Weekend Open Forum: Share Your Black Friday Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although the last hours of Black Friday are ticking by, the steep sales and shopping season have only just begun. Many businesses will continue to offer discounted merchandise over the weekend, and Cyber Monday is only two days away.

Until a few years ago, Black Friday was only embraced by brick-and-mortar chains, but that is quickly changing as folks realize they can cash in on the season's hottest deals without brass knuckles or the stamina of a marathon runner. Whether you raid the local Wal-Mart at 3AM or browse the Web in your underwear, the day after Thanksgiving is hectic for most consumers.

In this installment of the Weekend Open Forum, we want to hear all about your Black Friday experience. What awesome tech deals did you find? Have any bargains to share with fellow TechSpot readers? Did you get everything on your shopping list? And perhaps more interestingly, how many times were you punched in the process? Discuss.

Permalink to story.

My tech purchases consisted of some of the games on the STEAM sales and a few blu-ray DVD's, mainly from Wally's-Mart. Hard to pass up decent blu-ray titles for $9 a pop. All of those purchases were online.

I did go out today and hit a couple of malls, but ended up buying nothing but basic home supplies and toiletries. What the heck, might as well buy razor blades while they're on sale! ;)

I participated in Black Friday in 2 ways.

I ran two discount codes of 30 and 50% on Linux training products at beginlinux dot com. (no plug intended, sales over) This is a big discount for the site as some of the products include instructor-led training and so on. The sale had only a few participants but then again Linux training isn't usually bought out of impulse...or is it?

I also went out looking to buy a Black Friday Linux netbook in the stores where I'm located. Spokane, WA. No luck. I did pick up a higher end Logitech mouse for $25, A Logitech camera for $20 and 15 8GB Sandisk USB drives for $150. All in all it was a successful day.

Oh yeah, after reading guests Logitech purchases it reminded me that I did buy a Logitech G500 gaming mouse.

I found a great deal for a 500Gig Toshiba USB for $40 at OfficeMax.com.
They sent a confirmation email.
Two deals later I got an email cancelling the order plus the additional item that I had ordered to get free shipping.
They sent the additional item and charged my card.
Beware of scams.

To [JudaZ]: Black Friday is what we call the Friday after thanksgiving. :p
Also know as one of the biggest shopping days of the year sense a lot of stores will do one day sales and many will even open at Midnight to kick them off. so if you want to get $200 off of something you get to line up out side of a store before they close to be there when they open the next morning. lol

Although thous of us who were happy with DL game sales on D2D, Steam and Impulse didn't have to sleep outside after dinner off.

Really it's funny I spent more money buying books not on sale then I did on any BF sales today. I love the Internet you get good sales and you don't have to leap over an elderly person, or any thing crazy and still get a decent deal. I was tempted to pick up a DSLR from Sony for $200 off then I realized I don't like Sony and Nikon wasn't having a sale :(

Today was all about Blu Ray. Best Buy and Amazon. Got all the Star Trek movies that I want on Blu Ray for around or under $9 (without having to buy the complete sets).

i stayed up all night Thursday waiting for PS3 and Garmin GPS deals from amazon.com.
I bought a PS3 with infamous and killzone 2 for $300 and assassin's creed for only 10 bucks! I also got the Garmin 255W for $120. all with free shipping! it was pointless to wait in long lines on Friday morning when you can get better deals online, but i eventually visit some local stores just for the experience ;)

Well i just got some blue rays from costco and cables and stuff like that for my pc, I'm still trying to get good offers online

I stayed at home, and did not buy anything. Apparently people were lining up at midnight to get into stores that opened at 4 in the morning! In my opinion, that is absolutely crazy.

I was broke. I didn't get up at an annoying 4 AM or anything, but I did go to the Mall and various other stores in the largest city we have bordering me. I didn't buy anything, but I was very tempted to get small little electronics, really. I would love to have gotten that $197 laptop for one of the many friends/family who need one, though.

Unfortunately on Colombia we don't have black friday either, but thanks to steam, I was able to save a lot on the THQ pack that includes more than 15 games...

I bought nothing considering there were few deals that got me interested but not enough to get them. We did, however, got many, many customers who purchased the deals we had since I work in a computer store.

I did absolutely nothing, I'm not a fan of massively crowded stores and I didn't find many good online deals. Maybe cyber monday will offer something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back