Total Commander is a file manager replacement that offers multiple language support, search, file comparison, directory synchronization, quick view panel with bitmap display, ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling plus plugins, built-in FTP client with FXP, HTTP proxy support, and more.
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language and Unicode support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- Unicode names almost everywhere, long names (>259 characters), password manager for ftp and plugins, synchronize empty dirs, 64 bit context menu, quick file filter (Ctrl+S)
- USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view (Ctrl+Shift+B), and many imporvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions And many more!
- Crash unpacking ZIPs packed with LZMA compression (wrong tcmdlzma.dll included) (32 bit only)
- Crash when entering more than ~300 characters in Files - Change attributes - "time" field, may be a possible security hole (32/64 bit)
- Total Commander was sometimes hanging when loading the drive buttonbar on Windows 10 (problems with some removable media)
- The Windows Explorer couldn't completely unpack ZIP archives created with Total Commander when they contained more than 65535 files
- File icons are now completely loaded in the background, so they should no longer slow down the user interface
- More speed improvements when reading directories (icons, shared folder overlays)
- FTP rename file (Shift+F6): Show overwrite confirmation dialog if target exists
- FTP: Faster upload in fast networks by using a dynamic upload block size
- F5 copy: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
- F5 copy: Option to verify files after copying them.
- F5 copy: Option to keep paths relative to current folder while in branch view (Ctrl+B)
- Select and copy related files, e.g. .jpg > crw.cr2 selects/copies raw files only if there is a related .jpg file
- F8 Delete: Only warn at the end if folders couldn't be deleted
- F8 Delete: Always use new delete method when VistaDelete isn't set in wincmd.ini, but show our own delete confirmation dialog if the system dialog is disabled
- Support unpacking of more archive formats: 7zip, new RAR5 format, as well as -lh6- and -lh7- (LHA)
- RAR with encrypted file names: Show archive content after entering password
- Pack/unpack files: Option to remember last entered password until TC is minimized, Windows goes to standby, or the screen saver starts
- Alt+F5 pack: New option to leave out the names of the selected folders when packing each folder to a separate archive
- New wincmd.ini options CopyLinks and IgnoreLinks to handle file system links
- FTP/file system plugins: When editing a file with F4, the file will automatically be re-uploaded when saved in the edfitor. No need to close the editor any more. Change via Edit/View options.
- Support for touch screen devices: Tap on icons to select files (configurable), long tap to open context menu
- Support for high resolution screens (high DPI)
- Drive drop-down list (Alt+F1/Alt+F2): Show links to "My Computer" and "My Documents" Configurable via. ShowExtraDrives in wincmd.ini
- Drive drop-down list (Alt+F1/Alt+F2): Open context menu directly in the list without choosing a drive first
- Show exclamation mark to the left of some options as a warning, e.g. that files may not go where the user expects them to go, like during copying from branch view, or when packing and unpacking
- Show file size and last modified time also in virtual folders like connected MTP devices like Android phones/tablets
- Button bar: Support multiple internal and/or user-defined commands on a single button e.g. cmSelectAll,cmCopy
- Progress dialog: Show number of files/bytes in more functions. Switch to files/bytes remaining by clicking on the numbers
- Show thumbnails in virtual folders like libraries
- Option to remember position of background transfer manager in system menu (click on top-left icon)
- Improved background copy dialog: Show number of copied and selected files and bytes, add button "Foreground"
- Search for text supports any combination of ANSI, ASCII, UTF-16, UTF-8 Unicode and office XML/EPUB at the same time
- Skip a folder by clicking on its name in the status line (with confirmation). Also allows to just pause the search
- Open in separate process via Alt+Shift+F7, so TC can still be used during the search
- "Feed to listbox" also when searching in archives, on FTP servers and file system plugins
- Search for duplicate files: Search by plugin fields, e.g. name parts, file extension etc.
- Search for duplicate files, Feed to listbox: New dialog box to select files inside the groups of duplicates, e.g. by newest, oldest etc.
- Compare by content: "Resync comparison from here" now also works after editing the files
- Create/Verify CRC checksums: Also support SHA256 and SHA512 formats
- Show hidden/system files now split into separate options for hidden and system
- Option to get more items in various history lists, set via wincmd.ini: HistoryLen for directory history, OldCmdLineCount for command line. MaxItemsInComboBox for comboboxes in F7 New Folder, Alt+F7 Search, Num+ select files etc.
- Lister, right click menu: Directly search for selected text via Google in default browser (configurable)
Since 32-bit plugins cannot be used by 64-bit programs, they need to be converted first. Therefore there will not be many plugins available initially for 64-bit. If you use plugins extensively, you should keep using the 32-bit version. You can install both in parallel to the same directory - there is now a separate installer which will install both together.