LG: Windows Phone 7 push "wasn't what everyone expected"

By on January 14, 2011, 2:03 PM
LG has revealed its thoughts on the Windows Phone 7 launch in October 2010, saying it could have been better. While Microsoft will definitely not be too happy with the statements, it's not all bad news for the software giant.

"From an industry perspective we had a high expectation, but from a consumer point of view the visibility is less than we expected," James Choi, marketing strategy and planning team director of LG Electronics global, told Pocket-lint. "LG has been closely collaborating with Microsoft from the beginning. What we feel is that it is absolutely perfect for a huge segment out there. What we feel is that some people believe that some operating systems, mainly Google, are extremely complicated for them. But Windows Phone 7 is very intuitive and easy to use. For tech guys like us it might be a little bit boring after a week or two, but there are certain segments that it really appeals to. We strongly feel that it has a strong potential even though the first push wasn't what everyone expected."

LG will continue to support Microsoft's new mobile phone operating system, because it believes that offering choice is important. OEMs like LG already offer a myriad of hardware options, and the company wants to do the same with software: it's not beneficial to depend on one OS, such as Android. The company believes that Windows Phone 7 market share will continue grow, and the reason it's not doing so very quickly is because of the hardware requirements Microsoft set, which means WP7 devices are only high-tier.





User Comments: 10

Got something to say? Post a comment
yRaz yRaz said:

I'm still thinking about picking up the LG quantum. My blackberry pearl is showing it's age. I've had it s since 2006. Surprised the battery still works.

princeton princeton said:

yRaz said:

I'm still thinking about picking up the LG quantum. My blackberry pearl is showing it's age. I've had it s since 2006. Surprised the battery still works.

Have you seen the new pearl? It's around half as big and it's impossible to type on.

Emil said:

Princeton said:

yRaz said:

I'm still thinking about picking up the LG quantum. My blackberry pearl is showing it's age. I've had it s since 2006. Surprised the battery still works.

Have you seen the new pearl? It's around half as big and it's impossible to type on.

Have you tried typing on it? Didn't think so.

princeton princeton said:

Emil said:

Have you tried typing on it? Didn't think so.

I own it... What was that comment for? Obviously if I state it's difficult to type on I obviously own it or have used it extensively.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Your comment was indeed uncalled for, Emil. I know there are people who say things like that based on hearsay, but to just assume Princeton doesn't have one and throw out a crude comment like that is...well...kind of childish. As part of the techspot staff, we would expect a little more from you than that. I don't mean to be so straightforward, but it's the truth.

But anyway, for me, the jury is still out (once a week I waltz into a store and play with one), but I haven't heard that many great things about it. Though as with most phones, it's all personal preference. I still haven't made up my mind if I like it or not, but it doesn't matter since I don't actually own one. From most of the people i've talked to, they just didn't like the interface. I think we are just too used to the iPhone/Android interface (homescreen with app shortcuts and then app menu). I myself am a little scetchy on the interface. But as with anything new and different, it takes time to get used to.

windmill007 said:

Well yeah because they didnt' release it on Verizon Network....by the time they do it will be to late...Like the Iphone.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

matrix86 said:

Your comment was indeed uncalled for, Emil. I know there are people who say things like that based on hearsay, but to just assume Princeton doesn't have one and throw out a crude comment like that is...well...kind of childish. As part of the techspot staff, we would expect a little more from you than that. I don't mean to be so straightforward, but it's the truth.

But anyway, for me, the jury is still out (once a week I waltz into a store and play with one), but I haven't heard that many great things about it. Though as with most phones, it's all personal preference. I still haven't made up my mind if I like it or not, but it doesn't matter since I don't actually own one. From most of the people i've talked to, they just didn't like the interface. I think we are just too used to the iPhone/Android interface (homescreen with app shortcuts and then app menu). I myself am a little scetchy on the interface. But as with anything new and different, it takes time to get used to.

Agreed. That comment is not befitting a Techspot staff member. You're held to a higher standard Emil.

I got a Samsung Focus in Dec., and for me, the UI was one of the main reasons I got the phone. It's beautiful and arranged in a manner that makes sense when you don't try to view your phone as just a mobile desktop or laptop. I wanted something different than a computer-like experience with most of the features OF a computer. I couldn't be happier (well, no, I could use copy & paste) with WP7. My phone has become more useful to me than my old iPhone 3G.

princeton princeton said:

wagan8r said:

matrix86 said:

Your comment was indeed uncalled for, Emil. I know there are people who say things like that based on hearsay, but to just assume Princeton doesn't have one and throw out a crude comment like that is...well...kind of childish. As part of the techspot staff, we would expect a little more from you than that. I don't mean to be so straightforward, but it's the truth.

But anyway, for me, the jury is still out (once a week I waltz into a store and play with one), but I haven't heard that many great things about it. Though as with most phones, it's all personal preference. I still haven't made up my mind if I like it or not, but it doesn't matter since I don't actually own one. From most of the people i've talked to, they just didn't like the interface. I think we are just too used to the iPhone/Android interface (homescreen with app shortcuts and then app menu). I myself am a little scetchy on the interface. But as with anything new and different, it takes time to get used to.

Agreed. That comment is not befitting a Techspot staff member. You're held to a higher standard Emil.

I got a Samsung Focus in Dec., and for me, the UI was one of the main reasons I got the phone. It's beautiful and arranged in a manner that makes sense when you don't try to view your phone as just a mobile desktop or laptop. I wanted something different than a computer-like experience with most of the features OF a computer. I couldn't be happier (well, no, I could use copy & paste) with WP7. My phone has become more useful to me than my old iPhone 3G.

Don't worry. You guys will be getting copy,paste and other features in the upcoming patch. I was going to get a windows mobile 7 phone but all my carrier has is the LG optimus quadrant. I want the HD7.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Princeton said:

Don't worry. You guys will be getting copy,paste and other features in the upcoming patch. I was going to get a windows mobile 7 phone but all my carrier has is the LG optimus quadrant. I want the HD7.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not worried one bit about WP7, nor do I buy into all of the doom and gloom stories. What I'd like to see are some Tegra 2 WP7 phones.

princeton princeton said:

wagan8r said:

Princeton said:

Don't worry. You guys will be getting copy,paste and other features in the upcoming patch. I was going to get a windows mobile 7 phone but all my carrier has is the LG optimus quadrant. I want the HD7.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not worried one bit about WP7, nor do I buy into all of the doom and gloom stories. What I'd like to see are some Tegra 2 WP7 phones.

I'm pissed. I bought the galaxy S because bell didn't have the HD7. Now they're getting the HD7 next week. Someone kill me please.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.