouldn't be a problem (well not too much of a problem) if it was consistent. But getting used to tapping Command + left arrow 3 times real fast and getting back 1 page becomes an issue when you do that and get taken back 3 pages.

Stickiness on the current page happens on many sites I find by googling, and from what I’ve heard some do it on purpose to keep you there as long as possible.

Just in case you didn’t know or forgot about the feature: To go back to any previous page e.g. in Opera, (left) click on the back arrow and keep pressed down. All previous pages will then appear in a column below and you just select the one to go to directly (without passing thru the more recent ones) and release the click.

Using this in the current situation of getting to the previous page, you can do it with one click plus selection instead of 3 clicks. ;)

But it can get you out of stickier sites or move you directly several pages back.

We don't do this on purpose and it's a bug related to Opera (and the Xenforo pages). Next week we will update Xenforo to its latest version which brings a number of fixes including the social buttons. This may fix the Opera issue, but we won't know for sure until we can test live and troubleshoot.

I don't think it's just Opera. Not that I noticed anything, for I seldom use the "back" button, but Matt said he had a similar experience with Chrome.
So it could be a Xenforo issue.

I think my issue is separate from the others, but it's similar enough that I didn't want to start a new thread. That's my impression anyhow.

Yeah - I get funky behavior sometimes when I use the back button (and I use it constantly) but not in every thread. Sometimes I get stuck and actually have to go up to the arrow to back out of a thread. I'm on Chrome 18 on Windows 7 btw.

I just downloaded the latest version of Opera and I can't replicate the back button behavior. Is this happening on every single thread for you? The Xenforo upgrade is still pending btw.

No, it doesn't do it every time with me, but more often than not.

I usually frequent the Software Apps section, so I suggest you enter a thread in that section and after a while when the page has loaded completely, hit the back arrow. It will either get out on the first or the third click of the back arrow. If it gets out on the first click, try more threads.

XP Pro SP3, Opera 11.62

Still seeing what I said in post #7. It isn't every thread, but it is in probably 90% or more of them. I originally made post #7 thinking I had found that if there were no replies to a thread, then I could get out in 1 back. But after I posted, I found that wasn't the case and then to my further disappointment I couldn't even replicate it in the 2 threads that only took 1 back hit originally.

Since it's the Facebook integration that causes it I think that any problem on their end might cause this behavior to be intermittent...

Probably a little off topic, but Facebook constitutes a serious security risk and I am somewhat surprised TS has integrated with it.

21% of all harmful links were discovered by Kaspersky Lab experts on social networking sites, with Facebook and its Russian clone, VKontakte, leading the way. In comparison, just 14% of harmful links were found on X-rated sites.

See here:
http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=207576467

It seems to work properly with Opera 12 build 1386 on the Win 8 CP
Heres to hoping whatever they fixed gets backported in the next update of Opera 11 aswell!

I have Opera 12 on my Macbook Pro (but use Opera 11 normally). I do most of my casual browsing on that (but I'm not using it now).

Are you having any problems generally with Opera 12? I think I remember having some display corruption or some sort of problems with it on a few sites the last time I used it. I'll get it up to date and try it again as a main browser.

For me I have trouble with performance of Opera 12.
I only use it in Win8 because scrolling etc comes to a grinding halt really...
But it's a beta and the last revision I installed (per my previous post) made a nice improvement already...

Sorry to bring bad news, but it's just taken me 3 clicks on the back arrow to get out of this thread. Moreover, I haven't noticed any change and I have been active here today .

EDIT: But see update below.

It seems to work properly with Opera 12 build 1386 on the Win 8 CP
Heres to hoping whatever they fixed gets backported in the next update of Opera 11 aswell!

I updated to 12.00 build 1328 and the problem actually got worse. 4 to 5 clicks to get back out of a thread. So I checked for updates again and there was another (apparently 1328 was a necessary step in the upgrade process). Installing that now. Will edit with results.

Edit: weird, after the upgrade it still says build 1328. Still behaves the same too :( 4-5 backs to get 1 back..

Double Edit: Downloaded the latest from Opera directly (instead of the inline upgrade) and got to build 1387. It does in fact get out of a thread in 1 press.

Back