Weekend Open Forum: Your first and current mouse

By on February 25, 2011, 7:49 PM
First introduced in 1968 by computing pioneer Douglas Engelbart, the mouse has evolved from an extremely simplistic "position indicator" to a highly specialized tool relied upon by billions. Although the basic input principles remain unchanged, modern mice offer decades of ergonomic refinement, instantly adjustable tracking sensitivity, macro abilities, customizable LED colors, and there are even touch-based models.

Obviously that development didn't happen overnight and if you're interested, Macworld ran a piece in 2008 highlighting the mouse's history. Before you go, be sure to tell us what your first mouse was (besides the freebies that come with OEM machines) as well as what you're currently using and what features are most important to you. I can't recall my first "real" mouse, but I'm currently using the second-generation Logitech G5.

princeton princeton said:

ATM I'm using a logitech G500. My first non OEM mouse was the MX518. Sometimes I pull out the apple hockey puck mouse to laugh at how bad of a design it was though.

brucethetech said:

everyone that came to my desk laughed. but this is the kensington trackball turboball.

[link]

is my favorite mouse every used it for years since i first got into IT before it broke. even took the ball out to play catch with coworkers from time to time until it died and now the price is way too high for used mice and they stopped making them....the ball is still fun to toss across the office

leondobr said:

I remember using the original Apple mouse and being amazed that I could move around the screen setting and unsetting pixels in their Paint program. What a joy not to be limited to the command line. Never did figure out how to use an Apple though, and never used another one. Now I use the Logitech M705 with Windows 7. All the little configurable buttons on it mean that now I only have to use the keyboard for typing text and nothing else.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

My first mouse was a Logitech Trackman Marble. Used it to play Diablo and Redeneck Ramapage. When I got hooked on Quake and original Unreal Tournament I got myself a no frills 3 button joint. Logitech MX's and Razer Mice have since followed followed. Currently using a Razer Imperator. My favorite mouse of all time is the Razer Diamondback which I've had for over 5 years.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Razer DeathAdder and Lachesis (current), OEM/Generic trackball -probably beige (first)

WildEast said:

MX-518, does the job right and on budget.

treeski treeski said:

My first mouse:

[link]

And my current mouse is the same as Matthew's... the Logitech G5

Lurker101 said:

Can't remember my first mouse, it's been way too long. My current mouse though is a Logitech G9

Staff
Erik Erik said:

Logitech G5, great mouse no complains here. I've used it a few years now. My first mouse was an OEM that after a couple of months the ball would fall out every time I lifted off the desk hahahaha I also remember it was a dust and dirt magnet.

Cueto_99 said:

First mouse... well, that was a long time ago so I can't remember the brand, probably MS... Now its a Razer Abyssus for my gaming PC and at work I use a Logitech VX Revolution, both of them are great for their own purpose!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I called him Kermit.

[link]

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I have just a regular old 1000dpi Microsoft Mouse. Does the trick for me, tried some "gaming" mouses and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Hard to recall exactly but I think the first mouse I bought standalone was the Microsoft Intellimouse (non optical). Nowadays I've completely dropped MS offerings in favor of Logitech, having used the MX518, G5 and G500 one after the other, and just recently fell in love with the Razer DeathAdder 3.5G.

yRaz yRaz said:

brucethetech said:

[link]

I have been a big fan of trackballs ever since I was a kid. My brother has a Kensington expert "mouse." It's really a trackball. My first was a trackball close in design to the expert mouse. I have some connectland generic optic mouse now, it's surprisingly nice. I miss my Logitech trackman though...

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I do as well. It's a 1000 Dpi Logitech M510, it's cordless which is a gamers no-no, but it seems rather fast and precise to me.

nismo91 said:

first mouse, one that has no scroll wheel and uses serial port. currently uses microsoft wireless mouse 700 v2. razer v1.6 is attached to another pc.

ruben1992 said:

Currenlty a lefty DeathAdder.

Raswan Raswan said:

Princeton said:

Weird. Me too, in both cases.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm using a Cyborg R.A.T. 5. I got it mostly because it looked really cool and has a lot of programmable stuff I like, but it is pretty comfortable as well.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

first mouse...? I don't really remember anymore. I'm a mouse freak, I've had PLENTY in my time, currently I'm in a Gigabyte mouse fad,

For one of my desktops i'm using the Gigabyte M8000X

For the other, the latest Gigabyte M6980 Ghost

For my laptop, I'm using a more unknown brand, the Powerlogic GMX-3

All gaming mice, and all real performers.

Still own a few Razer/ Logitech mice, but I feel that the Gigabyte ones give me a good price/ performance balance.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

The first standalone mouse I ever bought was a very small mouse from Macally, no idea why I actually bought it I don't think I used it that much.

Currently I own and love my Magic Mouse, although I'm more of a keyboard guy and I'm not that into pointer devices.

boybrushdred boybrushdred said:

cant remember my first mouse but i believe its just a standard 3 button mouse. im curently using a Logitech G9 mouse.

andreasf93 said:

My first was a Microsoft mouse that came with the PC. It was great until it broke, now I'm using SteelSeries Xai and I have to say it's best among any other Razer or Logitech gaming mice (from my experience of course). It is very good especially if you are a quality, and not a commercial gamer by playing games like Battlefield series or Counter Strike series.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

My first non-OEM mouse was the Deltaco MS-737G, (maybe not so) surprisingly enough, I called him Kermit, too.

[http://www.sladdbutiken.se/images/ms-737g.jpg]

I was so pleased that I bought another one, MS-737R.

Currently, I'm using one of the worst creations ever; the Chicony MR-0350TR. Nice mouse, wireless and all. But one critical design flaw: there is no "power off"-button... It's just like having a little disco-light on my desk.

bielius bielius said:

I think it was the Logitech black mouse everybody used, with a gum( or something) logo in the middle of the mouse. I now use Acme MA01, Because it was cheap and has CPI controls. The most important thing to me is Back button and CPI button, because i can get back in past and because when i play as a sniper in games, i must increase the sensitiveness. I can't imagine playing as a sniper without this function

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

um... I don't remember my first mouse. It might have been one of those Microsoft "Dove Bar" mice. Maybe sooner, can't remember. I'm currently using the Logitech PerformanceMX.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

First mouse was one of those off white two button mice of the early 90s. Now MX518.

NeoFlux said:

MX 518

Had lot of other Logitech, Microsoft, Razer models. Nothing better for me than this. Yet.

Ithryl said:

My first mouse had some kind of a cradle instead of a scroll-wheel. Although even that was quite a thing back then. Been using logitech for ages now - my current one being the G5. There was never anything wrong with the mouse, fits perfect, weight is ok, it's just so dirty by now that it makes me wonder whether I shouldn't wash my hands after using it.

mike1959 mike1959 said:

My first mouse would have been the one supplied with Commodore Amiga A500, beige in colour, wired, 2-button and rollerball. Bought a few since then, but current one is Microsoft Wireless optical 2.0.

Advantages are it's a big mouse that actually fits my hand, has a rough surface so grippy, has 2 x AA cells so 3 months till recharge, smooth scroll wheel, heavy, accurate.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I've been using Logitech mice for so long that I don't even remember my first non-OEM mouse. I currently using a Logitech MX510 and MX1000 for non-gaming duties and switching to a 2nd generation G5, G9X plus a Roccat Kone for gaming duties.

Cota Cota said:

A ball mouse, oh the old days... but now its a SideWinder X8 and i dont think i can go back to the non macro mouses.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

First was a mini mouse...Second was a mini mouse...Third was my first mini mouse because my second one broke.

I can't stand big chunky things when it comes to mice.

yowanvista yowanvista said:

First was a standard trackball PS/2 mouse, current is A4tech x6 22d

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

My first mouse what whatever came with my Compaq Presario 425 http://www.smartcomputing.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize
293n1109.jpg[img]

My current mouse is a Microsoft Habu.

zillion said:

Started gaming pretty late and used a logitech mx revolution for various mmo¬'s and after a long period of changes ive ended with a logitech G700 in combination with the steelseries SX pad i feel i have the perfect combo for my fps addiction :P

mrtraver said:

Does the trackball controller for my Atari 800 count? Guess not, since I could not use it to position a cursor on a text screen.

I thionk my first non-OEM mouse was a Logitech Trackman Marble. Then when scroll wheels came out, I picked up a Microsoft IntelliMouse. I still use them for backups or when testing new builds in the basement.

For my first PC build, I got a Logitech MX1000 wireless laser mouse, which I used almost exclusively until I got a deal on an MX1100 last year. I still use the MX1000 at work.

Win7Dev said:

Never had a "real" mouse, but I do remember having a Kensington Expert Mouse, which is a simple four-button trackball.

Korn007 Korn007 said:

Currently I am using a Razer Deathadder 3500 for all my needs, as far as my first non oem mouse I have no idea im sure it was ms or logitech way back when that was at least 15 years ago.

myrmidonks myrmidonks said:

Razer Deathadder

Korn007 Korn007 said:

pcnthuziast said:

Can't remember my first, but current is G500. Why is there a picture of a weird lookin pizza cutter?

catburst said:

Mionix naos 5000

Breech said:

Currently using a Logitech G9 with heaviest weights installed. Best mouse I've ever had. It's been far too long for me to remember what my first mouse was.

herpaderp said:

First mouse BOUGHT was a Logitech V470, before that, for years and years, i simply settled for generic OEM mice. Current mouse is an Ideazon Reaper Edge.

Arris Arris said:

First mouse, the one that came with the Commodore Amiga 500. And from there I used a few crappy ones that came with PCs. Then I switched to Logitech mice and have been using them ever since.

Johny47 said:

I have a Gigabyte laser mouse, it's nice and cost £4.99 from Play.com(quite comfortable) the highest DPI/speed of it and the one I use for FPS and RTS games is only 1600 but that's ok for me.

First mouse I ever used was a rubbish ball mouse on my parents old eMachines PC haha =/

What's that in the picture, one of the first mice made from wood? flippin heck that's so... primitive hahaha =P

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Razer lachesis is my current mouse, and my first "real" mouse.

I thought I'd be more useful for the price honestly; 4000 DPI is so useless I definitely feel like I overpaid this one. Next time, I'll settle for an accurate and dependable mouse at maybe ?$40 max.

ShiftedReality ShiftedReality said:

First mouse i remember having was with a older early to mid 90's PC and was using IBM PS/2 Model 25 Now the Logitech G9x and a Coolermaster Sentinel .

Modena said:

MX518, perfect mouse and great low price. Makes me hate using peoples OEM mouses, I start hitting back buttons that aren't there, the feel is horrible, and when I get back to my mouse it actually takes some re getting use to.