Microsoft sends Mozilla a smaller cake for Firefox 5 release

By on June 22, 2011, 6:30 AM

Microsoft has once again sent a congratulatory cake to Mozilla, this time for the release of Firefox 5. This is the fourth cake the software giant has sent; it's become a tradition that is celebrated upon major version releases of the open-source browser.

While it's not really a huge deal, it's worth noting that the cake Microsoft sent this time is noticeably smaller. It appears that the company is trying to cut costs (Mozilla has announced it is releasing at least four major versions this year), is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both.

In any case, here is the relevant tweet from Damon Sicore, VP of Engineering at Mozilla, and an accompanying picture:

Just received the congrats cake. From all at Mozilla, thank you, Microsoft. We love you, too. :) http://img.ly/5k48

The tradition began in October 2006, when the Internet Explorer 7 development team sent a cake to Mozilla for successful shipping Firefox 2. Given the state of the browser wars at the time, many joked about the cake being poisoned, while others teasingly suggested that Mozilla send a cake back along with the recipe, in reference to the fact that the organization produces open-source software. The IE8 development team sent another cake on June 17, 2008, when Firefox 3 was released. The last cake was sent in March 2011, after the release of Firefox 4.

Mozilla still plans on shipping Firefox 6.0 and Firefox 7.0 before the end of year. Firefox 6 is slated for an August 2011 release. The non-profit organization has promised to push out a new stable build every six weeks, so it's possible we may even see Firefox 8.0 and Firefox 9.0 before the year is out.

gobbybobby said:

Bah I downloaded it yesterday and there is no difference.

Well actually there is

Half my add on and plugins didn't work anymore. Thats the only difference I noticed.

Whats the point in major releases so often, they just love MS cakes so much they want to get more out of em

Firefox 5.0 should have been released next year.

FF 6.0 in 2013

so on and so forth.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

I guess Mozilla must really be cake hungery since I remember that last one being post on here was not that long ago.

After trying FireFox 5, the IE team should have sent them a cupcake. I mean FF 5 is just a few bug fixes and not much more. It really should be FF 4.2 but since Mozilla has changed the major version to really now be a minor version, the IE team should just send them a bonbon with each release.

Firefox used to be all about careful iterations.

I suspect a new manager or someone with lofty "visions" is running some department there, and is all about impressing someone with her new short/long term goals, and working the developers to the bone, all in the name of a huge promotion and/or bonus. Do I sound bitter? Bah @ management!!!!!

A smaller cake means market is shrinking for IE, and earth is shaking under their feet, surely not a concern that more frequent updates will make the fox fat, 'cos that'd be a faul play.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I really don't understand the desire to push out major versions of Firefox at such a frequent pace. I work at a software company, where we release minor versions every 4-6 weeks. The idea behind a major version release is that either something fundamental has been changed, or there is a significant enhancement. If Firefox keeps up this pace, it will get ridiculous when we get up to Firefox 42, etc.

Maybe they're just trying "catch up" to IE 10 and Chrome 12.

I look forward to FF2688.

C'mon... why the rush to up the major version number? No wonder they can't compete with IE at the corporate level. It took our companies months and months of testing (thousands of apps)before we could move to a newer version of IE. It's about stability... and we all do only have 24 hours a day, don't we?

tehbanz tehbanz said:

wagan8r said:

Maybe they're just trying "catch up" to IE 10 and Chrome 12.

That's a valid argument, if you were speaking to someone non-technical who heard that IE and Chrome were 10 and 12 and firefox was ONLY 5? They might think it was "behind" or not as advanced.

I work in a business that forces me to think from both perspectives and often times from the lesser perspective technology doesn't always make sense.

And since lots of older folks use "foxfire" it makes sense to want them to feel more secure etc.

63Jax said:

a nice love story between Microsoft and Mozilla

KG363 KG363 said:

" It appears that the company is trying to cut costs, is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both."

I doubt it has anything to do with costs. I'm inclined to believe the latter

Jibberish18 said:

I've confirmed through benchmarks that FF5 is definitely and technically faster than FF4. The changes are mostly internal. How many changes have you noticed with Chrome for example? Call me crazy but Chrome 9 and Chrome 13 look about the same to me. Funny thing is, people will criticize Mozilla for quicker stable releases but not Google. Personally I don't mind the releases but I also think that good things can take time so waiting around wouldn't be such a bad thing.

raybk said:

Yeah! FF5 is good, it's faster than FF4.

Good to know that IE is shrinking.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 Jibberish

Generally my feeling is Google just do all the bug fixes, then throw in few newish features, improve speed by 0.0000001 seconds for page loads and give the release a new version number

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Yeah, because a $22 cake from Walmart puts a really big dent in their teeny tiny bank account

/sarcasm

mailpup mailpup said:

C'mon now. Size doesn't matter. Oh...wait.

I think we now know the real reason Mozilla will be pushing out new versions of Firefox so often...for the cake.

Booo Mozilla..Go back to the way you did it before. FF5 has nothing other than ad-on compatibility problems..... Why does every update you bring out break ad-ons? You should work on this more verses pushing out a fake major update...this is nothing more than a bug fix update. I think I may finally have to try Chrome....Hope I don't like it.

I wouldn't eat it if I were they.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

kg363 said:

I doubt it has anything to do with costs. I'm inclined to believe the latter

Soon it will be a stale Famous Amos cookie from a vending machine with a post it note attached to the wrapper.

Emil said:

kg363 said:

I doubt it has anything to do with costs. I'm inclined to believe the latter

matrix86 said:

/sarcasm

The first part was a joke guys.

My browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. You should use my browser because my browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. My toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks. You should use my toothpaste because my toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks.

Lurker101 said:

You people still don't get it, do you? This isn't about catching up to Internet Explorer, or Opera or Chrome or anything else in terms of version numbers. This is marketing. Pure and simple. The Mozilla team are pushing hard and fast, so they can be the ones with the bragging rights to having Firefox 8 for Windows 8. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Jibberish18 said:

on June 22, 2011

8:16 AM I look forward to FF2688.

Heaven forbid some of these companies update their age old websites. These same companies maybe the same demographic that still uses IE6.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Isn't this the fourth time you posted this drivel?

"You know, because it's YOUR dog, get it?"

"Yeah, we've got it. "

Timonius Timonius said:

Mmmm... I think Mozilla's in it for the cake! LOL!

aj_the_kidd said:

Timonius said:

Mmmm... I think Mozilla's in it for the cake! LOL!

My thoughts exactly they just want more cake.

Personally I will wait for an actual useful update that has a faster load time, until then ff4 works fine for me

Cota Cota said:

stewi0001 said:

Had any one of you guys tough that the Mozilla guys may have a cake fetish?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cota: I wonder if this may make Google feel lonely in the bushes ............

Mozilla: slow down a lil bit, half of my add-ons stopped working after upgrade. let those run with you, not behind you..

Puiu Puiu said:

I see a few people that say that FF 5 has addon problems. It's not their fault.

FF5 doesn't change anything important in the addons manager. Just remove the compatibility checker and i'm sure you addon will work with no problems. (as long as has been updated to work for FF4 at least)

I have no problems with my addons but since i know what i'm doing i don't install crappy addons.

Leeky Leeky said:

There other cakes were better!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think they know that they'll need to send more cakes so they are just saving the money hence the 'smaller' cakes Leeky.

Leeky Leeky said:

They should have sent an even larger cake... Would make a more profound statement IMHO.

PinothyJ said:

You obviously didn't see the cake for FF4: it was quite large (at least as I remember it) - so this cake is appropriate in size in direct comparison.

...

PinothyJ said:

All of my addons are sitting pretty.

Maybe you should ease up on the social networking...