Windows XP Reinstalled, partitioned? Where did my old programs, files and folders go

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem started when I installed Mcafee Internet security 2008. Mcafee cleaned alot of files on my pc and then it would not boot up. It said I was missing an "NTLDR not found". I rebooted the pc unsing the recovery Windows XP home edition CD. It asked me if I wanted to delet all files or possibly save "my documents" folder. I prompted to save my folder. It reinstalled Windows XP but there are no old program icons visible, I checked the control panel and there is nothing either. If anything I would like to see if i could recover my documents folder which contained pictures, music, videos and important files. Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Carlos

It's possible that your data had virus attached to them, and therefore were removed (not sure if it would be wise to get them back, under that condition)

Also regarding the save option
If Windows has saved your data, just do a search for all pictures, music, videos files (using Start-->Search) If they are not found, refer to the above mentioned!

You can use software tools to recover lost data (like Zar) but the concern is, that you may be recovering viruses too.

Now you have learned one of the valuable lessons about what a terrible program is McAfee.
If Kimsland's suggestion does not work, Immediately go to www.majorgeeks.com or other sites to download and run a good file recovery program while you still have an opportunity to do so.
Each time you reboot, you increase the chance you will lose something valuable.
It is not likely that the entire folder was virused... But you may need to save your files and email to disc, then reinstall your system to get it back to normal. Then scan your disked files for viruses and spyware as you reinstall them one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back