Netflix streaming on the Wii goes disc-free

By on October 18, 2010, 11:02 AM
Nintendo has announced that Netflix streaming is now disc-free on the Wii. Americans and Canadians alike will be able to download and install Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel for free, assuming they've got a Wii, a broadband Internet connection, and have signed up for the subscription, which starts at USD $8.99 (or CAD $7.99). The downside is that HD streaming still isn't available on the Wii, unlike on the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

The company also revealed that over three million Wii consoles are using Netflix since the service launched back on April 12, 2010 in the US and on September 22, 2010 in Canada. That means there are now three million useless Netflix discs that will have to be used as coasters and frisbees.

Both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 have received Netflix updates in the last few months. In terms of quality and features available, it looks like the PS3 is first, the Xbox 360 is second, and the Wii is last.

unrealmp3 unrealmp3 said:

Wow, something that make sense..

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Does it make sense? Does the Wii even play DVDs yet? How many people have HDTVs now? Why do I have to pay to hook my Wii up via ethernet? I hate that I hate my Wii... but I really do. I've always loved all the previous Nintendo consoles. Even my 6 year old complains about the graphical capabilities (or lack of) of the console. This wasn't an attack on you Unreal - just a rant about my issues with Nintendo.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

unrealmp3 said:

Wow, something that make sense..

Yeah it is, I'm kinda surprised.

@LNCPapa

[Quote]Does it make sense?

[Quote]Does the Wii even play DVDs yet?

No, but that has nothing to do with streaming movies.

[Quote]How many people have HDTVs now?

Does it matter? Perhaps I'm not understanding your question here.

[Quote]Why do I have to pay to hook my Wii up via ethernet?

1. You don't have to pay to hook your wii up to your connection...just connect to your router wirelessly

2. If you don't want to go wirelessly, ethernet cables aren't that expensive and are easy to hook up.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there. I do agree though that the graphics on the wii are...um...not so great, lol. I regret having bought my wii...sort of.....mario cart makes it worth it, lol.

HD vs 720P whatever...... its just a numbers game. Thank you free enterprise.

Oh Yeah did I forget to mention that my Wii on a wireless connection works flawlessly with three other PC connected to the same wireless network. Ethernet connections are so yesterday.

When you bought the Wii you knew it only supported SD video, right? Did you think Nintendo would one day send you a new HD GPU for the Wii? SD capable devices supported SD. HD capable devices support HD. If you want HD you have to use a device that supports HD. It really is plain and simple.