Vista SP1 prerequisite kills some PCs

By on February 20, 2008, 11:42 AM
Last week Microsoft rolled out three prerequisite updates to prepare users computers for the first service pack for Windows Vista. However, one of these updates apparently caused serious issues among some users, prompting Microsoft to quickly suspend automatic installations of KB937287 after customers complained that their PCs wouldn’t boot up properly once the update had been applied.

For affected users who already received the update, the only solution is to reboot their computers, boot from their original Vista disc and restore their computer to a state several days prior. However, some users have reported hardware and hard disk problems after restoration.

Nick White downplayed the problem on the Windows Vista Team Blog, stating that only a small amount of customers were affected and only in unique circumstances. Microsoft is trying to look into what is causing this unrecoverable crash, and has yet to respond whether or not the blunder will impact its plans to start offering SP1 to users next month.

Rick said:
Yes, I was one of the "small amount of customers" affected. It was on my Dell Inspiron 1520 (Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa, Geforce 8600M GT). If it helps anyone, I was able to use the Vista install CD and use System Restore to "fix" my computer. The fix was a little more involved though, as System Restore would produce errors and tell me it couldn't restore my system. To fix this, I opened up the command shell from the Vista install disc and typed [b]chkdsk C: /f /x[/b] . F forces a disk scan and /x forces a dismount (necessary). After the scan, System Restore would work properly and I was able to restore my computer before the updates were applied.
papercut_2008 said:
Thanks for posting Rick. I have the same Inspiron 1520 configuration, and this TS story saved me from the same fate.
foogan said:
That's unbelievable. Service Packs are supposed to increase functionality and reliability, not make your system impotent.I've said it all along and I'll say it again, $%@#in' Vista! Until a SP comes out for Vista that's as solid as XPSP2, then I'm sticking with my XP. I'll hold on to that sweet nugget ALAP
theprouty said:
Thanks for the info just a few days late for me, i recieved the update and yes it crashed i tried to restore but no way i had to reformat and lost all my data gone to XP why the hell are we testing microsoft products for them and what recompence for all my lost pictures of the kids and letters and emails i had ??
icye said:
theprouty said:
[b]Originally posted by icye:[/b][quote]We all have to remember the nightmare of SP1 for XP, so its excepted that these service packs from Microsoft are full of bugs and its common sense not to just jump in when an update is available.[/quote] who jumped in i got the update without reaslising i was getting it then it was to late
mkatz2m said:
For me, I plan to also stay with XP ALAP. However, since I hate the Office 2007 banner business in MSWord, and the overall bloated nature of Vista, I will move to Ubuntu Linux without ever going back to MS Windows. I have been playing with Ubuntu Linux versions for a long time on an older machine and I really like the interfaces of the software and what you get right out of the box. Our newest machine probably will not need to be replaced for 10 years or so this way. However, don't follow me if you are a Windows game player. You will be stuck with Microsoft if you can't live without that stuff.
roserad said:
lambroger said:
[b]Originally posted by roserad:[/b][quote]I also have an Inspiron 1520 that I got in December 2007. It has crashed three times after updates. Each time I had to re-install Vista, since disk repair and system restore both failed. After much discussion with Dell, they finally believed that I was not crazy, since after the third re-load, when Windows Update tried to auto update, Vista again failed to boot. Fortunately, they were able to fix it with system restore the fourth time, as they witnessed it. Solution for me right now is to turn off Updates completely. SP1 may be the fix that will stop this, but I haven't heard back from Dell, as they were supposed to talk to Microsoft about this. I bet this is not at all a rare occurrence with the 1520--just uninformed technicians that are having us reload our machines every month![/quote]Guess what?! It is a year now since you guys posted this. I too own a 1520 inspiron I am leasing to own from Aaron's. Only had it one month now started in March 2009. That Vista problem; it is still here. Can't upgrade to SP1 either. In 48 hours I will have converted this laptop to run Sabayon Linux 4.0 and on top of that I'll install the Sun Virtual Machine so that I can still run windows apps. And the awesome part is that the virtual machine will upgrade to SP1 of Vista.Same thing btw, Dell has yet to acknowledge in the support section this problem nor a solution to it. Same goes for Microsoft.-- En Gap Lai