Conficker worm may come back, claim researchers

By Justin Mann on April 9, 2009, 2:08 PM
The Conficker worm, which failed to impress for the most part when its latest variant was due, isn't done for. Researchers studying the worm's various iterations warn that the threat certainly is not over and claim that there will be another attack, following changes in its ability to infect machines.

With as little as three million and as many as twelve million infected machines, Conficker has the potential to cause a lot of havoc. It has failed to do such so far, but several security companies have warned that it has continued to update itself and the people behind the worm are seeking to expand it using its peer-to-peer function.

Good security practices will of course keep you safe. What the worm's authors are betting on is that many people do not keep their machines updated. What exactly they have in store for the millions of infected machines is anybody's guess. But even if it has failed to cause much of a stir now, there is potential for problems in the future.

camuss15 said:
Zeromus said:
[b]Originally posted by camuss15:[/b][quote]I am not very knowledgeable about the "Conflicker virus", but I think it is all just a load of crap to be honest. Y2K was supposed to be a huge event, but turned out just like this year's April 1st....... nothing at all![/quote]Correction, LOAD OF 'WORMS' :D
avoidz said:
[b]Originally posted by camuss15:[/b][quote]I am not very knowledgeable about the "Conflicker virus", but I think it is all just a load of crap to be honest. Y2K was supposed to be a huge event, but turned out just like this year's April 1st....... nothing at all![/quote]@camuss15 - Sounds like you got all your info about it from the TV which played it up too much. Conficker is still out there spreading where it can, and still poses a threat. Don't be so complacent about these sorts of things.
captain828 said:
[b]Originally posted by camuss15:[/b][quote]I am not very knowledgeable about the "Conflicker virus", but I think it is all just a load of crap to be honest. Y2K was supposed to be a huge event, but turned out just like this year's April 1st....... nothing at all![/quote]The threat is real. I've seen the virus on dozens of PC's and given it's heavily encrypted nature, you don't know what to expect from it.Though I should add that I plugged an USB memory stick a day or two ago and NOD32 reported the Conficker virus, yet had no issues in removing it.
echtogammut said:
Conficker isn't an issue for people that bother to update their machine occasionally. Rather than talking about how this worm is going to take down the US... like every other media hyped malware/virus, they should just tell people to run updates (maybe do a news special showing people how to). BTW, I have been a huge proponent of NOD32 for years now and I glad they are starting to finally market it to a wider audience. I always used to get funny looks when I would tell businesses to switch to NOD32, although back when Norton really sucked, most companies were willing to try anything.
peas said:
Virus/trojan/worm authors don't want publicity. They and the people who control the botnets want to fly under the radar. With the press fixated on April 1st, unleashing the trojan then would have caused a massive public reaction to cleanse machines. They're probably delaying Conficker until public awareness dies down. It's the clueless people like camuss15 whom they are counting on to forget.
windmill007 said:
Naaa I agree its very lame virus. Only reason it was publicized is because it was a future data and April 1. I bet there will be more viruses in the future where they have future dates now. Seriously...People who don't do windows updates or take the time to do an occasional malware scan deserve to have there bandwidth sucked away. Newbies...LOL
windmill007 said:
Oh know it has been reported that is has gone live...Is all computers gonna wipe clean...end of world...no... read whats reported........Today, however, that mystery evaporated, as anti-virus companies reported seeing Conficker systems being updated with SpywareProtect2009, a so-called "scareware" product that uses fake security alerts to frighten consumers into paying for bogus computer security software.HAHA lamo scareware..Told ya it was lame...ANd the only people who fall for the crap are the lamers who shouldn't be on the internet anyways...LOL