Intel making mobos for Apple

By Derek Sooman on December 28, 2005, 8:18 AM
The news that Apple is switching to Intel compatible processors and is adopting Yonah is indication that the line between PC and Mac may soon blur somewhat; now news has been announced that Intel is designing the next motherboard for Power Macs.

And, claimed the web site, quoting reliable sources, Chipzilla may even make the boards for Apple, although mostly these days Intel generally subcontracts that sort of work to its Taiwanese ODMs (original design manufacturers).

vnf4ultra said:
Next thing you know macs will be made by many manufacturers like pc's. I think it's an advantage for macs to be on mac hardware, since they can test the software on the hardware and know they will work, unlike windows machines, which can be any combination of components.
PUTALE said:
it's not a huge surprise. INtel has been making the chipset for their own cpu for a long time. They even produce their own mobo as well. Intel has been a quite huge player in the chipset business as well as the cpu, so I think apple is making a good decision asking intel to make the mobo for their initial switch because with intel making the mobo and the cpu, it should be less compatibility issues.
luismigilbert said:
intel have prooved they know well what tey're doing...apple is taking a goo decision here...
thrudd said:
I take the philosphy of lets wait and see what they cook up before making any conclusions.I still remember some of Intels earlier issues ... like their math unit "only" makeing an error every 10K calculations .... cause the FDA to scrap and redo all their electronic work, not to mention the massive bombshell it was to all the enginerering companies and aerospace people who upgraded to those chips.Sure everything seems great, but lets err on the side of caution (as a pesemist I figure something screwy will happen)
mentaljedi said:
wow, i think intel has started to wake up. Only a few months ago they were well asleep. I think with their realease date for Yonah closing in, they're starting to stretch their wires...
Bartzy said:
sngx1275 said:
I'm pretty sure that Apple and Intel are going to do something to the motherboard that will prevent it from running Windows. Apple will likely also have their OS require that thing on the motherboard to do an install. So you won't be dual booting OSX and Windows XP on that machine.Its still going to have the look and feel of a Mac computer, its just going to have a different engine under the hood.
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]I think Apple understood that its processors are not as good as the new ones from Intel and AMD. [/quote]If you've reviewed any CPU designs at all, and had a decent comprehension for what you're looking at, then you'd notice that the IBM processors are actually superior in many respects to the Intel and AMD processors that are locked into an archaic x86 architecture. Try reading [url=http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/ppc970/ppc970-3.html]th
s article[/url] by John "Hannibal" Stokes for starters.
mtyson8 said:
mtyson8 said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]So what's the deal of buying a Mac ? It will be exactly like a PC. I think Apple understood that its processors are not as good as the new ones from Intel and AMD. I think that all the hype of Macs will go down soon. Why buying a Mac when you can buy a PC that is the same, in less money ?[/quote]Actually, people that buy Mac buy them for a reason, they are particularly looking for a mac. I think Macs tend to be more for computer animators, and home picture and home movie editing buffs, and less for the work at home buisness person.