TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: Share Your Black Friday Experience

By Matthew
Nov 27, 2009
  1. Although the last hours of Black Friday are ticking by, the steep sales and shopping season have only just begun. Many businesses will continue to offer discounted merchandise over the weekend, and Cyber Monday is only two days away.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

My tech purchases consisted of some of the games on the STEAM sales and a few blu-ray DVD's, mainly from Wally's-Mart. Hard to pass up decent blu-ray titles for $9 a pop. All of those purchases were online.

I did go out today and hit a couple of malls, but ended up buying nothing but basic home supplies and toiletries. What the heck, might as well buy razor blades while they're on sale! ;)

3. I participated in Black Friday in 2 ways.

I ran two discount codes of 30 and 50% on Linux training products at beginlinux dot com. (no plug intended, sales over) This is a big discount for the site as some of the products include instructor-led training and so on. The sale had only a few participants but then again Linux training isn't usually bought out of impulse...or is it?

I also went out looking to buy a Black Friday Linux netbook in the stores where I'm located. Spokane, WA. No luck. I did pick up a higher end Logitech mouse for $25, A Logitech camera for $20 and 15 8GB Sandisk USB drives for $150. All in all it was a successful day.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

Oh yeah, after reading guests Logitech purchases it reminded me that I did buy a Logitech G500 gaming mouse.

5. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 TS Rookie Posts: 351

I bought.. nothing. But I probably will buy components for a Core i5 system from Newegg later tonight.

6. I found a great deal for a 500Gig Toshiba USB for $40 at OfficeMax.com.
    They sent a confirmation email.
    Two deals later I got an email cancelling the order plus the additional item that I had ordered to get free shipping.
    They sent the additional item and charged my card.
    Beware of scams.

7. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

what the hell is Black Friday? ...

8. Clrabbit

Clrabbit TS Rookie Posts: 90

To [JudaZ]: Black Friday is what we call the Friday after thanksgiving. :p
    Also know as one of the biggest shopping days of the year sense a lot of stores will do one day sales and many will even open at Midnight to kick them off. so if you want to get $200 off of something you get to line up out side of a store before they close to be there when they open the next morning. lol

Although thous of us who were happy with DL game sales on D2D, Steam and Impulse didn't have to sleep outside after dinner off.

Really it's funny I spent more money buying books not on sale then I did on any BF sales today. I love the Internet you get good sales and you don't have to leap over an elderly person, or any thing crazy and still get a decent deal. I was tempted to pick up a DSLR from Sony for $200 off then I realized I don't like Sony and Nikon wasn't having a sale :(

9. stwongbad85

stwongbad85 TS Rookie Posts: 21

Today was all about Blu Ray. Best Buy and Amazon. Got all the Star Trek movies that I want on Blu Ray for around or under $9 (without having to buy the complete sets).

10. Astro199

Astro199 TS Rookie

i stayed up all night Thursday waiting for PS3 and Garmin GPS deals from amazon.com.
    I bought a PS3 with infamous and killzone 2 for $300 and assassin's creed for only 10 bucks! I also got the Garmin 255W for $120. all with free shipping! it was pointless to wait in long lines on Friday morning when you can get better deals online, but i eventually visit some local stores just for the experience ;)

11. lfg18

lfg18 TS Rookie Posts: 86

Well i just got some blue rays from costco and cables and stuff like that for my pc, I'm still trying to get good offers online

12. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

Aha ... thanks for the explanation.

Never heard it before ... :O)

13. Razerblade

Razerblade TS Rookie Posts: 117

I live in the UK so we don't have such a thing as Black Friday but i did buy a couple of games and a new TV!

14. I bought Call Of Duty MW2 :)

15. pbartman

pbartman TS Rookie

My wife sent me out to get a microwave with a hangover :(

But we did save $90.

16. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

I stayed at home, and did not buy anything. Apparently people were lining up at midnight to get into stores that opened at 4 in the morning! In my opinion, that is absolutely crazy.

17. nubnasty

nubnasty TS Rookie

i bought a 24" inch samsung monitor with tv tuner :]

Ofcourse comes with HDMI,VGA,DVI etc... =]

18. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

I was broke. I didn't get up at an annoying 4 AM or anything, but I did go to the Mall and various other stores in the largest city we have bordering me. I didn't buy anything, but I was very tempted to get small little electronics, really. I would love to have gotten that $197 laptop for one of the many friends/family who need one, though.

19. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 248   +12

Unfortunately on Colombia we don't have black friday either, but thanks to steam, I was able to save a lot on the THQ pack that includes more than 15 games...

20. kaonis92

kaonis92 TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

I just bought a couple of games from steam including L4D2 :)

21. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

I got a BFG GTX260 MaxCore OC2 for 156 bucks. That's about it, I didn't really go nuts with the shopping.

22. speeedy6

speeedy6 TS Rookie Posts: 21

I worked all day, Hated it but I had not plans to buy anything anyways.

23. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

We don't have that here :( :(

24. Sixrealms

Sixrealms TS Rookie

I bought nothing considering there were few deals that got me interested but not enough to get them. We did, however, got many, many customers who purchased the deals we had since I work in a computer store.

25. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

I did absolutely nothing, I'm not a fan of massively crowded stores and I didn't find many good online deals. Maybe cyber monday will offer something better.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.