Firefox approaches 1 billion downloads

By Justin Mann on July 30, 2009, 5:25 PM
Firefox has come a long way since it spawned from Mozilla five years ago, and has achieved many milestones worthy of celebration. Another one is on the way; with Mozilla announcing that they are nearing a total of one billion downloads. They are excited enough about the prospect of this happening soon that they have announced the opening of a site next week that will cover Firefox's history and its immense growth.

The site, Onebillionplusyou.com, is not yet live – and isn't scheduled to be up until Monday. However, anyone interested in Firefox's progress can see a live twitter feed that is tracking downloads.

Mozilla is estimating about 20 downloads per second worldwide, with a little under 1 million to go before they reach that 1 billion mark. At that rate they'll have reached it before or during this weekend. While this in no way reflects the actual number of Firefox users worldwide, it does indicate the high level of demand people have for the “alternative” browser.

It was only about a year and a half ago that Firefox had managed reach 500 million downloads, indicating that in more recent times demand for the browser has increased tremendously.

firefox is clunky, slow, and ugly. Why is it so popular? I suspect it's mostly pc users who are trying to get away from the even worse IE......People, Safari is available to you too! Go get it!

How is Firefox ugly and it is only as ugly as you make it, with its customization you can make it look however you like. To make thing worst after crying down Firefox you then go and praise Safari unbelievable.

Justin Justin said:

That's certainly your opinion, and personally I cannot stand Safari's interface. It's too bubbly and to me looks ugly. Not to mention, Safari isn't available for Linux and doesn't support the immense library of plugins that Firefox does. If you want functionality, Firefox has safari beat six ways from Sunday - not to mention it is fully skinnable. Anyone complaining about the way Firefox "looks" is simply lazy.

long live the fox

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I think the fox is great, but I have a feeling my beloved Opera is going bye bye

Firefox? Ehhh, not so bad. Nothing compared to Avant Browser though.

Now when people start talking about Opera and Safari I just wanna laugh! Opera is the worst browser I've ever used. Seriously. I don't really know about Safari but I defintely won't be using anything that was born under Apple's wing.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Wow I can't believe people are still comparing Firefox to Safari, just wow.

My choice is Maxthon, the most widely used browser in China.