Apple announces iPad 2: improved design, price unchanged

By on March 2, 2011, 12:50 PM
Apple has announced the the iPad 2, the company's second-generation tablet. Just like its predecessor, the device will have the same pricing structure:
  • WiFi version: 16GB ($500), 32GB ($600), and 64GB ($700)
  • 3G version: 16GB ($630), 32GB ($730), and 64GB ($830)

The device will start shipping on March 11, 2011 in the US. You will be able to get it in black or white from either AT&T or Verizon. On March 25, it will arrive in 26 other countries.

The iPad 2 is one-third thinner than the first-generation model at just 8.8mm thick. It weighs 1.3 pounds, making it lighter than the original iPad, which weighed 1.5 pounds.

The iPad 2 features a faster dual-core A5 processor which offers up to 9 times faster graphics processing, rear and front facing cameras for recording video, taking photos, and FaceTime video chat. Despite these extras, the power consumption will be the same according to Apple, and the device will sport the same 10-hour battery life.

Apple also detailed two accessories for the iPad 2. A $40 cable will offer mirrored HDMI video out to HDTVs for 1080p high-definition output and will also charge the device. There's also a $70 magnetic "smart cover," which covers the front of the device and locks it. Microfibers on the screen cover will reportedly clean the iPad 2 display, while magnets will automatically align the cover on the screen.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs also took the opportunity to announce that iBooks now has over 200 million registered accounts and has paid out $200 million dollars to publishers. Cupertino sold 15 million iPads in 2010 during the nine months after the launch.

ramonsterns said:

I think I will wait for the iPad 17 in two years before I try it.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ramonsterns said:

I think I will wait for the iPad 17 in two years before I try it.

I was going to say something similar; though my time frame would have been a lot shorter. :P

ramonsterns said:

lawfer said:

ramonsterns said:

I think I will wait for the iPad 17 in two years before I try it.

I knew I was being too optimistic.

Raswan Raswan said:

Complete noob question perhaps: I am assuming they stop making the iPad 1 completely? Or do they continue manufacturing it but drop the price? Reason I ask is I'm assuming they could capture a significant portion of the untapped commercial market not currently willing to pay $500,$ 600, or $800 on this piece of crap, but might be willing to shell out $250 or $300.

Just wondering...

RaiDeR55 said:

Kinda like they are doing now with the iphone GS model for 49.99.Which is cheaper than when it first came out. Just sell ipad for less and still make MORE $$$$..

Apple likes $$.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Raswan said:

Just wondering...

Just saw that they "slashed" the original iPad price down to $399 for the 16 gig Wi-Fi model. Looks like it's around $100 less for each version, across the board. Not much of a discount considering the tech jump in the new generation. Once the new version actually hits the shelves, look for prices to drop even more, and cheap used and refurbed units to clog up ebay as people scamper to buy the latest greatest.

Nima304 said:

Seriously, $40.00 for an HDMI cable? Well, it's Apple, I shouldn't have been surprised.

princeton princeton said:

I'm quite happy that jobs was able to make it there to do the announcement. I know a lot of people were wondering if he would still be at conferences and events.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the iPad 2. At least they threw in a few features that the original should have had to begin with, but without a microSD slot, USB or Thunderbolt, HDMI port, and Retina Display, I'm going to have to pass yet again.

aj_the_kidd said:

Princeton said:

Yeah i thought he was just going to teleconference in or have a prepared video but good for him to showing up.

krayzie said:

the white looks like you bought it from kmart or something

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

$500 minimum for that? LOL Way overpriced! Maybe if the thing had a true mac OS running on it then things could be more interesting

princeton princeton said:

xclusiveitalian said:

It's basically the same specs as the Xoom. For over $150 less how can you call it overpriced?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Nima304 said:

They're getting them from Best Buy, so the cost is understandable. =)

princeton princeton said:

gwailo247 said:

Nima304 said:

They're getting them from Best Buy, so the cost is understandable. =)

That was epic man. TBH I bet they're also made by monster.

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

Even though it is a large improvement over the previous generation I think it still doesn't match up to the other products on the market. The Motorola Xoom is actually a lot better than this. One of its most important advantages in my opinion is the 1280x800 resolution display in comparison to the 1024x768 display on the Ipad 2. This alone is enough to justify the extra price in my opinion. The is also the fact that the cameras in the Ipad 2 alot worse than the Xoom, will have flash support, and more ram (1gig vs 500mg). Its not that I have anything against the Ipad, I just disagree with all the talk that it is a game changer as there are already comparable, if not better products already available. Apple has a large amount of brand loyalty so if apple tells them their product is a game changer they will believe them.

princeton princeton said:

TrekExpert said:

I really dislike apple, but the ipad having guaranteed updates is a big factor over the Xoom. Moto has a worse update rep than any other manufacturer.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

TrekExpert said:

I'm actually using a motorola Xoom right now. Android 3.0 is great, fast and snappy. However, the device still feels unfinished in terms of software. The obvious ones is lack of new apps (but that's to be expected.) But still no flash support at the moment, and there are odd quirks here and there using apps. While watching some youtube videos, it would randomly freeze and ask to force quit. There's also no way to "quit" each app until it decides to close it on its own. So I notice the device starts to get a little sluggish once there's too many apps open.

As for the physical specs, it's about the same weight as the iPad. Putting it next to my brother's iPad, we both agreed that it looks smaller and more widescreen. The higher resolution screen does make everything look crispier. But honestly it's not as huge of a difference as I'd expected, the iPad's screen still looked pretty good.

The best part of the Xoom so far IMO is browsing the web. It's nice to actually have real tabs and it's very fast and snappy. It gets pretty close to a real PC web browser and is a joy to use. It also finally runs in higher frame rates which makes scrolling as smooth as iOS. (Something lacking from the mobile Android OS'.)

So to compare the Xoom to the iPad 2, IMO I think the iPad 2 will be better. This is coming from someone who don't like Apple products. Considering the price is the same as the original iPad, you pretty much get more for your money. But I think once Google start polishing and updating Android 3.0, it will be one of the best competitors to the iPad 2. Now there's only that issue of Price.

Cota Cota said:

Ill never get one of those things, i want to keep up my liver functional and avoid the pain of being a power user stuck on these (Mini PC's included).

wagan8r said:

Do you want us to yell surprise so you can act being surprised too? xD.

Placeholder Placeholder said:

Um, okay. How is this not creating a giant pile of landfill fodder...? Do they have a recycling program for the existing stock of the model 1's...? Who is going to want them when you can get the shinier one for the same price?

This kind of marketing along with putting a proprietary battery in their stuff that no mere mortal can replace really grates my cheese.

princeton princeton said:

Placeholder said:

You'll see the wifi model one for $299 very soon. There's lots of people who don't mind having older technology when they save that much.

Personally if I were to buy a tablet right now it would probably be an ipad 2. I'm sick of waiting for android updates and having them never come at times.

How does that cover clean the screen though? It's like putting paper towel on my Galaxy S and expecting it to be cleaned.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Well, I can't see the price of iPad 1 dropping by more than $100. The iPhone 3GS didn't even drop that much when 4 came out.

It's about appearing upper-class. Apple selling iPad 1 for $100-200 won't do anything good for their image.

But IMO this is what the original iPad should have been, much like 7 v Vista, and iPhone 4 v 3GS.

Kenrick said:

Looks like it has decent upgrades just like the iphone 3g to 3gs. No usb support again as usual. Well anyway, it is the experience that set it apart from other competitors. Truly Apple has the winning formula for hardware and software interoperability. Oh good to see Steve Jobs BTW.

On the other hand, looks like android is in the news again.

[link]

IAMTHESTIG said:

Still a 4:3 aspect ratio...? How does it have 1080p output again?

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

IAMTHESTIG said:

Still a 4:3 aspect ratio...? How does it have 1080p output again?

The screen itself is 4:3 but it probably OUTPUTS to 1080p.

aj_the_kidd said:

st1ckm4n said:

I'd probably wouldn't dislike Apple as much if this wasn't true

kenrick said:

On the other hand, looks like android is in the news again.

[link]

It was bound to happen, Apple fanboys will be loving this.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I would say nice improvements, but they are 'evolutionary' in nature, nothing revolutionary. I expect the competition to surpass Apple in coming months, and if Apple can't keep up and be competitive by the time third iteration of their pad is due, they may start falling behind. Even now, the biggest attraction for it is the App Store IMO.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Didn't really get the whole "smart cover" thing... having magnets in such a pricey device seems a bit risky. And with Apple's warranty-void guidelines, things could get dirty. Those fibres cleaning the screen better be microfibres, otherwise It'll scratch the screen down in no-time. Apple wouldn't want to force their customers into sticking with new Apple products all-life-long, right? "That'll be $40 for an HDMI cable." Whoa... Mr. Jobs, you used to be so cool...

Squatz101 said:

2 Cameras??

Better Graphics??

New Processor x2 as fast?????

I WANT ONE!!

Kenrick said:

sarcasm said:

TrekExpert said:

Nice and informative review, sarcasm. Just like I said before, it is the perfect harmony of both software and hardware that makes the difference. This is the Apple formula. And this makes the ipad the winner in tablet category. Match it with a mature and polished ecosystem of the apps store, and it will take a huge margin over the competitors. I hope they bring the price to a more affordable range and I will surely get one.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Cota said:

wagan8r said:

Do you want us to yell surprise so you can act being surprised too? xD.

Sorry, I only act for money. Or cookies. Or both!

AmanEatingChair said:

I don't understand paying so much for a tablet. Buy a $500 laptop. It's not like the ipad fits in your pock. Foolishness

IAMTHESTIG said:

sarcasm said:

IAMTHESTIG said:

Still a 4:3 aspect ratio...? How does it have 1080p output again?

The screen itself is 4:3 but it probably OUTPUTS to 1080p.

Maybe... it better... but doesn't look that way on the picture for this article. However maybe a video will use the entire external display.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Just don't use the touchscreen with your left hand while holding the device with your right or it will drop the call I mean image.

ViperSniper2 said:

iCrAppleholics need to get a grip and realize that iFad 2 ain't all that. Imean two improvements to go with all they left out. No USB DIRECT Connection or even Faster Dual Band 2.4g & 5.0 Wifi Direct for Wireless 1080p Video and Games to your HDTV's. Cable connections are sooooo...... last Century in the age of faster wireless of Wifi and 4G. You don't realize that until you have a Android phone with 4G and it's much faster than your Cable. Then you can end up cutting wires for good both in your home and out on the road!

Can't do that with anything from CrApple and the reason they can't and won't run FLASH on mobiles, is because they CAN'T and save battery life along with that. Along with the simple fact that they CAN'T compete with the 3 Million FLASH developers that can write Games ONCE...... and have them run on Desktops and Mobiles. For Android and Desktops, their App Store is the entire World Wide Web of Millions of Applications. While FLASH also controls iOS App Store via converted FLASH Apps they have to pay for that the rest of the World gets for FREE! ......why? Because HTML5 as yet has NO Pay Apps without being in a FLASH Container!!! ^_*

11 reasons NOT to buy an iPad 2