Tech Tip of the Week: How to Change the Logon Screen Wallpaper on Windows 7

By on November 27, 2009, 4:39 AM
Be it screensavers, desktop wallpapers or font type and sizes, visual customization at the OS level is usually important to all kinds of users. Recognizing this, Microsoft has made it easier than ever to apply and adjust individual themes with Windows 7. We looked at this last week showing you how to find hidden themes buried in your hard drive as well as sponsored ones available through Microsoft's online Personalization Gallery.

This time around, we are going to show you how to customize the Windows 7 login screen. There are various methods to accomplish this, with and without third-party software. I understand many people might not want to rely on a third-party application, while others would appreciate a quicker, safer route. First up is the more hands-on approach, and then the utility.

Continue reading this week's tech tip.

kaonis92 said:

That's nice, after a while the default logon screen becomes boring.

Puiu Puiu said:

kaonis92 said:

That's nice, after a while the default logon screen becomes boring.

i know what you mean. But it's still far better than what XP or Vista had.

i don't know why microsoft did made it possible to change it without us having to change the registry or installing a third party program. They worked a lot to make win7 easier to customize and they did a great job. It should have been relatively easy to make it possible to change the background. Maybe in SP1?

Razerblade said:

There is another 3rd party tool which can do this. TweakNow Powerpack 2009 has a option to change the logon screen background. It also has other tweaks you can do and it completely free. Well worth a look!

1 person liked this |
Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

What the hell guys? You didn't give me 10 minutes from the moment I posted the article, and now we have two comments... Make it three.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Tweaks.com is very easy to use, but is there anyway of bypassing the 245kb limit? I am only able to upload low resolution picture on my 1080p monitor, which doesn't look very good...

fref said:

Thank you TechSpot! I really dislike the default Windows 7 logon screen. While I don't look at it all that much, it's still nice to be able to change it to something else. I agree though that Microsoft could have made this task easier for registry-phobic people...

Puiu Puiu said:

slh28 said:

Try making it jpg and lowering the quality from 12 to 10 or 8 and use the optimized algorithm (don't have a photo editing program? try paint.net - it's free). It should make it small enough without loosing too much quality. Also try making the pic a bit bigger and use a few filters like smart blur to make it look better after resizing.

@Julio: a good article makes people want to comment.

manintech said:

I'm not bored with the default one yet, maybe someday I will try this

matchu said:

damn. that's pretty sick. the default win7 themes/images/backgrounds are really nice, but not very exciting. Thanks for the article =DD

You can also change the Logon Screen Wallpaper with TuneUp Utilities

Regenweald said:

Just built a machine for a friend using ultimate, this is a nice way to further customize the OS for a user

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I manually changed a couple months ago the autobots logo in black and white, looks really good, though I wonder if you could change the user login from the middle of the screen.

In case you have way too many things installed on your computer to install more to just change backgrounds and things of the like, you can always google how to do it manually with 3 simple steps

Still this is a very nice tip =)

Fada said:

my copy of windows 7 is the final RC, im not going to do to much in terms of customiazation as its not going to last much longer, but its nice to know that you can do this!

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Been using this little app for a while now, it's really good!

yorro said:

Wonderful app. Techspot should do this more often.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Always good to see cool info like this. I didn't know it could be changed.

Serag said:

Awesome Tip, Thanks TS!

Fragrant Coit Fragrant Coit said:

Groovy, the standard one is a bit, um, camp?!?

Thanks Julio & T.S

harby said:

Thanks for the tip!

levar said:

Great app, I've been using this for a while seen it at askvg

buttus said:

This is awesome and thanks for the useful post. I was wondering how to change my login screen.

deadmongol deadmongol said:

this is nice.. there are other utilities out there like tuneup utilities, which can do alot of things.. very useful post indeed, might change my login screen.. but not for now, am not quite bored yet with the default login screen of windows 7.

timljh said:

since I am the only person using the computer, I dont really bother about the login screen =P but it will be nice to be customizable.

ColdPreacher said:

Pretty sweet app. Got bored of the same login screen

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Wonderful app. Techspot should do this more often.

TechSpot should do what more often, out of curiosity?

jazboy said:

Good tutorial. I was looking for such utility to change the logon screen..

Bruun said:

Nice one-click-wonder-app! Although, I wish I could also move the user/pw dialog to a corner or something.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is just another way to further personalize my computer, I'm definitely going to check this out. Thanks for the Tip.

Souljacker Souljacker said:

Good tool, used it for a while. I sometimes notice that it will revert to the default screen randomly, though this is rare.

FLHR said:

Think I'll give this a go, old log on screen gets boring fast

BlindObject said:

Matthew said:

Wonderful app. Techspot should do this more often.

TechSpot should do what more often, out of curiosity?

Show us things we don't really think about, like changing the log in wall paper, lol. And the other ones that you turn off certain naggers etc.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

That's the whole purpose of the weekly tech tip . Here's our full archive of short yet highly useful tweaks: http://www.techspot.com/guides-tips.shtml

Styl said:

Nice tip. I haven't spent enough time on the logon screen to get bored of it, but this tool will come in handy once I have. :p

AfricanTech said:

Cool - thanks for the lead - I like being able to customise almost everything.

ken777 said:

Great. Never really like that dove or hummingbird thing in the default screen.

lupinnktp said:

wait, this has already been featured in a post some time back. but well, looking at the responses i guess it's all good to expose this awesome tweak to more people who are bored with Microsoft's offer.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

This has worked perfect for me so far. easy to get others to try it when it doesn't even require an install.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Would you mind linking the specific featured post?

Moltar said:

The application that Tweaks has provided is awesome. It is extremely easy to use. Its nice that it doesnt require an install. I was a pain to have login manager run in the background with vista and xp. Great job!

kimboy said:

I haven't yet had a chance to upgrade to Windows 7 yet. I'll bookmark this page, so that when I finally do so, I can change the log on screen. Being able to deviate from the default is seen as cool where I am.

TechDisciple said:

tnks for the tip Tech Spot always wanted to change my logon screen W.

TechDisciple said:

yorro said:

Wonderful app. Techspot should do this more often.

If u mean TS should do tips more often well... Tbud they do. :@

ryan29121 said:

I have been wondering about this since I got windows 7. The standard logon screen is a bit feminine so Its going to be nice to be able to change it. Thanks for the tip.

cannon777 said:

am I the only one that isnt really bothered with what the logon screen looks like? lol.

Ive never really thought twice about it..since you dont really spend enough time on it to be bored. Oh well, guess this might come in handy, if you want to customise your desktop to the smallest detail

Zenphic said:

I will try this once I installed Windows 7 on my new rig

LightHeart said:

I have used the TweaksLogon since the RTM and it works great. One thing that will happen though is, if a user changes Themes the OEM Background can change back to the default. Your new background is still there, it's just switched off. In order to prevent this, you need to add a second registry key. I do this from the CMD line, just copy and past the following into a CMD prompt:

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System /v UseOEMBackground /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Or create manually in Regedit by going to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

Create the DWORD key UseOEMBackground and assign a value of 1

AbsolutGaloot said:

I'm super excited that windows is finally allowing more customization without having to use 3rd party programs that bog down the system. The logon screen is nice looking, but as soon as they let you change it from inside the control panel I'll match one to each theme.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

@LightHeart: Thanks for sharing that extra bit of information.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Definitely going to take a look at this. Thanks.