Windows XP - Random BSOD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmund.F

I just bought a new hard drive and I installed XP again on my new hard drive. Now my pc is crashing at least once a day. I did "netsh int ip reset c:\reset_tcpip.txt". No help.

My pc specs:
Athlon XP +3000
Mainboard : Fujitsu Siemens A7V600-F
Physical Memory : 1536 MB
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (Microsoft Corporation)
Hard Disk : ST380011A (80 GB)
Hard Disk : ST3802110A (80 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (500 GB)
Monitor Type : Nokia Nokia 446Xpro - 18 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

A few things stand out of importance in your dumps:

Two errors are 0xA and these are stong indicators of hardware issues. One simply cited hardware but the other one specificially cited memory corruption.

One error is 0xC5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

The driver cited is SbFw.sys and this belongs to your Sunbelt firewall.

The remaining error is 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Here are some solid basic diagnostic steps:

A. Run memtest on your RAM

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

B. Run ChkDsk (just as I have it spelled) in your Run box.

C. Update your Sunbelt firewall.

D. Run a full harddrive diagnostics.

* Let us know your results.

memtest+ keep crashing

I downloaded the memtest+ and burned it to DVD-r disk. I started the test and memtest+ keep crashing / shutting down after when about 60% is done. I have tried the test now 3 times and every times memtest+ keep crashing. I will remove couple RAM's and try again.

- Sigmund.F

I've had the same thing happen to me when I had bad RAM. Did the screen show any errors? Since there are 8 tests per PASS did you get through any of the individual ones?

I've had the same thing happen to me when I had bad RAM. Did the screen show any errors? Since there are 8 tests per PASS did you get through any of the individual ones?

There was no errors during 6 first test. The black screen occur at the seventh test.

- SF

I removed two 256 MB memory's and memtest+ test was passed. Now I test if XP is stable when I use pc normally.

- SF

Actually you did a good diagnostic step by removing sticks and seeing how the system runs.

The black screen occured on the 7th test so he could not continue memtest because he couldn't see the information. He never got to finish the 7th PASS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back