Before attempting to install the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite, the following software must be installed:
* XOrg 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3
* Linux Kernel 2.6 and above
* glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
* POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite no longer provides precompiled Kernel Modules; all installations require GCC compiler and kernel-headers or kernel-source in order to enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
For best performance and ease of use, AMD recommends the following:
* Kernel module build environment - should include the following:
o Kernel source code: Either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers packages
* The rpm utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install via RPM packages
The following packages must be installed in order for the ATI Catalyst™ Linux driver to install and work properly:
This release of ATI Catalyst™ Linux introduces product support for the following new operating systems:
* CrossFireX support
* Adaptive Anti-Aliasing support
* Support for new Linux operating systems
* ATI OverDrive™ Support for Linux
* ATI MultiView™
* Auto Detection and installation of distribution packaging
This release of ATI Catalyst™ Linux introduces support for CrossFireX configurations using the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series on systems running the Linux operating system.
Adaptive Anti-Aliasing support
This release of ATI Catalyst™ Linux introduces Adaptive Anti-Aliasing support for the ATI Radeon HD 4800, ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series, and ATI Radeon X1000 Series of products installed on systems running the Linux operating system. Adaptive Anti-Aliasing substantially improves image quality by anti-aliasing transparent textures. This option is available in the Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition.
Support for new Linux operating systems
This release of ATI Catalyst™ Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems:
* RHEL 5.2 production support
* RHEL 4.7 early look
ATI OverDrive™ Support for Linux
ATI OverDrive™ maximizes the performance of the graphic processing unit (GPU) on your graphics card. This provides the ability to improve the performance of your GPU, especially if you are using a custom cooling solution.
Here's other similar drivers that are different versions or releases for different operating systems: