Weekend Open Forum: Your first and current mouse

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

First introduced in 1968 by computing pioneer Douglas Engelbart, the mouse has evolved from an extremely simplistic "position indicator" to a highly specialized tool relied upon by billions. Although the basic input principles remain unchanged, modern mice offer decades of ergonomic refinement, instantly adjustable tracking sensitivity, macro abilities, customizable LED colors, and there are even touch-based models.

Obviously that development didn't happen overnight and if you're interested, Macworld ran a piece in 2008 highlighting the mouse's history. Before you go, be sure to tell us what your first mouse was (besides the freebies that come with OEM machines) as well as what you're currently using and what features are most important to you. I can't recall my first "real" mouse, but I'm currently using the second-generation Logitech G5.

Permalink to story.

ATM I'm using a logitech G500. My first non OEM mouse was the MX518. Sometimes I pull out the apple hockey puck mouse to laugh at how bad of a design it was though.

everyone that came to my desk laughed. but this is the kensington trackball turboball.

http://fixya.net/Products/K/Kensington/177x150/turboball_trackball_309091.jpg

is my favorite mouse every used it for years since i first got into IT before it broke. even took the ball out to play catch with coworkers from time to time until it died and now the price is way too high for used mice and they stopped making them....the ball is still fun to toss across the office

I remember using the original Apple mouse and being amazed that I could move around the screen setting and unsetting pixels in their Paint program. What a joy not to be limited to the command line. Never did figure out how to use an Apple though, and never used another one. Now I use the Logitech M705 with Windows 7. All the little configurable buttons on it mean that now I only have to use the keyboard for typing text and nothing else.

My first mouse was a Logitech Trackman Marble. Used it to play Diablo and Redeneck Ramapage. When I got hooked on Quake and original Unreal Tournament I got myself a no frills 3 button joint. Logitech MX's and Razer Mice have since followed followed. Currently using a Razer Imperator. My favorite mouse of all time is the Razer Diamondback which I've had for over 5 years.

Logitech G5, great mouse no complains here. I've used it a few years now. My first mouse was an OEM that after a couple of months the ball would fall out every time I lifted off the desk hahahaha I also remember it was a dust and dirt magnet.

First mouse... well, that was a long time ago so I can't remember the brand, probably MS... Now its a Razer Abyssus for my gaming PC and at work I use a Logitech VX Revolution, both of them are great for their own purpose!

I have just a regular old 1000dpi Microsoft Mouse. Does the trick for me, tried some "gaming" mouses and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference.

Hard to recall exactly but I think the first mouse I bought standalone was the Microsoft Intellimouse (non optical). Nowadays I've completely dropped MS offerings in favor of Logitech, having used the MX518, G5 and G500 one after the other, and just recently fell in love with the Razer DeathAdder 3.5G.

brucethetech said:
everyone that came to my desk laughed. but this is the kensington trackball turboball.

http://fixya.net/Products/K/Kensington/177x150/turboball_trackball_309091.jpg

is my favorite mouse every used it for years since i first got into IT before it broke. even took the ball out to play catch with coworkers from time to time until it died and now the price is way too high for used mice and they stopped making them....the ball is still fun to toss across the office

I have been a big fan of trackballs ever since I was a kid. My brother has a Kensington expert "mouse." It's really a trackball. My first was a trackball close in design to the expert mouse. I have some connectland generic optic mouse now, it's surprisingly nice. I miss my Logitech trackman though...

I have just a regular old 1000dpi Microsoft Mouse. Does the trick for me, tried some "gaming" mouses and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference.

I do as well. It's a 1000 Dpi Logitech M510, it's cordless which is a gamers no-no, but it seems rather fast and precise to me.

first mouse, one that has no scroll wheel and uses serial port. currently uses microsoft wireless mouse 700 v2. razer v1.6 is attached to another pc.

Princeton said:
ATM I'm using a logitech G500. My first non OEM mouse was the MX518. Sometimes I pull out the apple hockey puck mouse to laugh at how bad of a design it was though.

Weird. Me too, in both cases.

I'm using a Cyborg R.A.T. 5. I got it mostly because it looked really cool and has a lot of programmable stuff I like, but it is pretty comfortable as well.

first mouse...? I don't really remember anymore. I'm a mouse freak, I've had PLENTY in my time, currently I'm in a Gigabyte mouse fad,

For one of my desktops i'm using the Gigabyte M8000X
For the other, the latest Gigabyte M6980 Ghost

For my laptop, I'm using a more unknown brand, the Powerlogic GMX-3

All gaming mice, and all real performers.

Still own a few Razer/ Logitech mice, but I feel that the Gigabyte ones give me a good price/ performance balance.

The first standalone mouse I ever bought was a very small mouse from Macally, no idea why I actually bought it I don't think I used it that much.

Currently I own and love my Magic Mouse, although I'm more of a keyboard guy and I'm not that into pointer devices.

cant remember my first mouse but i believe its just a standard 3 button mouse. im curently using a Logitech G9 mouse.

My first was a Microsoft mouse that came with the PC. It was great until it broke, now I'm using SteelSeries Xai and I have to say it's best among any other Razer or Logitech gaming mice (from my experience of course). It is very good especially if you are a quality, and not a commercial gamer by playing games like Battlefield series or Counter Strike series.

My first non-OEM mouse was the Deltaco MS-737G, (maybe not so) surprisingly enough, I called him Kermit, too.

[http://www.sladdbutiken.se/images/ms-737g.jpg]

I was so pleased that I bought another one, MS-737R.

Currently, I'm using one of the worst creations ever; the Chicony MR-0350TR. Nice mouse, wireless and all. But one critical design flaw: there is no "power off"-button... It's just like having a little disco-light on my desk.

Back