Mozilla, Opera complain about Windows 7

By on May 8, 2009, 4:44 PM

This of course has triggered new complaints from browser competitors that Microsoft is still abusing its dominant position to favor IE. Sure, there is also a “Custom” install option that lets users maintain their browser settings, but Opera and Mozilla argue that most users will opt for the easiest upgrade path – and they have reason to complain. The latest incarnation of Windows, although still in a test phase, has caught the attention of many and will be offered free to anyone for a full year.

Microsoft might change this rather dubious behavior when the final version of Windows 7 arrives, but at the very least it will help them regain some of their slipping market share in the meantime. The complaints are ill-timed for the software giant, however, as it faces a June antitrust hearing where it will defend itself against European Commission accusations that its practices are hurting alternative browsers.

mailpup said:
Okay, not a good thing on Microsoft's part but why wouldn't users who are savvy enough to install and/or use Firefox, Opera, etc., just change the default browser back, annoying though it might be?[Edited by mailpup on 2009-05-08 17:29:13]
Star*Dagger said:
M$ must like getting spanked by the EU. Another brick in the road towards Microsoft getting annihilated in the EU.Enjoy the show!
cyrusjumpjet said:
Though I would be annoyed by this as well, I agree with mailpup: just change the setting back after it installs. It's hard to blame MS for wanting to promote their browser on THEIR OWN operating system. They designed the OS so it only makes sense that they'd try to promote their web browser. If they made it so IE was the only possible browser that can be installed, then that'd be a very different story.
gobbybobby said:
I have changed FF to my default Browser but applications such as Games for windows and Live messenger open web links in IE.
PanicX said:
Seems like they're jumping the gun. After all, this is still not the final version of the OS and I think it makes sense that Microsoft would set defaults to test the product you've agreed to test. Not to mention that if you're technically inclined enough to register for, download and install a beta OS... you're more than capable of installing your preferred browser. I know in my case, I'm testing Windows 7 right now and I've already got FF, Chrome, Safari and Opera installed.
Julio said:
IMO it's arguably permissible for them to install IE as the default browser if you choose to install their software. The part that I dislike is how certain applications, usually Microsoft's own, choose to open websites on IE regardless of the default setting if you prefer to use Firefox or other alternative.
phantasm66 said:
[quote]Windows 7 hasn't even been released in its final form but it has already drawn the ire of rival developers for its alleged anti-competitive behavior. If you’ve recently upgraded to the Release Candidate version of the OS from Vista rather than performing a fresh install, and chose the “express” option, you might have noticed how your default browser is reverted to Internet Explorer 8 regardless of your previous setting. [/quote]So feckin' what?!?! Change it back.
tengeta said:
Mozilla has no room to complain, since Firefox 3 it enables it by default unless you uncheck a box at the bottom corner.I didn't care to begin with because it got rid of a step in my installation, but in this argument it makes me laugh.
marcEmarc said:
"If you’ve recently upgraded to the Release Candidate version of the OS from Vista rather than performing a fresh install,"That will teach you to go against Microsoft's recommendations and not do a clean install.
Jibberish18 said:
You know this is all such crap. Nowadays in the world of computers and technology, it seems that their is not ONE classy company left. Every company has a representative that has to put down another company for one reason or another if they're not on top of the food chain. You're installing a Microsoft Operating System and they provide a Microsoft browser to use. As long as they're showing you that you have the option NOT to make it the default browser then what is everyone bitching about? Everyone expects Microsoft to notify you in BIG BOLD LETTERS that you don't have to make it the default browser. Doesn't Firefox, Opera and just about every other browser ask you if you'd like to make it the default browser? You're telling me that someone installing IE8 would accept the default options quicker than they would a third-party browser such as FF3?Opera and Firefox are both unique and wonderful browser but when you have people that come out and start nitpicking and complaining about the littlest things, just to gain marketshare, then you not only lose your good image but you also lose your classy image. Didn't one of the makers of Firefox announce not too long ago that he had no problem with it? Losers. This stuff makes me sick.
tomrice32 said:
"That will teach you to go against Microsoft's recommendations and not do a clean install."If they did a clean install, there wouldn't be any other browsers on it anyway so the default would still be IE... lolAnyway, agree all this complaining about what MS do on their own operating system is petty and very tedious. I'm not fan of IE, I HATE it, but nor do I expect MS to encourage their customers to use alternatives to THEIR OWN product. If you want to use another browser, you should either not do the express installation, thereby checking it's only doing what you want it to, or, just set another browser as default again afterwards, which I'm sure it will give you the option of doing the next time you run your favourite browser anyway... and I'd bet it would be one of the first programs you run. If they didn't provide a custom installation option or allow you to install other browsers, like cyrusjumpjet said, that would be a different story
tedster said:
I see no problem with this practice whatsoever. They are entitled to do what is in their own best interest. If someone wants to use an alternative browser, then they can change the settings on their own. The anti-business practices of socialists and marxists never ceases to amaze me. They kill the golden goose and wonder why everyone is miserable.
JudaZ said:
Mozilla and Opera is getting rather pathetic. It's Microsoft's OS, if you dont like it dont use it. MS have never locked out competition. You have always had the option to install some other programs in the OS if you dont like the ones provided. Mozilla, former Netscape seem to forget that not long ago, when IE was no good, in the OS (Win95 i think it was) Netscape was an option and there was an extensive guide included in the OS install on how to install Netscape. Instead of thanking MS ,they sue them ... so ridiculous
jink said:
Beta Version (used for testing)... Say no more.
FoReWoRd said:
IT'S ABOUT TIME...
jeremywayne said:
IE is the least of microsofts worries,Windows build 7100 RC. There is nothing exciting about this vista service pack which will be sold again to hungry buyers who hate vista and to all others who are just stuck with microsoft, just like me! I think it is time for Microsoft to close it's doors and retire. This is the same thing they did in the early 90's with windows 3.0. Windows 3.0 did not pan out so they came out with the 3.1 version real quick to satisfy all the complaints. Welcome to the world Vista3.1 Now everyone run and buy Vista again, oh I mean Windows 7. Yes I cannot wait to buy Vista 3.1 again so my vista laptop will actually not get on my nerves all day long. To: Bill Gates- UAC will be your un-doing in Windows 7. Just wait and see the compalints and you will be making a service pack to windows 7 to uninstall it.