LG Display unveils world's thinnest TV panel

By on December 21, 2009, 1:38 PM
Taking a break from the multitude of 3D-related announcements LG is drawing our attention towards another big selling point for today's HDTVs. The company has unveiled a 42-inch 1080p panel that's just 2.6mm (or 0.1 inch) thick, surpassing the world's thinnest record set by Samsung Electronics at 3.9 millimeters, and significantly improving upon their previous 5.9mm thick model.

The company accomplished this through the use of an edge-lit LED backlight, a new optical film and a few other techniques it plans to discuss further next month at CES. The prototype panel offers a 120Hz refresh rate and weights under 8.8 pounds, making it ideal for wall-mounted TVs. That is of course once they start hitting the production lines, which could be a while considering the 5.9mm-thin panels LG showed off earlier this year still haven't.

shossofe shossofe said:

wow, that's really thin. hmmm, now to make a TV screen that hovers over a small orb......

.1 inches is too thin. I'll just stick to my fat TV's.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

shossofe said:

.1 inches is too thin. I'll just stick to my fat TV's.

Yeah, i think i would be afraid of it snapping in two as soon as it gets hit with a nerf ball.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's crazy thin. I'll have to see it to believe it. And agree with compdata - first time something bumps into it, what's going to happen?

Talk about "Cutting edge technology". Are they making weapons? These things "God forbid" are killers in case a twister hits. Also... thieves beware!!!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What I don't get is what makes super flat screens so attractive - they sit on a wall or in a corner and it's not like anybody will take the effort to look around the side and say "ooh that's really thin". Because LED TVs have better picture quality than regular LCDs then yeah, maybe the thinness is a bonus, but it certainly wouldn't make a difference if it was 2.6mm or 5.9mm or whatever.

BlindObject said:

Stealing a 42 inch 9 pound tv? That sounds easy. I'll just stack them up and take like 3-4 and I can still run for it loL!

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is what I've been looking for! An HD TV that I can shave with!

What does the shipping carton look like? Pizza box?

Now, if they could only price these sets per inch I might be able to really afford one. I hope they're still working on making them affordable and not just thin.

pkww2 said:

Price will be sky rocking high when they hit the market, and still not too many people will buy it even you have tons of $$$ to spend!

blimp01 said:

haha cutting edge -- nice one

you could probably stick that on a wall with double-sided scotch tape!!!