Kinect used to control the original Super Mario Bros.

By on November 28, 2010, 4:28 PM
In order to celebrate 25 years of Mario, a gamer who calls himself Yankeyan posted a video titled "Kinect as a Nintendo controller on the PC." In it, he shows himself playing the original Super Mario Bros. game using Microsoft's Kinect motion controller. He used drivers from OpenKinect and FCEUX's NES emulation to create the proof of concept.

"I programmed it to recognize my motions and passed the virtual button presses to the NES emulator," reads the video's description. "I could have placed a simulated keypad right in front of me that I can press with my hands, but I thought full body gestures were more in the spirit of Kinect. Of course, Mario isn't designed to be played like this, so this is really really hard."

We also have a second video for you that really shows one avenue developers could take with Kinect hacking. Oliver Kreylos has managed to connect two Kinects together and calibrate them in a way to combine their two data streams into one continual video of a particular object. His work shows that it could one day be possible to combine multiple Kinects to have a truly 360 degree experience.

"First test of merging the 3D video streams from two Kinect cameras into a single 3D reconstruction," reads the video's description. "The cameras were placed at an angle of about 90 degrees, aimed at the same spot in 3D space. The two cameras were calibrated internally using the method described in the previous video, and were calibrated externally (with respect to each other) using a flat checkerboard calibration pattern and manual measurements."





User Comments: 16

Got something to say? Post a comment
madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Both are pretty gimmicky, but great proofs of concepts. oh the things people are coming up with now... lol

vangrat said:

Nice proof of concept. But, I would rather have seen some sort of gesture motion control. Jumping around will not go over well with the average person. Give mad props though for ingenuity.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

vangrat said:

Nice proof of concept. But, I would rather have seen some sort of gesture motion control. Jumping around will not go over well with the average person. Give mad props though for ingenuity.

Actually that is exactly what is needed. Something needs to get those little lard butts off the couch and moving before they develop diabetes at 11. Install a cool enough reward system into these games and eventually you'll have kids moving.

Show me a golfer that wouldn't play on this system? Or playing fighting games? If I were ten years old (let alone now) I'd much prefer to swing my fist to knock out someone than press a button.

bakape said:

Definitely a valid point.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

No need to go to the track or go for an early morning jog...just play this guy's concept of Mario Kinect, lol.

Guest said:

Who in their right mind would want to play a game like that. Facepalm.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Guest said:

Who in their right mind would want to play a game like that. Facepalm.

Hey, Mario has been, is, and always will be a classic that will never die! It may not have today's graphics, but it's still a GREAT game. It's sad to think that my generation was the last to see it before the newer consoles came out. But it will never be lost in time.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

matrix86 said:

Guest said:

Who in their right mind would want to play a game like that. Facepalm.

Hey, Mario has been, is, and always will be a classic that will never die! It may not have today's graphics, but it's still a GREAT game. It's sad to think that my generation was the last to see it before the newer consoles came out. But it will never be lost in time.

He meant to play the game LIKE THAT.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Who let the BOTs out (who, who who, who who)?

matrix86 matrix86 said:

lawfer said:

He meant to play the game LIKE THAT.

Oh...yeah...I knew that :P

Guest said:

He meant to play the game LIKE THAT.

This exactly.

Who let the BOTs out (who, who who, who who)?

Nobody, as I am not a bot. Although if I was, I would have to say I might just be the most sophisticated bot on the planet. All guest posts are not by bots, contrary to what you may believe.

treetops treetops said:

No ones trying to play a game like that, he did it for the hell of it which you would know if you actually read the article, when are you ps3 extremist going to finally be quiet and let everyone enjoy kinect?

edison5do said:

He meant to play the game LIKE THAT.

MAYBE.. But What the Hell, go and play with PS MOVE and post here if it more fun than this!

PS3 Extremist!! (they have passe d the fanboy tittle long ago).

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Guest said:

He meant to play the game LIKE THAT.

This exactly.

Who let the BOTs out (who, who who, who who)?

Nobody, as I am not a bot. Although if I was, I would have to say I might just be the most sophisticated bot on the planet. All guest posts are not by bots, contrary to what you may believe.

I wasn't talking about you. At that time, some BOT managed to sign up to the site and double posted their usual crap.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Treetops said:

No ones trying to play a game like that, he did it for the hell of it which you would know if you actually read the article, when are you ps3 extremist going to finally be quiet and let everyone enjoy kinect?

Who even mentioned the Move, let alone the PS3?

In reality, nobody would play Mario that way, but that doesn't mean that the fact he's playing it that way is bad. It is incredibly ingenious you could play the game that way, but it is simply impractical. Not until Kinect becomes what it was designed to be (a real controller replacement), buttons will be superior. It has nothing do with Move.

bioflex said:

and this is definitely one of the more reasons why i should get a kinect kit, i have got this cool concept of game control and i would really wanna try it out......have to get mu programming knowledge up first.....argghhhh.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.