Microsoft snagged Bungie just days before Apple

By on October 27, 2010, 6:58 PM
According to a former Bungie employee, Microsoft purchased the Halo creator just "days" before Apple. In a chat with Develop, ex-Bungie developer Tuncer Deniz said things went down like this: the studio asked Apple if it was interested in an acquisition and CEO Steve Jobs mulled the idea but initially declined. Jobs changed his mind about a week later and Cupertino contacted Bungie to cut a deal -- but it was too late. "Bungie had already consummated the deal with Microsoft," said Deniz.

Jobs was reportedly "furious" when Microsoft announced the acquisition, according to former Redmond executive Ed Fries. "He was mad at Ballmer and phoned him up and was angry because we'd just bought the premier Mac game developer and made them an Xbox developer." Ballmer tasked Fries with defusing the situation, and he cooled Jobs off by promising that certain PC games would be ported to Mac -- no specific titles were mentioned in the interview. "It was a pretty strange time," Fries added.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

yeah but how come bungie wont be involved in any more halo games? microsoft needs to rectify this and make bungie the only ones able to work on halo. POOR Crapple they always seem to lose at everything im so tired of apple and there crying over everything and the way they treat there customers.

DokkRokken said:

For a guy who is made out to be some sort of modern visionary, he made a really dumb decision here. He was angry at Ballmer? Sheesh, he should've been kicking his own ass.

VitaminC said:

Mistake maybe for apple, but not for all of the halo fans out there. Apple was probably just going to turn halo into a sidenote. MS banked on halo and put all of their weight behind it, even moved a couple of xboxes with it.

Technically, it's a good thing for a lot of people apple didn't get it.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Hmmm, Agreed with the comment above. Apple has been having alot of problems lately and cant see things getting much better.

xcelofjkl said:

with the success halo had under microsoft's supervision, it's a good thing apple didn't get it. must've been steve job's destiny. well at least he knew he wasnt invulnerable.. until he made iphones ipads and macbook airs.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

These things happen all the time in big business. I guess this just takes a spotlight because it's between Apple and Microsoft.

Either way, I've never played Halo, but I'd certainly think this is better in Microsoft hands, than Apple.

Timonius Timonius said:

I'm glad Apple didn't buy them...they have never really shown any serious support for the Personal Computer gamers.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Ha! Take that Jobs! Hahahahahaha!

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

I don't own a Xbox but from a personal view of it, Halo is one of its flagship games. As for Apple they have been doing a lot of weird things lately or maybe it's just finally become more noticeable since they have increased their market shares.

thedrelle said:

It does make you wonder, what would the beloved Halo series be if it had been acquired by Apple? Personally, I think that it would have suffered as much as if it had been put out on something like the Gamecube. Apple was not and may still not be in a position to support the kind of fanbase a game like halo required. The brand new Xbox platform, however, was designed with that core gamer in mind.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Yeh, lots of problems like having a stock go from less than $200 a share to over $300 a share in the last year. [link]

motrin said:

thedrelle said:

i think apple would of had Bungi making something along the lines of FarmVille, I get ya!

KG363 KG363 said:

I was very confused for a whole five minutes because I thought this was current news.

I like history articles, I just think there should be some sort of identification

oasis789 said:

imagine the next halo game being on the mac. im not sure im seeing how the merger would work.

f111 said:

What would the world be like without Halo!

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

WHy does Apple want it? They make no games.. do they?

cardriverx said:

In some alternate universe, Apple bought bungie, and as a result a Mac is the thing to buy if you are a gamer. Man, that would be horrible.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2000 and on October 5, 2007, Bungie announced that it had split with Microsoft and become a privately held independent company, Bungie LLC.

Mydnight said:

Wait, Apple was unhappy because they declined to purchase a franchise, changed their minds, and got unhappy when they went back and discovered M$ had purchased it? The article makes no mention of there being any sort of hold or waiting period before Bungie offered it's services to another company, business is business right?

Brockxz said:

As i read somewhere, Halo actually was developed for Mac and it was meant to be the step to bring gaming in Apple systems. Gain for MS, lost for Apple. It's actually shame that MS let Bungie to leave now because now it seems MS can be in the losing position as there is no exclusive games for the next year except GoW3 (at least there is no games that has been already announced ).

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

To think what could have been: Halo on your iphone...

I both laugh and shudder from the concept of that.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Imagine how different the would would've been... Halo would've been a Mac exclusive game or something hahaha.... Oh well, better luck next time jobsy.

highlander84 said:

Thank god, If apple got Bungie I don't even want to know what would have happened. Something terrible im sure. Glad to see apple missed out. Mainly because I cant stand apple and their dumbed down electronics for the masses.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

How ironic... Jobs mad about a company being bought out by MS that originally released Mac software. Sounds somehow familiar. Google "Emagic" "Logic Pro".

citac said:

meh Score Board Microsoft +1 Apple + 50 so far and counting, btw im a microsoft man just Apple has been slowly kicking ass for a while, look at market share + steam engine = they dont need to buy this gaming company. Microsoft needs to crush apple before they take over.

ional10 said:

woah! Apple missed a great opportunity there, I'm guessing Steve Jobs didn't really think about the gaming platform that much back then; had he known Bungie would be so successful with their Halo series he would have acquired them in a heartbeat. This just goes to show you that sometimes opportunities only present themselves once in a lifetime; and if you miss them once; they're gone forever.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

hee hee.... 'Furious', Yeah Jobs, lots of people get "Furious" when your 400 pound products start breaking after the warranty has run out.

Git

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

I, for one, am glad MSFT snapped up Bungie; I don't want a PC that's overpriced just because it's shaped like a Spartan helmet.

jetkami said:

citac said:

PLEASE!!!! Macs are overpriced crap! the OSX is supercilious and pretentious compared to Windows Vista 64 bit (with atleast 4gb)and Windows 7. Apple is riding the IPODPHONEPAD wave and thats it! they failed as a computer company once and STEVE will fail again! FAIL I SAY FAIL.

peteyhawkins said:

Thats strange, I would have never guessed that situation. But as an apple fan nowadays, I am still glad Microsoft got that deal, because bungie brought so much to xbox!

Neojt said:

Whos play games on Mac anyways!!??

ryan29121 said:

Its strange that apple would even want a gaming franchise. They do not even have a gaming platform to release games to. I guess their computers could run games. Halo works so well with the xbox though.

shortie said:

can you spell owned ? or pwnd if you're leet :P

Johny47 said:

I loved the first and second Halo games(didn't like the ending of the 3rd so don't follow them anymore), I played them ALOT =) so I'm glad that Microsoft got Bungie instead of apple because I doubt apple would have pushed Bungie to make an iconic sci fi first person shooter alot of people know of and love today.

I'm sure I read anoth article on techspot about something very similar happening with first Sony Playstation. Nintendo wanted Sony to design and build a Playstation(wasn't called this then) for them and then nintendo were going to turn the design plans over to sharp I think so Sony kept the plans and went to work 'manufacturing' the Sony Playstation, another nice story =)

freythman freythman said:

madboyv1 said:

To think what could have been: Halo on your iphone...

I both laugh and shudder from the concept of that.

I would cry myself to sleep every night if that happened.

co1rpal1 said:

I think it all worked out for the best. Had Xbox not had Halo....it would've went to way of the Dreamcast. In the end consumers win with Sony and Microsoft competing in the console world.

drasho said:

I wonder what halo would have turned out to be under Apple influence and the xbox wouldnt be as popular i think.

IamBD said:

"iHalo' just sounds bad.

frodough said:

haha Jobs just wanna wait it out and possibly negotiate a lower price probably but MS saw it and went for it. sometimes you just have to watch out other potential buys instead assuming the world revolves around you Jobs. i'm trying to replace the word Bungie with a good used car, i think it's the exact same situation

mpribe said:

In the long run, this might be a mixed-blessing for Apple. Seeing as how they are just now entering the games market and are riding the crest of their ultra-trendy wave, they can probably just invest in social media, free to play, or other "lite" versions of games rather than the more capital intensive "AAA" version that Bungie represents.

Both companies need to recognize who their core demographic is. With Apple, it's more image-savvy people (women) who don't care for serious gaming. Windows, on the other hand, has more of a "core gamer" demographic as its customer base. Microsoft seems to be recognizing this trend (belatedly, again) with their oft-revamped Games for Windows program. If Apple is truly the visionary company they often prove themselves to be, they should see the writing on the wall and invest in more casual, trendy-friendly gaming. I personally think they are on the right track by concentrating on providing the best, sleekest, most hip platform on which games can be played, and letting others worry about developing the content itself. That being said, they can probably afford to invest a bit in the content-generation business as well.

pyari said:

the first game which I ever played and finished is halo.....I love play it again and again even I don't have 2nd and 3rd. waiting for it N pc to support for it....wow.

thedrelle said:

cardriverx said:

what i see here though, is no one is going to spend the extra cash for an apple computer just to play a game, especially when Halo was just coming out. People may shell out as much as $400 dollars for a PS3 if there is a title they want, but over 1200 for a decent enough apple? I think not.

buttus said:

Wow. Imagine what would have happened if Bungie was bought by Apple instead of Microsoft. I remember Halo being in development for years. It was supposed to be the first massive online only game...and then eventually Bungie released it as Halo. Microsoft might not have had the XBox without the initial release and success of Halo.

Mushroom said:

Get over it and do it yourself, if you cared about bringing gaming to macs then not getting bungie would just be a minor speed bump.

momir said:

It's better this way,imagine if Halo was Mac only game? Xbox version would never even be under consideration,less the PC variant

treeski treeski said:

I've never gotten serious about console gaming, but Halo is always fun when I'm hangin out and friends' places, so I'm happy it ended up on the Xbox. Good job Microsoft

Afenix said:

I hate that apple wants to be EVERYWHERE. Well i don't mind phones, mp3 players, but even games?? FOR PC!? Man, the world is going crazy. Go back to your normal job, Job.

alexandrionel said:

I think this story is a bit exaggerated. They are just dramatizing what really happened. What do you think?

@klepto12 - Bungie split with MS (while MS owns the Halo IP) because of differences of opinion. They had "differences of opinion" on halo and it reached a point they were going to walk away from each other while there still civil.