Solved Win64/patched.a malware in Windows 7 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoloty

Hello there,

I just joined this forum because I have had the win64/patched.a for a while and AVG manual removal tool doesn´t work at all.

Maybe this is linked to the fact that F8 restart doesn´t work either I had to use msconfig method.

Sorry if I am repeating the same thread, I´ve seen you´ve dealt with this virus before, but I am not sure if what worked in other cases will work on mine because I´ve tried all the methods suggested in other websites and it isn´t helping.

Thanks!

Hello, and welcome to TechSpot.

rulesx.png
Please see here for the board rules and other FAQ.

Please feel free to introduce yourself, after you follow the steps below to get started.

Information
  • From this point on, please do not make any more changes to your computer; such as install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc. - unless advised by a malware removal helper.
  • Please do not ask for help elsewhere (in this site or other sites). Doing so can result in system changes, which may not show up in the logs you post.
  • If you have already asked for help somewhere, please post the link to the topic you were helped.
  • We try our best to reply quickly, but for any reason we do not reply in two days, please reply to this topic with the word BUMP!
  • Lastly, keep in mind that we are volunteers, so you do not have to pay for malware removal. Persist in this topic until its close, and your computer is declared clean.
Please review the 4-Step instructions and post the logs back here for my review.

Also, include this scan:

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Thank you for the prompt reply! :)

Right, I followed the 4-set instruction, here´s a brakedown of what happened:

step 1: used avg and it said:
  • virus identified:Win64/Patched.A
  • description: C:\Windows\System32\services.exe
  • severity: high
  • state: infected
  • source: scan

step 2: when I click to execute it says setup files are corrupted and can't be runned
step3 and step4: logs are attached

also included the log from adwcleaner.

thanks again!

Attachments

• DDS cocoloty.txt
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Attach cocoloty.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 1
  • AdwCleaner[S1]cocoloty.txt
    23 KB · Views: 1
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Please make sure to get the 64-bit version

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
    • Startup Repair
      System Restore
      Windows Complete PC Restore
      Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
      Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Place a check next to List Drivers MD5 as well as the default check marks that are already there
  • Press Scan button. It will do its scan and save a log on your flash drive.
  • Close out of the message after that, then type in the text services.exe in to the "Search:" text box. Then, press the Search file(s) button, just as below:
    frst2.jpg

When done searching, FRST makes a log, Search.txt, on the C:\ drive or on your flash drive.
  • Type exit in the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer normally
  • FRST will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive and also the search.txt logfile, please copy and paste the logs in your reply.

Hi,

And thanks again for the prompt réplica.

F8 is not working, I tried pressing it repeatedly and also holding it down. Then, my computer shut down and it started a startup repair fix that is taking ages. Any suggestions on how to get to the system recovery options?

Thanks!

I don´t have it. Windows was the default operating system installed when I bought the laptop. I tried msconfing but I didn´t see the command prompt option.

Sorted! I was playing a game and my computer crashed, I forced shut-down and when it restarted it gave me the option to do the command prompt :) Here are the logs.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Search.txt
    604 bytes · Views: 0
FRST Fixlist

Please download attached fixlist.txt at the bottom of this post body, and save it to your flash drive in the same location as FRST.exe. Make sure it maintains the same name, otherwise the fix will fail.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Now, please enter System Recovery Options then select Command Prompt.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

Now restart, let it boot normally and tell me how it went.

ComboFix scan

Please download ComboFix
combofix.gif
by sUBs
From TechSpot

Direct Link (alternative)

Please save the file to your Desktop.

Important information about ComboFix

After the download:
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Very Important: Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results". Please visit here if you don't know how.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until ComboFix has completely finished.
  • If there is no Internet connection after running ComboFix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
Running ComboFix:
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When ComboFix finishes, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the report, which will launch or be found at "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" in your next reply.
Troubleshooting ComboFix

Safe Mode:

If you still cannot get ComboFix to run, try booting into Safe Mode, and run it there.

(To boot into Safe Mode, tap F8 after BIOS, and just before the Windows
logo appears. A list of options will appear, select "Safe Mode.")

Re-downloading:

If this doesn't work either, try the same method (above method), but try to download it again, except name
ComboFix.exe to iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, or winlogon.exe.

Malware is known for blocking all "user" processes, except for its whitelist of system important processes such as iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe.

NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    151 bytes · Views: 1
Here are the logs.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Combo-Fix.txt
    19.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Fixlog.txt
    509 bytes · Views: 1
Back to FRST, just like you did for services.exe, I need done for volsnap.sys - please put that in the search box, then post the search log in your next reply, please. :)

FRST Fixlist

Please run the following:

Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy. Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste). Save it on the flashdrive as fixlist.txt

start
C:\Windows\Installer\{35c05d2c-79fd-56ea-11d6-425a2596017e}
end

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Now, please enter System Recovery Options then select Command Prompt.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

Now restart, let it boot normally and tell me how it went.

Here's the log. AVG is not showing annoying pop ups tellings me about Win64/patched.a or any other viruses any more, I don´t know if that means it's fixed.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    401 bytes · Views: 0
Now, download a new copy of ComboFix to replace the old copy. Double-click on the new ComboFix, allow it to run, and post a new log once done. :)

Check for remnants and then we'll finish up. :)

CCleaner Temporary Files Cleaning

NOTE: If you already have this installed, you don't have to reinstall it.

Please download CCleaner Slim and save it to your Desktop - Alternate download link

When the file has been saved, go to your Desktop and double-click on ccsetupxxx_slim.exe
Follow the prompts to install the program.

• Double-click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • A prompt will ask you if you want CCleaner to do a check to see what cookies it needs to keep. Allow that operation.
  • On the Cleaner tab, click on Run Cleaner on the bottom-right to run the program.
  • Important: Make sure that ALL browser windows are closed before selecting Run Cleaner, or it will ask if you want the program to close them for you (when you do this, all unsaved data may be lost in the browser).

Caution: Only use the Registry feature if you are very familiar with the registry.
Always back up your registry before making any changes. Exit CCleaner after it has completed it's process.

Adware Cleaning

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Junkware Removal Tool

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Warning! Once the scan is complete JRT will shut down your browser with NO warning.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus and any antispyware real time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click JRT and select Run as Administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Copy and Paste the JRT.txt log into your next message.

ESET Online Scan

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install, or it will ask to download an installer. Please do so an install it.
  • Click Start or wait for the scanner to load.
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications are checked.
  • Click Scan (This scan can take several hours, so please be patient)
  • Once the scan is completed, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
  • 1. If NO threats were found, allow the scanner to Uninstall on close and then close the Window.
  • 2. If threats WERE detected, click on List of Threats Found, Export to Text File...save it as ESET-Scan-Log.txt. Click the back button/link, put a checkmark to Uninstall Application on Close and then close the window.
  • Open the logfile from wherever you saved it
  • Copy and paste the contents in your next reply.

Done, here are the logs. Thank you!

Attachments

• JRT.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ESET-Scan-Log.txt
    634 bytes · Views: 1
Any more issues?

We need to know any other issues that are plaguing your computer. Kindly give a summary so we know how to continue from here.

Many of the things to note for us would be:

• Slow computer
  • Error messages
  • Fake antivirus alerts or the icon in the system tray
  • svchost.exe running at 100%
  • System crashes or blue screen of death

Note: Absence of issues does not mean that you're protected in the future.

I get an error message that explorer is not working and another one that comodo firewall is not working correctly.

At times I get one saying that my computer took too long to start up. Aso, some of the programmes that I had seems to have been unistalled, maybe due to the process of getting rid of the virus.

My laptop is a year old. I can't believe how many issues it has!

Thanks once again

Please download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

p22001645.gif

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22001646.gif

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22001644.gif

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

p22001166.gif

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default):

p22001647.gif

Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.

Once done, tell me how things are working, please. :)

Done! Explorer is working fine now, but the other problems aren´t solved. I think some parts of those programs have been uninstalled because they don´t run anymore. But that´s alright, I´ll just re-install them. The virus is gone, I think, AVG can´t detect anything. Is it gone then?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back