Apple takes over 50,000 iPad orders in first two hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apple officially opened preorders for the iPad today, and despite mass criticism and mockery online, tens of thousands have already purchased the slate. In the first two hours alone, around 51,000 orders were placed for the tablet, according to analyst Victor Castroll. That figure isn't official, of course, and it only includes Apple's online store. It also represents orders, not units, and some folks surely purchased multiple iPads at once.

The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with Wi-Fi, and the 32GB and 64GB versions run $599 and $699. All of them can be purchased through Apple's online store, and will be delivered for free on April 3 or April 5 if Saturday shipping isn't available in your area. In-store pickup is also available for April 3. The 3G-equipped iPads carry a $130 premium, with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB options priced at $629, $729, and $829. Those models will ship in late April.

Permalink to story.

Wow thats a lot. (I think) Will hey be able to get that many in time for launch! I still think it sucks, and is overpriced, overhyped and anyone who buys it is an ideo. But thats my Opinion. Take yer best shots apple fanboys, I can take it!

*they, ******* (off topic: Can I not edit my comments after post? I make mistakes all the time, several comments I posted today don't make sense or are spelt wrong with poor grammer.)

While I find most all Apple products have a "sexyness" factor. I find it hard to shell out extra bucks for the sexy factor. This iPad was perhaps the first Apple product in my price range but not supporting Flash? What are they thinking? I find it difficult to browse the web and not run into a Flash page.

I'll pass on this, but Apple could send me one just the same.

50,000 orders for two hours....I think that's a big number=success. This two hour "love" about the iPad isn't because it offers really good features, but because it's from Apple.

So, pretty much we know who the top 50,000 people that shouldn't be using computers are.
Peachy in other news we need to stop seeing so much news about apple.

"So, pretty much we know who the top 50,000 people that shouldn't be using computers are."

Guest beat me to the punch. 50,000 people who don't know what constitutes good technology.

Its not 50,000 people that order the ipad....Its 50,000 ipad sold...so it could be a multiple company, small business buying this items and try to sell it back for a profit...just a thought..

Guest said:
Its not 50,000 people that order the ipad....Its 50,000 ipad sold...so it could be a multiple company, small business buying this items and try to sell it back for a profit...just a thought..

No, it's orders, so if a company got 50,000 to resale that counts as 1.

" It also represents orders, not units, and some folks surely purchased multiple iPads at once."

Well, theres nothing wrong with the ipods/iphones, but this? who would buy this! it's just an over sized, overpriced, ipod touch with a slightly optimized os! infact, the ipod os is just a remake of osx, so the really just went back into early ipod touch development and fixed up the os so it runs smoother. adobe is probably going to make a flash for it, but that could conclude in a flash for the iphone, so apple may not allow it... whatever. whoever buys this is really wasting their time. just jailbreak an ipod! (unless you are just desperate to have one with better innards.)

Hmm... Wonder if I should buy one to inflate the price and put it on eBay? Maybe not... It's not a PS3. It's an iPad... And I wouldn't want to be seen with one around my friends.

9Nails said:
Hmm... Wonder if I should buy one to inflate the price and put it on eBay? Maybe not... It's not a PS3. It's an iPad... And I wouldn't want to be seen with one around my friends.

As would I.

Plus, I really have no use for a big digital screen. As do many people out there, but they will still buy it.

Despite my dislike for the iPad, and Apple computers in general, it is really not all that surprising to me that it is selling so well already considering the size and dedication of Apple's fan base.

Just wondering those are 50,000 pre-orders, wonder how many people might cancel or if the demand will be met.

It just only mean that many consumers like the products of apple. As what I have known that apple is protecting their patent against HTC company but I am not so sure who between them is telling the truth. Basically at of this time there are many orders and that's a good job for apple.

rajmond said:
50,000 orders for two hours....I think that's a big number=success. This two hour "love" about the iPad isn't because it offers really good features, but because it's from Apple.

Then those 50,000 people will realize they just paid a crazy amount of money for a giant iPod...

Sorry to all the Mac fans but I truly think this was a waste of Apple's time and money.

Hmmm... the iPad is more popular than I would have expected. You can be sure that I wasn't part of those figures!

Apple has entered many ground breaking products such as the original PDA, The Newton, the iMac, the mini, etc. there are many others including Apple T.V. I mention this in response to the criticisms of the iPad as a frivolous gadget with no market other than a limited niche -- not my view merely my summary of this category of iPad criticism. I have two Newtons and use one daily -- many decades after its initial offering. If the iPad is in any way as durable a product, I would expect them to remain in active use and circulation far into the future. My hope is that this product stimulates the advancement of electronics in America to the level of that I believe is available today to the public in Japan and Europe.

its amazing man! its really great! i think the numbers are even more than that of iphone when it was launched! i think most of the people must have bought it just to show off their coolness! but ipad in terms of performance and price is not good!

hello ...

i like apple products (the fruit mostly ;) ) .. i'm looking forward for a MAC, but the ipad even with good features seem too expensive for me & it's too early to be sure of it. i hate the iPhone, for every year there's a new better version & i don't want to see this with the ipad.

well seem still that it will work, good luck for apple & the customers going early of this product.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back