Jetway intros Mini Top barebones with Nvidia Ion 2 graphics

By on August 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
If you are looking for a low profile machine with decent performance for everyday tasks at an affordable price, Jetway may have just the thing for you. Their latest Mini Top nettop is a thin and small form factor machine packed with a dual-core Intel Atom D525 processor running at 1.8GHz and a next-generation Ion graphics chip from Nvidia.

Like similar nettops from Asus, Acer, and others, the Jetway Mini Top features a plain square-like shape that bears a passing resemblance to a Nintendo Wii. Connectivity-wise you get Gigabit LAN and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, S/PDIF output for 7.1 channel audio, DVI and HDMI display outputs, eSATA, five USB 2.0 ports and a memory card reader. Being a barebones model, there's no storage, memory, or an operating system -- so you'll have to add those separately. Up to two memory modules (DDR2-667/800 RAM) are supported for up to 4GB total as well as one 2.5″ SATA storage device.

The Jetway Mini Top nettop can be found at Newegg priced at $270, complete with a remote and VESA mount.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Now this I Like! stick a WD Black in there and some decently timed 800 DDR2 RAM and its possible to run UT3 in low! or medium under low res or WoW! man my bro's going to like this

raybay said:

We just haven't had good luck with the Jetway, so be sure of your warranty, and that it is backed up by the seller as well.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That sound very similar to Zotac Zbox.

bakape said:

@burty:

I don't know about UT3, but if its WoW you can run it on a 4 years under par netbook with Intel GMA 945 at 15-20+ fps, so if you want a compact machine for that, the Inovo seems a waste of money, rather than proper gaming PC.

Is the nVidia Ion 2 the new amazing chip thats going into smart phones? Ultra low wattage and impressive performance? They were demoing the new Ion /w UT3 on smart phone type screens last I saw.

AlbertLionheart AlbertLionheart, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Sorry to criticise a product but I have had to stop using Jetway boards because they all failed through 'fat caps' after about 18-24 months. It was doing my reputation as a system builder no good at all - I now use Asus or Gigabyte boards.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You are probably thinking of the Tegra 2. The Ion is generally too big for the small mobile packages, and is targeted at netbooks and up. The Tegra is the ultra low power CPU/GPU package aimed at mobile devices, and has pretty stellar performance on those units.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks Vrmithrax, that was me. I appreciate the sound answer.

Latest release now supports DDR3-1066 memory. Couple that with a Momentus XT hybrid drive and 4GB DDR3 memory too really motor economically. I've just order the parts to make a 64-bit Win7 Media Centre.

tf