XP MCE occasionally freezing causing forced shutdown

learninmypc

I have no problem watching 90/120 minutes movies online but am having to reboot more often.
It has been freezing up too. I've taken the RAM out of another XP Pro tower & wondering if it'll work in this tower, see attachment.
I also did a crucial scan & I'm guessing this is what I have in right now
"Memory Type: DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1
512MB
DDR PC3200
EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

Any help is appreciated :)

Attachments

• stick of ram.jpg
    stick of ram.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2
The reason your pc freezes is because it is only running with 512mb of RAM when the least amount of RAM I would ever run a operating system off of is 1gb. You still have one slot for RAM open but I wouldn't even bother using that stick of RAM that you pulled out of the other XP pro tower due to the fact that it is only a 128mb stick. I would go to some Tech store near you and get another 512mb stick of RAM or if you really want speed your PC up you could get two 1gb sticks of RAM and max your pc out on the RAM limit.

The reason your pc freezes is because it is only running with 512mb of RAM when the least amount of RAM I would ever run a operating system off of is 1gb. You still have one slot for RAM open but I wouldn't even bother using that stick of RAM that you pulled out of the other XP pro tower due to the fact that it is only a 128mb stick. I would go to some Tech store near you and get another 512mb stick of RAM or if you really want speed your PC up you could get two 1gb sticks of RAM and max your pc out on the RAM limit.

I know it needs ram,but wouldn't it ALWAYS freeze up instead of just recently?
I realize I forgot to mention that,but it has just been recent its been doing so alot.
Hopefully I'll be getting more ram soon,thanks for your input.

No it wouldn't always do that due to the fact that as your pc gets older it accumulates junk programs, adware and other such hinderances, if you neglect your pc or simply don't understand how to take care of it. I know that you knew it needs more RAM I was just telling you that you DON'T want to use the RAM you took a pic of. You could attempt to do a tune up on your PC by removing old useless programs and checking for viruses. The other thing that could be making it freeze is the possibility that your pc has a virus on it so I would check for that as well.

No it wouldn't always do that due to the fact that as your pc gets older it accumulates junk programs, adware and other such hinderances, if you neglect your pc or simply don't understand how to take care of it. I know that you knew it needs more RAM I was just telling you that you DON'T want to use the RAM you took a pic of. You could attempt to do a tune up on your PC by removing old useless programs and checking for viruses. The other thing that could be making it freeze is the possibility that your pc has a virus on it so I would check for that as well.

I've run my scans recently & they came up clean. I did start a thread here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic172600.html & still hoping for help

Back