Opera wants Microsoft to include other browsers in Windows 7

By Justin Mann on March 17, 2009, 4:27 PM
The biggest development from Microsoft in recent days has been the rumors and then official announcements regarding their plans for Internet Explorer in Windows 7. It all started when the EC looked to force Microsoft's hand in removing its browser from Windows altogether, and quickly escalated from there. After many rumors began surfacing about Microsoft's plans, the company actually confirmed that Windows 7 will ship with the ability to remove IE 8, along with numerous other stock Windows components. Media Player, Media Center, Windows Search and more will all become optional components, making Windows a much more modular OS than it has been in the past.

Those efforts, however, are apparently not enough for everyone – Opera among them. Developer of the like-named browser, Opera, has always faced an uphill battle in browser adoption, competing against IE originally and now with the very popular Firefox and the relative newcomer Chrome as well. They want to see change in Microsoft's policy, believing that more user choice would be beneficial, but apparently their wishes go well beyond just removing IE – they want Microsoft to include alternative browsers with the OS itself. Opera asserts that to really encourage “competition,” the only solution is to present users with a complete choice, adding numerous browsers as options to install by default. When asked about how Microsoft would actually implement such a feature, Opera stated that the tactical portion of that plan isn't up to them.

That's a bold statement, and one that's sure to draw some criticism. Microsoft faces a lot of legal issues with Windows already, and shipping it with other people's software right out of the box may bring even more potential problems into the mix. Some of them include having outdated versions of the browsers installed, deciding which are included and which aren't, how to ensure compatibility and more. What’s your take on the matter, should Microsoft actually include other people's browsers in Windows?

tengeta said:
mattfrompa said:
Oh my f**k Opera I hate you even more now. I agree with tengeta, and I'm tempted to download Opera JUST so I can delete it. What Microsoft is doing is just fine in my opinion. If other browsers want to take a bigger share of the market, they should not expect their direct competition to do their work for them. Microsoft should simply demand that any browser that would like to be included with the Windows 7 package should provide whichever version they want distributed to them, and then they could be placed on a separate CD within the package.
AFBlue07 said:
What they are proposing is a bit of wishful thinking but it wouldn't be a problem if during the setup you have an option to just click a link and it downloads the latest version. Can't be that hard. In a perfect world this would happen... however we are talking about Microsoft where good enough is what we usually get.
Misch868 said:
Ah, OK Microsoft here's what you do:Package Windows 7 with IE8, Firefox, and Chrome.Problem solved!O shoot, I forgot to include Opera... eh, tough!
hamsteyr said:
I partially lol at their statement to include other browsers together with an installation of windows... i mean, come on, just because opera is not getting enough market share they're doing these sort of things? To begin with, i never really hated the fact that windows came with IE... rather i'm quite interested to see the new build of IE as well. Many people just download their own browsers anyway if they want to. I find these kind of things quite pointless, and opera has just jumped into the ***** bandwagon. heh.
nazartp said:
Just desperate, I guess...These suggestions are just ridiculous. It's like forcing Coca Cola to include a Pepsi bottle in a package. Work with the OEM's to be included with the hardware, but do not force a rival company to include your product.
skitzo_zac said:
I think its good that they are allowing you to disable IE in Win 7. But making MS place another competitors browser in its OS? Yeah thats really likely, As nazartp said you would have to do it through OEMs. Even if you went through OEMs most people would consider any browser included that they are not familiar with 'bloatware' along with all the other trial software you get from a pre-built system.I am saying this as an avid Opera user btw, but they can't really think that they are going to get their browser included in a windows installation can they?
unbel1ever said:
I have good feelings to Opera as a browser, but what they say just tempt me to remove it from my system. Luckily to them I see no decent alternative for me at the moment. So they'd better treat it like an opportunity not to lose customers and stop this BS. I suggest hiring some PR professionals to solve their psychological problems.
burty117 said:
Most people hate apple because they won't make there OS X Leopard for other manufacturers but yet people get all up in arms about a company wanting to include a better browser? you are all thinking it, IE is crap, Opera is better. Yet your all having a go about it being included with Windows? you should be supporting the move! forget about it being forced. Microsoft is the leader by miles in OS sales and is world leader. Therefore they have to expect it. and in comment to "nazartp" pepsi and coke joke. Difference is coke is better than pepsi. Opera is better than IE, so why not force it to people just once so the general public can experience a real browser? they should make it easy to delete aswell. Say once windows is installed, you open Opera up, don't like it and because it is the first time you have used it. it gives you the option to delete it aftwards?? seems fare.
tengeta said:
How is that acceptable to do with Opera when Microsoft was about to get sued again for doing it with IE? Thats nothing short of fanboyism.
isamuelson said:
tengeta, your message to burty is spot on. It's amazing how some people cried foul when Microsoft included IE in the OS long ago, and now, Opera is trying to do the same? How hard is it REALLY to download the stupid setup? It's not difficult. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't even be browsing the web.Opera's people need to chill out and so do some of the fanboys (and girls).
QuaZulu said:
No way!Come on, this is totally ridiculous – being forced to include one (or all, why not add to the stupidity) your competitors in your suite simply because they want what you have? Utter foolishness (and the case of which browser is better is moot, by the way. If something is better let its users vote with their clicks)! I mean, why stop with browsers? Dictate that all office suites be included in one box (put out by Microsoft as well, I presume?), all antivirus suites, all networking software, all DVD authoring, the most successful games with the least (“because the least are better”), etc., etc. Chaos and nonsense…
nazartp said:
Burty117, firstly I disagree that Coke is better than Pepsi, but that's beside the point. No matter how much one product is better than another, one cannot force a company to include rival's product with their own! It should be consumers' choice and consumers' choice only. Only the end customer has a say in what they prefer, Pepsi or Coke, going back to my comment. The last thing I need is for the government to tell me what browser to use.
burty117 said:
But to be fair, I work at an IT support company and trust. About 85% of people I talk to don't have a clue about browers or that there are otherones. Most normal home users and quite a lot of buisness's regard IE as "the internet" I'm saying I hope they include the other browsers so it makes my life easyer! =)
burty117 said:
Abd btw, i'm not asking for it to be forced apon anyone, I'd just like Mircosoft to pay for all these years of having to have IE on my computer. I don't care how it is done, I'd like other browsers included with windows so the 97% of people out there understand that there are other browsers.
Docnoq said:
Burty, the problem is not that Microsoft includes IE with Windows. The problem is the general population's ignorance in regard to computers. You can't fix this by forcing Microsoft to support its competitors. By your logic, Microsoft should also bundle Linux with Windows, so 95% of the people that do not even know Linux exists can try it out instead of Windows. Also, why not have McDonald's offer you a Whopper instead of a Big Mac so you can decide which one you like better? My point is that this is not Microsoft's problem to fix. If competitors want to gain more awareness of their product or a bigger market share, they should adopt a better marketing strategy; perhaps one that involves educating the general population about why their browser is "better" than IE. If Opera really wants to garner more support, they should get off their ass and do something productive instead of whining like children.
yukka said:
nazartp said:
[b]Originally posted by yukka:[/b][quote]When I bought Windows 95 (well, it came with my computer anyway) it installed a directory of shortcuts to aol, msn and other providers dialup.I dont see much difference between that and including a directory of shortcuts to opera, firefox, chrome and whatever other browser wants to be included.Dont include the software because changes to the terms and conditions of another companies product could have legal ramifications but you could include shortcuts to the homepages for the browser manufacturers.[/quote]I remember those times. Annoyed me to no end, but that's exactly what should be done - alternative vendors should work with OEMs to make sure that their software is either included (sucks from my perspective) or the links are provided (optimal). It should not be Microsoft's problem. I can definitely see Microsoft making Apple include IE in return and then running their own smear campaign that Macs are bloated :)
JDoors said:
Burty117 said:
[b]Originally posted by JDoors:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Docnoq:[/b][quote]... this is not Microsoft's problem to fix.[/quote]Can't add anything useful to that.But if this is the direction courts are going to force businesses to go, then I can't wait for my next car to include radios from all the different manufacturers so I can choose the one I want to use.It's not MY fault I don't know what else is available on the market, it's not MY fault manufacturers have already installed a radio by default, it's not MY fault manufacturers have had a 'monopoly' position by supplying radios in the first place.(Now I have to go look up what happened when aftermarket audio manufacturers DID sue the car companies over this ...)[/quote]Yeah but now they are all in the car by default you can choose which one is best and use that one =)
pmshah said:
[b]Originally posted by tengeta:[/b][quote]Uhh... no.You can't just force your product into something because it isn't as popular as you want it to be. I'd punch out a cashier at a grocery store if they forced me to buy a bag of M&M's with my bread just because Mars is suffering in business, and I doubt many people would do different.This is literally just awful, I'm half tempted to delete Opera from my system.[/quote]The Cashier in this case would not be forcing you to buy M&Ms with your loaf of bread. They would GIVE you a packet of M&M + Cadbury's when you buy Hersheys. There is a difference !!!
IanDSamson said:
First, please get your grammar right: "its" instead of "it's" and close quotation marks prior to period or comma, instead of afterwards. I could not care less about these browser wars and whether Microsoft decides to remove IE or retain it. So who wants Opera in Windows 7, I do not, because Opera does not work the way I would prefer it to work. I am editing what I said deliberately because I was wrong. I was confused between Opera and Apple Safari at the time of writing. No offense meant. However, my position on Opera being slow stands. I will comment more about Opera as soon as I have tested version 9.64 in all my environments: Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP-Home, Vista Business 32, Vista Ultimate 64, Windows 7 64-bit.Having downloaded and installed, the first thing that I object to is it has included the default search engine is Yahoo. Why? This is one prime reason why I would object to Opera being included with Windows 7. As a registered Windows 7 beta tester, I have reporting access to Microsoft who "value my feedback". As part of this feedback I will include strong objection to the inclusion of Opera due to its obvious association with Yahoo. No user choice of which search engine to choose as user-default. Opera programmers or company have overstepped the mark here by forcing Opera users into choosing Yahoo as their default search engine, and this is a liberty taken too far. I totally reject this, and therefore I totally reject Opera as a browser of choice.[Edited by IanDSamson on 2009-03-20 12:17:32][Edited by IanDSamson on 2009-03-20 12:42:28][Edited by IanDSamson on 2009-03-20 12:58:23]
Docnoq said:
[b]Originally posted by IanDSamson:[/b][quote]First, please get your grammar right: "its" instead of "it's" and close quotation marks prior to period or comma, instead of afterwards. [/quote]Actually, punctuation inside the quotation marks is also correct. It all depends on which method you prefer. The method you are referring to, with the punctuation outside the quotation marks, is the "British style" while the method that includes punctuation inside the quotation marks is referred to as the "American style." Note that the British style also includes punctuation inside the quotation marks, but only if the punctuation was actually part of the original material.