GeoHot denies involvement in PlayStation Network hack attack

By on April 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
PlayStation 3 jailbreaker George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, has denied that he was involved in the PlayStation Network hack last week that took the network offline and saw 77 million user accounts comprised. Here's his stance:
And to anyone who thinks I was involved in any way with this, I'm not crazy, and would prefer to not have the FBI knocking on my door. Running homebrew and exploring security on your devices is cool, hacking into someone else's server and stealing databases of user info is not cool. You make the hacking community look bad, even if it is aimed at douches like Sony.

Earlier this month, Sony and GeoHot announced they had settled the lawsuit, though the terms were not fully disclosed. Despite this, GeoHot is still boycotting Sony and insists that he continues to oppose the company and its fight with hackers.

That being said, GeoHot tells his fans not to fault Sony engineers for the PSN hack attack. He believes that the fault lies with the executives "who declared a war on hackers, laughed at the idea of people penetrating the fortress that once was Sony, whined incessantly about piracy, and kept hiring more lawyers when they really needed to hire good security experts." In short, he insists that Sony is in this situation because it alienated the hacker community.

GeoHot also speculates that Sony's "arrogance and misunderstanding of ownership" put them in this position. He argues that Sony executives believe they own both the server and the client, so they likely disregarded that there should be a trust boundary for a web service between the server and the client and instead just put a trust boundary between the consumer and the client (anti piracy measures and so on). His argument is that this undermines the basic security principle of never trusting the client. This is a fundamental problem that Sony has, according to GeoHot:

Notice it's only PSN that gave away all your personal data, not Xbox Live when the 360 was hacked, not iTunes when the iPhone was jailbroken, and not Gmail when Android was rooted. Because other companies aren't crazy.

GeoHot comes full circle and once again declares that Sony needs to accept that they do not own and control the PS3 when they sell it to the consumer. That would be nice, but the fact of the matter is that Sony beat GeoHot in court and we haven't made any progress: Sony's official stance remains if you crack your PS3, you'll get banned while hackers continue to battle with the company by cracking the latest PS3 firmware and finding workarounds for the console.

hitech0101 said:

Even my local newspaper had this arcticle sony gonna lose customers fast if they don't do anything.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

He put out a statement to the media that referenced vinegar based feminine hygiene prodcuts?

Don't taze me bro.

Jibberish18 said:

The man's keepin it real yo.

Serves Sony right. Now if I can only get my roommate to shut up and stop complaining about how he can't play Black Ops.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not gonna happen. =p

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

He does have some good points imo, just seems a bit weird to criticize them so heavily after settling.

77 million user accounts comprised.

Thanks for labeling them as accounts instead of individual subscribers like other outlets.

That would be nice, but the fact of the matter is that Sony beat GeoHot in court and we haven't made any progress.

Huh? They settled the case, Sony didn't get a legal victory here neither did Geo lose in court.

I've lost allot of respect for Sony because of this. All this battle they fought only to let it hurt nobody better than their own users. When they discovered this breach of the Playstation 3 keys they should've changed it up a long ago.

Uh oh.. they know my name... my email... and my birth date! I'm going to die...

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Uh oh.. they know my name... my email... and my birth date! I'm going to die...

Someone could steal your identity and then die! What would that mean!? haha

RaiDeR55 said:

PC FTW! Gaming Network - Internet (always On)FTW!

Leeky Leeky said:

I love that comment! It about sums it all up really!

I seriously feel for those who's details have been taken though!

So stupid, why would someone hack the network? to bad if you had your bank details on your acount, lucky i didnt.;)

Don't forget credit card number, security number for said card, and the secret phrase to regain account, that's just about it.

Yeah man your right (Im a 360 player) all my friends play PS3 and They wont move to XBox360 no matter hwo many times PSN gets hacked they arent goning to chagne to 360 bro

*sigh* Lets just fix the network and hope Sony would stop blabbering about hackers. Just get better engineers and programmers for better protection against who-ever the hacker is. They better give some compensation.

And for hackers that justify their actions by saying "freedom," make your own damn console and do whatever you want to do with it. Or change things the right way, not the controversial way. Use your head!

Uhh Geo it is your crack that made this happen. Proxy, and of course you can't trust the client. just take a look at all the "back up" programs home brew created. now every friggen game is on the internet for stealing. your such a sniveling little thief piece of schnitt. it's all your fault you spoiled little brat i hope you choke on a pretzel. just wait till the feds catch this person or persons cause when they comb his computer and find your hack they'll be no stopping people from suing you into the dark ages.

uhh wrong what happens if you cant login to the game servers?

Just pay geohot a few million+ to set up the security system..... :)

problem solved.... :)

I hate Sony now.

They've mishandled this from the get go. From the moment they went after Geo, to this very moment they've done NOTHING..I mean nothing right.

I'm in a position to recommend Sony to my customers and have for years. Not any more. Their TV's picture quality has lagged over the last few years compared to Panasonic and Samsung. Couple that with their Network's terrible security and their "douche" approach to Geo and adios Sony.

man sony just sucks they knew this was going to happen, and taunted hackers to do it. its not really geoffs fault he just gave the tools to do it.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Relic said:

Well, even though I'm personally on GeoHotz's side - I'd say he pretty much got his *** kicked. Sony got the right for this and that, and this and that, and then some more this and that, and then some! Mr. Hotz did not get much out of the agreement.

Flannelwarrior said:

I never suspected GeoHot...this is Anon's work, is it not?

Yes some of it is Anon because Sony found some Files from them.