Weekend Open Forum: How powerful is your PSU?

Matthew DeCarlo

You know, power supplies don't get the attention they deserve. PSUs sit dutifully behind the curtain bringing the whole show to life while processors and graphics cards hog the spotlight. There's a simple reason they're so overlooked in the enthusiast community, and I think we all know what it is: they're boring. In fact, that's why we tend to avoid reviewing power supplies. That being the case, we think it's about time to pay our respects.

In this edition of our Weekend Open Forum, we want to know what wattage your power supply is rated for. You can brag about your specific model in the comments if you want to, but we've embedded a poll after the jump with a number of options broken down by 100W increments. Feel free to say a few kind words about the unglamorous, yet faithful metal box that fuels your machine for weeks at a clip, or just bow your head in a moment of silence.

Permalink to story.

my system has 3 psu's
1 X Corsiar HX 650 @ 650w (MB and peripherals)
2 x FSP Group X5 @ 500w each = 1000w (graphic cards 3x 5850's + GT 9800 PhysX)
for a grand total of 1650w

I run a Ultra X4 750 watt PSU, 52amps on single 12v rail. Rock solid PSU.

You talk about boring, have I got boring for you.

Whatever it is, I pretty much slap an Antec "Earthwatts" EA-380 in it. This due to my habitual dependence on IGP "solutions". That said, ironically I have an Antec EA-430 in my Core i3-530 build. This would be the machine that needs the least power to run. Hey, it was laying around, and I got it on sale. :confused:

I have an ABS SL1050 1050 watt. Modular cables, single 12V rail, 80 PLUS Silver certified. Runs my SLI rig with plenty of power to spare for add-ons.

That's quite the setup you have red1776. Got any pics of your rig?

I have an ABS SL1050 1050 watt. Modular cables, single 12V rail, 80 PLUS Silver certified. Runs my SLI rig with plenty of power to spare for add-ons.

That's quite the setup you have red1776. Got any pics of your rig?

@ Tom, this is what it will look like for about another hour, I am moving,modding etc to a different case as we speak.

https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p3985-is-that-better-adhmuz-3f.html

https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p3945-power-station.html

How can I vote, mine is 1000W but there's no 1000W in the selection.

"900-999W" you can't find 1000W in this range.

"Over 1000W" is obviously not equal to 1000W.

You talk about boring, have I got boring for you.

Whatever it is, I pretty much slap an Antec "Earthwatts" EA-380 in it. This due to my habitual dependence on IGP "solutions". That said, ironically I have an Antec EA-430 in my Core i3-530 build. This would be the machine that needs the least power to run. Hey, it was laying around, and I got it on sale.
I got my Antec Earthwatts 380w for sale too, it runs my 9600gt.
Then I have that corsair 400w, running an integrated. I was thinking that I'd switch them the next time I open up my computer, but just this morning I loaned my monitor out for a bit but ended up just dusting everything off...

I have an antec 380W PSU powering:
Phenom II x4 810 w/ stock cooler, 6GB RAM, 2 500GB HDDs, 1 Optical drive, Radeon XFX HD5770xxx Edition, five case fans with LEDs

How powerful is your PSU?

Not nearly powerful enough. When the graphics ramp to 3D clocks I notice that the neighbours house lights don't dim at all....clearly, the Corsair HX1000 and TX750 need some severe upgrading.

red1776 said:
my system has 3 psu's
1 X Corsiar HX 650 @ 650w (MB and peripherals)
2 x FSP Group X5 @ 500w each = 1000w (graphic cards 3x 5850's + GT 9800 PhysX)
for a grand total of 1650w

What case do you use?? How do you make it all fit?

How powerful is your PSU?

Not nearly powerful enough. When the graphics ramp to 3D clocks I notice that the neighbours house lights don't dim at all....clearly, the Corsair HX1000 and TX750 need some severe upgrading.
Easy! You just need to connect the room lights to the same 15 amp line as the PSU. If that isn't enough, connect a dummy load, such as a small space heater also. Then you install your slow pop breaker, kick back and watch the intimidation happen. OK, who says that an evening of game play and intimidation can't be in an intimate setting.

Sadly this only works at your location. You'd have to work out a dimming conspiracy with your neighbors. Yeah right, I know, dealing with neighbors is way, way more trouble than it's worth.

Need a boost of the psych factor? loosen the bolts on the PSU transformer, that should add an eerie humm to the mix.

Silverstone is my favour....next might want to have a Seasonic PSU. Cheaper...but still provide the juice.

The last 5 PCs I built for myself have had either a Silverstone OP850 850W (3 PCs) or a Corsair TX850 850W PSU (2 PCs).

I just upgraded my modular OCZ Fatal1ty 550w psu to a Kingwin LZ-1000 1000w modular for my gaming rig. The 550w psu was relocated to my htpc.

red1776 said:
What case do you use?? How do you make it all fit?

That picture is in a Sunbeam AC-9 acrylic...way too cramped, as we speak I am moving it (making some changes) and putting it in the ubiquitous Coolermaster HAF 932.

So you decided on the 932 eh? Nice choice my friend. I can't wait to see it completed! By next week I'll throw some shots of my Cosmos S up as well.

So you decided on the 932 eh? Nice choice my friend. I can't wait to see it completed! By next week I'll throw some shots of my Cosmos S up as well.
I told you, no more agreeing with me! :p:wave:
I looked at the cosmos, that thing is a tank! maybe the roomiest case ever. they were out of it at Micro center the day I went, so I picked up the 932. Its a little 'military industrial' but it will work for the WC when I get to it.

Back