Getting rid of unneeded programs XP Pro MCE

learninmypc

A friend gave me this tower around 2 years ago because he upgraded. & There are programs on here I don't think I need.
Harddrive space is not a big thing as you can see
1679091c5a880faf6fb5e6087eb1b2dc.jpg

I was going to use my startup program (Mike Lin's) to stop them,but I figured probably better just to get rid of them.
SonicRecordnow & Python is just two of them, which other ones don't I need? TIA:)

A friend gave me this tower around 2 years ago because he upgraded. & There are programs on here I don't think I need.
Harddrive space is not a big thing as you can see
1679091c5a880faf6fb5e6087eb1b2dc.jpg

I was going to use my startup program (Mike Lin's) to stop them,but I figured probably better just to get rid of them.
SonicRecordnow & Python is just two of them, which other ones don't I need? TIA:)

I don't think I was clear enough. I know there are programs one can run to show what programs can be turned off/removed. I would like to know if someone here can help me with that? TIA.

There's a number of tools for uninstalling some of those unneeded applications on your machine Revo makes a good one.. Then there's the matter of cleaning up those temporary files that remain behind on your hard drive after uninstalling those apps, I've found TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer works very well, it got rid of 150 Mb of junk on my machine. Then a good defrag will give that finishing touch..

Hope that helps..

Jude

Revo http://www.revouninstaller.com/

TFC http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

There's a number of tools for uninstalling some of those unneeded applications on your machine Revo makes a good one.. Then there's the matter of cleaning up those temporary files that remain behind on your hard drive after uninstalling those apps, I've found TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer works very well, it got rid of 150 Mb of junk on my machine. Then a good defrag will give that finishing touch..

Hope that helps..

Jude

Revo http://www.revouninstaller.com/

TFC http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

Thanks Jude.
Since I can't afford RAM right now, I've removed a few programs I've had. Not the ones previously mentioned, but ones I know I didn't need. I defragged too which I think helped.
Revo is a good program but it still DOES NOT remove EVERYTHING because I did a search for one of the programs I deleted with revo & it found lots of files.:rolleyes:

first run->cleanmgr under every login-id (including the ADMIN) on the PC. this cleans up all the temporary files

then run->control; click add/remove and uninstall all the stuff you don't want.

now login as admin; right-click My Computer->Properties
click the System Restore Tab
Turn Off System Restore (which will delete TONS of these restore points)
and when it completes, turn it back on and set the Disk Space to Use at ~ 3%

NOW is the time to run defrag :)

first run->cleanmgr under every login-id (including the ADMIN) on the PC. this cleans up all the temporary files

then run->control; click add/remove and uninstall all the stuff you don't want.

now login as admin; right-click My Computer->Properties
click the System Restore Tab
Turn Off System Restore (which will delete TONS of these restore points)
and when it completes, turn it back on and set the Disk Space to Use at ~ 3%

NOW is the time to run defrag :)

Ok, part of your instructions sound greek to me so I'll tell you how I deleted a few programs I knew I didn't need.
I used revo to uninstall them & then I did a search for them via start>search for files & folders & deleted everything found. Used ccleaner & then I did a disc cleanup. I had previously dumped my restore points & set it to 3% I believe it is.
Lastly I used the defrag program that comes with XP.
I would still like to know if I need Sonic Record Now & Python
82aa4b0af34c2313a562076992e50aa3.jpg

This tower was given to me by a trusted friend whom is legally blind which is why there might be other programs on here I don't need. Thank you for your reply.
I do wish I could afford more RAM but I don't see how that is possible. Cheap to one person is expensive to another.:(

I would still like to know if I need Sonic Record Now & Python
"NEED" is the question. Sonic is software for creating DVD,CDROMs.
Python is a programming language; delete it and if something needs it, you will soon
find out and can resintall it :)

"NEED" is the question. Sonic is software for creating DVD,CDROMs.
Python is a programming language; delete it and if something needs it, you will soon
find out and can resintall it :)

I don't create DVD's CDROM's so it might go but I'll leave python for now.
I guess its time for me to look each one up & try to make a decision, thank you.:)

A possibly better question . I've got Mike Lins startup program, how can I turn the programs off instead of removing them??:)

Back