Apple takes over 50,000 iPad orders in first two hours

By on March 12, 2010, 4:52 PM
Apple officially opened preorders for the iPad today, and despite mass criticism and mockery online, tens of thousands have already purchased the slate. In the first two hours alone, around 51,000 orders were placed for the tablet, according to analyst Victor Castroll. That figure isn't official, of course, and it only includes Apple's online store. It also represents orders, not units, and some folks surely purchased multiple iPads at once.

The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with Wi-Fi, and the 32GB and 64GB versions run $599 and $699. All of them can be purchased through Apple's online store, and will be delivered for free on April 3 or April 5 if Saturday shipping isn't available in your area. In-store pickup is also available for April 3. The 3G-equipped iPads carry a $130 premium, with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB options priced at $629, $729, and $829. Those models will ship in late April.

gobbybobby said:

Wow thats a lot. (I think) Will hey be able to get that many in time for launch! I still think it sucks, and is overpriced, overhyped and anyone who buys it is an ideo. But thats my Opinion. Take yer best shots apple fanboys, I can take it!

gobbybobby said:

*they, ******* (off topic: Can I not edit my comments after post? I make mistakes all the time, several comments I posted today don't make sense or are spelt wrong with poor grammer.)

bigclick said:

While I find most all Apple products have a "sexyness" factor. I find it hard to shell out extra bucks for the sexy factor. This iPad was perhaps the first Apple product in my price range but not supporting Flash? What are they thinking? I find it difficult to browse the web and not run into a Flash page.

I'll pass on this, but Apple could send me one just the same.

rajmond said:

50,000 orders for two hours....I think that's a big number=success. This two hour "love" about the iPad isn't because it offers really good features, but because it's from Apple.

Peachy in other news we need to stop seeing so much news about apple.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"So, pretty much we know who the top 50,000 people that shouldn't be using computers are."

Guest beat me to the punch. 50,000 people who don't know what constitutes good technology.

Clrabbit said:

Peachy in other news we need to stop seeing so much news about apple.

Gotta agree, there's quite a few mornings I just go to Engadgets, sense they actually do have an apple free section.

[link]

Clrabbit said:

Should be noted to get a truly apple free experance there you also have to add Iphone to the exclude.

Its not 50,000 people that order the ipad....Its 50,000 ipad sold...so it could be a multiple company, small business buying this items and try to sell it back for a profit...just a thought..

Clrabbit said:

No, it's orders, so if a company got 50,000 to resale that counts as 1.

" It also represents orders, not units, and some folks surely purchased multiple iPads at once."

chuchu232 said:

Well, theres nothing wrong with the ipods/iphones, but this? who would buy this! it's just an over sized, overpriced, ipod touch with a slightly optimized os! infact, the ipod os is just a remake of osx, so the really just went back into early ipod touch development and fixed up the os so it runs smoother. adobe is probably going to make a flash for it, but that could conclude in a flash for the iphone, so apple may not allow it... whatever. whoever buys this is really wasting their time. just jailbreak an ipod! (unless you are just desperate to have one with better innards.)

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm... Wonder if I should buy one to inflate the price and put it on eBay? Maybe not... It's not a PS3. It's an iPad... And I wouldn't want to be seen with one around my friends.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

9Nails said:

As would I.

Plus, I really have no use for a big digital screen. As do many people out there, but they will still buy it.

seefizzle said:

No thanks. But here's a good video...

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4pPAn-m5g

Change the x's to t's.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Despite my dislike for the iPad, and Apple computers in general, it is really not all that surprising to me that it is selling so well already considering the size and dedication of Apple's fan base.

pipopaz said:

Just wondering those are 50,000 pre-orders, wonder how many people might cancel or if the demand will be met.

techsp10 said:

It just only mean that many consumers like the products of apple. As what I have known that apple is protecting their patent against HTC company but I am not so sure who between them is telling the truth. Basically at of this time there are many orders and that's a good job for apple.

jacob007 said:

Amazing numbers

InsaneVr6 said:

rajmond said:

Then those 50,000 people will realize they just paid a crazy amount of money for a giant iPod...

Sorry to all the Mac fans but I truly think this was a waste of Apple's time and money.

Zenphic said:

Hmmm... the iPad is more popular than I would have expected. You can be sure that I wasn't part of those figures!

jordierocks94 said:

Apple has entered many ground breaking products such as the original PDA, The Newton, the iMac, the mini, etc. there are many others including Apple T.V. I mention this in response to the criticisms of the iPad as a frivolous gadget with no market other than a limited niche -- not my view merely my summary of this category of iPad criticism. I have two Newtons and use one daily -- many decades after its initial offering. If the iPad is in any way as durable a product, I would expect them to remain in active use and circulation far into the future. My hope is that this product stimulates the advancement of electronics in America to the level of that I believe is available today to the public in Japan and Europe.

rskapadia2294 said:

its amazing man! its really great! i think the numbers are even more than that of iphone when it was launched! i think most of the people must have bought it just to show off their coolness! but ipad in terms of performance and price is not good!

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i like apple products (the fruit mostly ) .. i'm looking forward for a MAC, but the ipad even with good features seem too expensive for me & it's too early to be sure of it. i hate the iPhone, for every year there's a new better version & i don't want to see this with the ipad.

well seem still that it will work, good luck for apple & the customers going early of this product.

cheers!

megrawab said:

No wonder! The product is new and looks impressive. It's mobile and it's touch-screen. They said that it doesn't enable flash (one mockery that I've heard), I wonder why, does it have a different OS for not having the capacity to use flash?!... Touch-screen phones consume battery fast hope iPad is an exemption.

zyodei said:

The marketing juggernaut powers on..and on.

Apple continues to make the worst crippleware shit.

If I pay the registration fee, can I get my REAL iPhone, please? That I can run whatever programs I want on? Can I get the REAL iPod, that I can use as an external hard drive?

Apple cripples their consumer electronics devices to make harder to use for anything other than their primary purpose of mindless entertainment.

Yeah, I really despise Apple. I don't care how slick their stuff is.

Think different, or simply don't thing?

DryIce said:

It's not that surprising people. The iPad is a cool product with a relatively low price. It is also made by Apple, who makes very high quality products. I admit that doesn't give them a reason to overprice some of their products as much as they do, but I don't believe the iPad is overpriced. Yes it lacks some features like flash support, but if you think about everything else it has like hundreds of thousand of apps, or the best multitouch technology,or even Apple's customer support, you can see why so many people would want to buy it. People keep on complaining about what it "should have" or what it "doesn't do", well maybe these people saw what what it does have and what it can do and decided this was a product that they could use.

Kovach said:

There we go! I didn't excepted number like this, but sure that I was thinking that this going to be big hit on the market. Apple made it again.

fwilliams said:

It does not make sense. It should be 7200. A sucker born every second.

bcnu147 said:

Yes it looks impressive ... but is it? There are so many comments that are more negative than positive.

Maybe iphone users will do what a friend of mine has done. He is an avid MAC fan and has an ipod. He bought a new MAC computer a year ago and has already sold it because the ipod does everything he needs right now ... he is studying in the medical field and he has all the applications necessary for his studies, too.

Norino said:

nice news..

but what's so different from an i-phone?! just enlarged !!

theoscentral said:

One of the 50K is me I'm stoked!

cocodel said:

Yeah Apple fan boys digg deep in to the pokets )for having an Apple gadget! OO i'm a MAC

ToastOz said:

If it wasn't for Microsoft windows Macintosh would be a far larger company today. I think its great that they are finding new ways to control the market without needing to be a one trick pony.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I stay away from apple out of principle. I don't like how restrictive they are on their products. Once you buy something you should be able to play with it out ever you want, but they want to start suing people for using items they have purchased.

tripplejjj said:

50,000+ orders in two hours. Wow! NOT really. This is all about marketing and people just felt for it.

Let us imagine a shallow river flowing normally. Now put a dam to stop the water from flowing. Eventually, the dam will increase the water level on one side. When you removed the dam, this shallow river will flood temporary.

When Steve showed people the iPad, but told them that it was not available yet, then the people that wanted it would most likely have to wait. Just like a dam that stops the water from flowing. Now, Apple tells people that they can pre-order now, hence removing the dam. Of course, Apple would have 50,000 + orders in just two hours (a temporary flood). What did you expect?

And no, I will not get the iPad because the price/value doesn't make since for me.

Thompson said:

I use an iPhone, my family all use Macs and love them and I love my iPhone to pieces but i'm going to keep my PC and i'm going nowhere near the iPad.

First of all the name is the most unimaginative thing on earth.

Second it's just a big iPhone except with the phone ripped out, that's really convenient, now you'll need a phone and a pad and I they want them to be an iPhone and an iPad which is not only a waste of money but a ridiculous thing to do.

The only use I see for this is as a thing to have in the lounge room to casually read a book or browse the web, but for me, the iPhone is good enough.

ludoboss said:

Nice 2010. New cars, new phones, Led TV, and more... maybe its not finished.

alexandrionel said:

How crazy do you have to pay for a device that has no USB, no multitasking and a 1 Ghz processor?

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

bigclick said:

I agree it is ridiculous, but good *will* come from this in time.

Adobe wants their player on Apple products. Both companies are posturing right now, but this is Apple's way to force Adobe to improve the performance of Flash. In the end, this is actually good for all of us because Flash adds quite a bit of unnecessary overhead on encapsulated content and there certainly has to be way to make it better. With Flash 10, Adobe has actually increased performance by 10-30% in some areas, so there are obviously gains to be made and I'm sure the pressure from Apple has been part of that.

As pompously arrogant as it is, Apple needs Adobe less than Adobe needs Apple. Apple knows this. If Adobe doesn't do more to cave into pressure (and soon), HTML 5 is going to really hurt continued Flash development. It's a slippery slope from there and both companies know it.

Serag said:

I expected that

rufio said:

Apple fans... Honestly, this doesn't appeal to me too much. I'd much rather spend the money on something like a netbook or macbook. The iPad is a toy, a very fancy toy.

RockandRepublic said:

I was about to say Apple is more sexuality in lieu of creativity, but that's not it. It's more aesthetics in lieu of creativity. I will not shell out money I don't even have on a big Ipod Touch. Jeebus!

RockandRepublic said:

I wonder what they prescribe for cramps. :P

danteoz said:

ToastOz said:

Sorry to inform you, but if it wasn't for Microsoft, Apple would have died in the late 90s

[link]

Yoda8232 said:

50,000 ****** in the first two hours?

What has humanity come too?..

supyo said:

there are a lot of ppl out there that would buy anything with an apple logo on it

nayelir said:

I'm surprised that amount of people were already into buying an Ipad. It's such a strange name: IPad. Anyways, I'll be skimming reviews to see what these buyers think of the Ipad. I personally would rather just buy a laptop that is easer and foldable. It might be hard to use depending on where you use it. The IPad doesn't even have a large hard drive.