Crysis 2 DirectX 11 patch is out, comparison inside

By on June 27, 2011, 4:52 PM

Update: As expected the Crysis 2 "DX11 Ultra Upgrade" patch and the high-resolution texture pack are now available for download. The update introduces DirectX 11 support as well as graphical improvements to both DX11 and DX9 versions of the game. For more details on the changes read our original post from last Friday below. On a relevant note, there's also a fan-made Crysis HD texture mod here.

Making good on its promise, Crytek has announced that it will finally add DirectX 11 graphics to Crysis 2. The developer plans to release three separate downloadable add-ons that improve the game's visual quality alongside patch 1.9 next Monday, June 27. To be clear, although patch 1.9 will enable DirectX 11 support, you'll have to individually download and install the "DirectX 11 Ultra Upgrade," "DX11 Tessellation Pack," and "High Res Textures."

The DirectX 11 Ultra Upgrade will deliver a host of graphical improvements and performance optimizations for both DX9 and DX11 APIs. After installing the update, folks running Crysis 2 in DX9 will gain real-time local reflections and contacts shadows. In addition to those effects, DX11 platforms will enjoy hardware tessellation, parallax occlusion mapping along with various shadow, water, particle, depth of field, and motion blur enhancements.

To enable hardware tessellation, however, DX11 players will have to download the DX11 Tessellation Pack, which contains pre-tessellated geometries. As its name indicates, the third optional download simply contains high-resolution textures for a variety of assets. Both DX9 and DX11 versions of Crysis 2 will support the snazzier textures, but it's worth noting that you'll need a graphics card with at least 1GB of VRAM and a 64-bit OS.

Patch 1.9 will also deliver nearly a dozen gameplay tweaks, including a handful multiplayer bug fixes for issues that caused incorrect stat logging and authentication problems. Another glitch prevented JAW rockets from firing through windows with broken glass. The update will also improve anti-cheat measurements as Crytek has fixed an exploit that allowed players to become immune to vote kicking. We've included the full release notes below.

Although they haven't been officially released yet, a few lucky players managed to download the updates from Crytek's test environment before the company removed the files from public view. You'll have to wait until Monday to experience the higher-quality graphics in all their splendor, but you can whet your appetite with six animated GIFs that compare the before and after effects of DX11 Tessellation courtesy of a NeoGaf forum member.

Unfortunately, for every PC gamer that is ecstatic about the DX11 update, we imagine there are two who will shrug it off with a chip on their shoulder. Many PC gamers were disappointed by Crysis 2's console-biased launch, giving the game an average Metacritic user score of 6.4 out of 10. For those of you who dismissed Crysis 2 as a console port: is the DX11 patch enough to forgive and forget, or is Crytek simply putting tinsel on a dead Christmas tree?

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

Lurker101 said:

Sounds to me like their trying to put some bells and whistles onto a rusted old bike. It's easy to forgive a console biased port, so long as it's a solid game. So what if the graphics are a little sub par. If the gameplay is great and it's not filled with more bugs than a cheap motel then most of the "console-whining" dies down pretty fast.

Unfortunately, this isn't one of those games. So a few extra bloom effects and cheap 3D tricks aren't going to cut it.

yRaz yRaz said:

Too little too late Crytec. Sorry, but you dropped the ball on this one. The game still isn't worth $60 and they have to balls to charge for DLC too. I was thinking of buying it on steam when the price came down but that's not happening now.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to show 1080p images of it, those small pictures don't do it any justice, you can't tell that much of a difference between the 2. Perhaps there is a reason for the low resolution images?

1.8 patch

1.6 Catalyst

1.6 CAP1's

Crossfired 6950's...

Still flickers. Here's to 1.9 fixing it even tho there is no mention of it in the release notes.

*fingers crossed*

yRaz yRaz said:

1.8 patch

1.6 Catalyst

1.6 CAP1's

Crossfired 6950's...

*fingers crossed*

"* Improved multi-GPU support"

It's third to the bottom of the list. I don't have a multi GPU setup but a title like crysis not only should have it as a standard feature, but it NEEDS it. It'd be kind of dumb for them to put a DX 11 patch out without support for the hardware to run it.

howzz1854 said:

i actually had quite a good time with the game before i went online and saw all the negative whine about the sequel. to me it played and looked great. the new update will be a welcome addition to me.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I was pretty hacked off when I started playing the game. Probably put 90 minutes into it before realizing what a lame console port it was. Then I heard there was going to be a DX11 patch and decided to wait until then to pick it up again.

I'm not angry at CryTek, but certainly disappointed. I hate to bring it up, but CryTek was off-the-charts furious at the massive amounts of illegal downloads they experienced with Crysis (2nd most pirated game ever behind Spore) and stated afterwards that as a result, they weren't going to focus on developing games based on the PC first, consoles second any longer. It was going to be the other way around. So this console port game we received is not a total surprise, I was just hoping for better.

At any rate, I'll take the DX11 patch and finish the game. No more pre-orders from CryTek though. I've learned my lesson.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Crytek brought out Crysis and it was so future proof that it wouldn't run on decent settings on a lot of machines and looked terrible on anything that wasn't significantly more powerful than any previous recommended specs for other games at the time. Alot of people used that excuse to download it to "test" on their hardware.

Now they do the opposite and get torn to pieces as well as having a leak of the full game before release. I am glad they brought out the DX11 patch - its an incentive that might cause me to buy it sometime. Probably after I buy Battlefield 3 which will force me to enroll on "Origin" anyway. And once it is on a sale.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I meant that Crytek did the opposite by bringing out a game that anyone can play pretty much and promising a DX11 patch that would require stronger specs.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

yukka said:

A lot of people used that excuse to download it to "test" on their hardware.

As long as the presumption is that anybody wishing to return a computer game for any reason is a pirate, then I could care less how butt hurt any developer gets, or whines about food being taken from the mouths of their children. If they choose to alienate themselves from the PC gaming crowd, so be it.

There will always be some company somewhere who will still cater to the PC market. Considering that groups of talented individuals can put out professional quality mods for existing games that completely revamp the game play experience and the visuals, and then distribute it for free, I'm not worried about the future of PC gaming.

jetkami said:

Do you you also play alot of console games?. For true PC Gamers this game sucked!

princeton princeton said:

Parallax Occlusion Mapping

That should have been there since day ****ing one. Anyway it's a dead game that isn't worth playing so it's not like anyone will care about this patch. DX11 can't save this game.

princeton princeton said:

We have valve and GSC, all we need is them to make great games with great replayability. Look at how many people play counter strike and TF2. Then we have GSC to make the stalker games.

"* Improved multi-GPU support"

The game doesn't look good enough to warrant using 2 GPUs :P

blimp01 said:

parallax occlusion mapping, from crysis 1 looked horrible, hopefully the command to disable it will work

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

The game doesn't look good enough to warrant using 2 GPUs :P

Remember 'fake DX10' in the first Crysis?.....I'm just sayin.

princeton princeton said:

blimp01 said:

Well do me a favor. Go outside and look at a ground covered in rocks. Now tell me which one of these looks more like the ground covered in rocks.

[link]

If you said POM disabled you may want to invest in a good pair of glasses and or contact lenses.

Now that picture is cropped and contains some jagged edges. Here's a better example.

[link]

Could you please inform us all on how that looks inferior to when the ground is flattened?

Cota Cota said:

Too late! already deleted it on my soon list, 60 dollars for some good campaign and a mediocre multiplayer inst worth it! Besides i still have to give it back to my 11yo bro who didnt like it...

princeton princeton said:

Pardon? It wasn't as bad as cod but cmon man, it was no stalker, half life, bioshock. It was...ok, it got predictable and repetitive at times. It certainly wasn't awful though.

*sigh* One thing console gamers have. They can return, resell or rent games if they turn out to be crap.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

howzz1854 said:

Agreed, I don't understand why people are QQing so hard. The first Crysis wasn't the best thing ever, but it was fun just like Crysis 2. I'm looking forward to testing out my RIG with the new update.

i have 1.2 patch installed

Will i need to instal every patch between 1.2 & 1.9 or i can directly install 1.9 patch and dx11?

^^^beat it pirate. if you had a legit copy, you'd be running it with patch 1.8 right now and wouldn't be asking how the cycle goes.

"* Improved multi-GPU support"

How do you get flickering fix out of that?

The game doesn't look good enough to warrant using 2 GPUs :P

Then you've never played the game.

princeton princeton said:

The game doesn't look good enough to warrant using 2 GPUs :P

Then you've never played the game.

Played it 5 minutes ago on the level "dead man walking" The shadows are exceptionally low quality and when you start the level the floorlamps cause the most over the top bloom I've ever seen in a video game. Not to mention the awful foliage growing on the sides of the skyscrapers. It's very surprising because the first game had amazing foliage, I guess they fired their vegetation artist/team.

Nice try trying to make me look foolish but if you're going to make a claim like that then make sure that I've made enough false statements to warrant the belief that I never played Crysis 2.

Oh and for the record this was at 1920x1200 with all settings in the advanced graphic options set to extreme.

Sure he could. Don't accuse him of piracy if you don't know the facts. I was on version 1.2 for some time because I launched it from the Crysis2.exe instead of the Crysis2Launcher.exe.

The Crysis2.exe doesn't try to update the game, the launcher one does. Here's an idea, you beat it. Hit the road, get out of here.

Don't need to try to make you look bad. The sites server you're posting on can do it for me...

.html

I have two 6950 2GB's with a native res of 1920x1080 Extreme setting and Vsync ON. You look at that pretty little link there and tell me if 38fps avg is good or not.

princeton princeton said:

It looks inferior, end of story. The textures are half as large in both height and width. Which means they have 1/4 the pixels. Objects have less polygons, the shadows and foliage are substantially worse, the lighting is worse and the game employs an over the top amount of bloom.

I thought it was a fun game to play the campaign in. It's definitely better than what passes for a game nowadays(think CoD and DNF) but it's certainly not as good of an experience as the first game. What many gamers enjoyed about the first game is that it was actually a really immersible experience. A lot of the time when I was younger I would notice little details and say to myself "How do they do that?" Stuff like POM where it makes textures look three dimensional or the lighting godrays, or the the slight spectrum of colors visible around objects when viewing them through water. It was more of a sight seeing tour than a shooter game, but I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed many other shooter games since.

Hope that clears up some of our "QQing" about the game. If you have any questions let me know.

princeton princeton said:

[link]

I think that's due to the bad multi gpu support the game had/has. Considering your two HD 6950 2GB's should be more powerful than a GTX 580 but you recieve substantially worse performance than it.

Also I looked at the link and I'm not sure if you noticed but that benchmark is for a single HD 6950. Yes that specific card may require two to achieve higher than 60fps but other cards like the GTX 580 which also only have one gpu can achieve near 60fps at 1920x1200 and with some overclocking can meet/surpass 60fps, especially going from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080.

I have been a PC gamer for a long time and over the 3-4 years it's the same BS from so many of you so called "hardcore" PC gamers.

Whether it's Dragon Age 2, Civ 5, Crysis 1 (too hard on hardware - this game is unoptimized), Crysis 2 (console port, don't need a Tri-SLI GTX580 to max this out - Crytek sold out!), Mafia II, Cryostasis, Mirror's Edge (Oh PhysX won't run on AMD cards), Batman (oh AA won't work on AMD cards at release), SC2 (no AA support in the beginning, game will be split into 3 parts @ $60 each), Assassin's Creed II (DRM infested), HAWX 2 (optimized for NV's tessellation superiority) -- all I hear are just complaints and complains.

Free high rez texture pack for Dragon Age 2 isn't good enough?

Free DX11 and high-rez patch for Crysis 2 isn't good enough?

Do you want $7.99 a month charge for "extra" features like in MW3 on the PC too?

Games for $50-60 are too expensive? You still waiting for that $5 sale on Steam for a "AAA" title?

No wonder PC game developers are jumping ship to consoles. It's so much work to cater to PC snobs which only make up 1/10th of the TOTAL gaming market. With this attitude, soon they'll forget about us altogether and stop making PC games with single player campaigns. All we'll get are WoW type of games and and endless supply of multiplayer only group team games like BF3.

Developing games isn't a charity. It costs millions of dollars. Look how long it's taking Rage to be developed? We have seen how PC game developers get too caught up with making the best looking game and lose sight of deadlines (DNF). These people are in the business to make $$. If you aren't happy gaming at 2560x1600, using Eyefinity, using the superior keyboard and mouse setup, blasting away in UT2004 at 200 fps (despite your undying love for UT99), please stop your whining and just stop playing PC videogames altogether. You think these games are all console ports? Good, save $500 from not getting that GTX680 and get a PS4 or Xbox720 when they come out. The rest of us will enjoy superior controls and better graphics in our "console ports".

You are worse than a bunch of 13 year old console kiddies. Honestly, based on the constant PC game bashing, you'd think nothing good has come out since Half Life 2 and Counter-Strike Force in 2004. Guess what, games like HL2 come out once every 10 years.

If you think you can make a better game than Crysis 2, please go ahead. I'll give you $60 right now for my pre-order.

did you not look at the chart? 38fps for ONE card. My framerate is fine with two cards which was my damn point. Do you even remember saying this game didnt warrant TWO cards? I just proved you wrong and you're talking about some crap that makes no sense.

Do you usually start crap then try to talk crazy to try to get people to forget?

princeton princeton said:

Well you were actually making a very compelling argument until you said this.

You do same/better is one of the the worst counter-arguments ever.

No you didn't prove me wrong. You said it required two cards. But I pointed out the GTX 580 is one card and it can achieve 60fps, therefore it doesn't warrant two cards as a single GPU is available that can handle running the game at 60fps. Your argument also seems to be based around that a game must run at 60fps which is quite ridiculous considering many games on video game consoles run at less than that and nobody complains. So a single hd 6950 is running the game just fine maxed out. 30fps is the point where a sequence of images is perceived as fluent movement without motion blur. You seem to have decided to disregard part of my post.

Princeton: The game doesn't look good enough to warrant using 2 GPUs :P

Princeton a few moments later: Also I looked at the link and I'm not sure if you noticed but that benchmark is for a single HD 6950 (duh). Yes that specific card may require two to achieve higher than 60fps

Cancel your account here.

princeton princeton said:

Princeton: The game doesn't look good enough to warrant using 2 GPUs :P

Cancel your account here.

You're now arguing that the HD 6950 is the only card that matters when examining whether or not a game must use 2 gpus to run at 60fps on the highest settings.

I bought crysis 2 at a discount of 20% in India and it costs me 18$ ( 800 INR) . But that is still way to high here. Crytek if you are concerned about piracy reduce the price of the game to the point where it actually tempt people to buy original.On Indian streets you can buy pirated game at 6$. On the other hand some original games sold for a price comparable to its pirated counterpart.example Half life : orange box. ( 11$ ) and GTA IV sold for only 10$ . Hence I bought these games because just by paying 4$ more I will get much more value.(pirated DVDs do not lasts long)

Tamz said:

Dragon Age 2 was a dumbed-down game aimed at consoles for making money. Crysis is NOT poorly optimized. Its more dependent on the GPU than the CPU. If it were unoptimized, it wouldn't run on a variety of hardware(just check YouTube and see for yourself). The other games you mention are BTW good games.

In other words, if the game is good and worth playing, the technical issues surrounding it will be addressed gradually, and most people will not have any problems with that. An example? Take The Witcher 2. There are a host of issues of technical nature that surround it. But people still play it, because the game is great, even though the hardware requirements are quite high.The developers acknowledge these issues and are working on it. So what's the problem with that?

As far as DRM is concerned, if it bothers you, just buy the game and get the crack( like I did for AC II). Nobody's stopping you from doing that.

Its true that games cost too much these days, but I'm willing to accept that cost if the game is good enough. If the game makes me happy, then its fine. However if developers are half-hearted in making a game, not justifying the cost that goes into it, then they better be ready to face the heat.An example of this category being Dragon Age II. They cannot expect people to pay 60$ for a dumbed-down sequel, or for any other game whose core gameplay and graphics remain unchanged for 4 years like CoD.

The problem with Crysis 2 is different. Its a watered-down sequel of a great game, and considering that CryTek's previous games were mainly aimed at PC gamers, its a slap in the face for them. Its at best an above average shooter, bearing no similarities to Crysis, aimed at console gamers with over-simplified controls and gameplay(with some aspects copied form other games, like the cover system from Killzone 2), linear levels and graphics nowhere close to the original. Moreover it still costs 60$ and now they're planning paid DLCs for it! If CryTek thinks that they will win over their main fan base with this patch, then they're very wrong. As someone said you cannot paint a rusty piece of machinery and pass it off as new and improved.

The bottomline: AT THE END OF THE DAY, CRYSIS 2 IS A SEQUEL TO CRYSIS, AND IT WILL BE JUDGED ACCORDINGLY.

I really never thought there was ever going to be a patch for dx11 support. Looks like i'll dust the game off after the patch for another run through. I bet anything though after the patch people will be on the net still crying it doesnt look good enough yet, or it now makes my pc slow lol.

thanks princeton for taking my point

I also unknowingly launching the game from crysis2.exe but now i will use launcher for autoupdate

slamscaper slamscaper said:

I'll admit that I'm interested to see the improvements this patch will bring as I've been thoroughly disappointed with the game up to this point.

I just hope that I'll actually be able to patch my Steam version. I'm not sure how this is gonna play out being that Crysis 2 is no longer available via Steam.

Can you run Crysis? will make sense again!!!!!!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Cause the games are buggy. Its due to ****** who accept buggy games as the status quo and don't complain is what leads companies to keep putting buggy titles out. When all the customers have the same exact error when the game is released, what does that tell you? That the developers knew of the error and chose to not fix it.

Would you buy a car in which there was a post it note saying that the AC will be delivered in a month or two?

Games are released according to marketing schedules, not to when they're done. Not sure what "long time" means in your book, but it wasn't that long ago when games would just work out of the box. Its not as if these bugs are occurring in some random combination of obscure hardware. If they can make AA work on Nvidia cards, and are having issues with AMD cards, its ok just to let the game go gold?

People have a right to complain and vent if they're upset, and there always is some jackass who comes in with his superior attitude of maturity. If everyone acted like a complaint sheep then games wouldn't even get patched. "Look at me, I'm so mature that I have to suck developer ****"

T77 T77 said:

Going by the GIF images I think DX11 tessallation,DX11 POM,SSR are worth it.They give the overall environment a more 3D feel.But,I feel the SSDO feature is pretty useless.What I see from the images is that it will only make the scene more darker(reduce the contrast).I can acheive that by just switching from the 'general' view to the 'game' view on my monitor.

yRaz yRaz said:

Crysis 2 is a bad game because it represents everything that is going wrong with the PC gaming industry. Developers are not taking advantage of new hardware and at this point, with 360 and PS3 being out as long as they have, every game is just a remake with a slightly different story line. Enough time has gone by that it has all been done before and there is no one and no way to raise the bar. Games have reached a stand still as far as people going above and beyond what is possible. Crysis 1 went above and beyond what anyone had ever seen before.

Crysis 2 was just more of the same, it didn't have the wide open areas to name one. The shaders are also a good bit over the top... I think Crysis 2 has been a big let down because a lot of gamers have a "special place in their heart" for Crysis. Everyone who knows anything about PC games (or has a decent graphics card) knows exactly what Crysis is and what it stands for. Crytek was one company that ALWAYS raised the bar and that's not what happened with the sequel. Crysis 1 was a "game changer." Everyone was expecting Crysis 2 to be a game that takes the industry in a new direction, to set a new standard for gaming. Crysis 1 not only had amazing and unique graphics, It had an entirely different style of gameplay.

In a lot of ways Crysis 2 is a step backwards. No wide open areas, limited destructibility, and some uncomfortable controls. With that I'm going to leave on this, my favorite thing to do in Crysis. After I beat crysis 1 and did the second play through with unlimited ammo I would use explosives to blow up ALL the trees. Every map looked like a clearcut logging operation after I was done with it.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

gwailo247 said:

Not necessarily. What the Guest has said is that there a myriad of causes for broken/underperforming games in general-at least in this portion of the post.

Cases in point:

Saboteur: Did not work with any AMD card at launch. Cause: Either AMD forgot to contact Pandemic Studios prior to launch, or (more likely) the driver team forgot to profile the game.

Batman:AA: No antialiasing for AMD cards. Cause: Eidos and Nvidia locked antialiasing to Nvidia cards to 1. optimise for Nvidia, 2. add a feature that Nvidia spent R&D developing (UE3.5 does not naturally support AA)

Laying the blame at the feet of developers might be apropos in many cases. It does not exclude instances of driver team error/oversight, lacking hardware requirement, and shenanigans between the two main discrete graphics protagonists

but it wasn't that long ago when games would just work out of the box.

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as urban legend. Some of the most buggiest games in history weren't even released in the last ten years (Ultima IX:Ascension (1999), World War II Online/Battleground Europe (2001) andBattlezone II:Combat Commander (1999)...not to mention Hellgate:London, SimCity 4 etc.

That kind of depends on degree of severity and how wide ranging the problem is. If a game works with Nvidia cards but not with AMD (or vise versa) and the issue is with the driver team then why have the game publishers twiddling their thumbs until the issue is sorted out? Likewise what if the graphics card manufacturer can't get their heads around a new OS ? Do you stop all game releases until such time as the vendor gets their **** sorted out?

People have a right to complain and vent if they're upset

Yup. You get that right when you pay for a product that doesn't live up to it's advertising....unfortunately Crysis 2 at launch was everything it was expected to be- if you followed it's development (something I commented on a few times in the forums prior to launch). If however, you were unaware of how the game was (not) progressing, and it's continued delays- and just bought the game on PR hype and on the back of Crysis and Warhead then wail away. Personally I found the first game to be a very linear shooter with a Saturday morning matinee plot. Warhead lacked even that charm. Bringing Richard Morgan in as a big name SciFi author was never going to work miracles (Altered Carbon is a great book, his later efforts including Black Man, Broken Angels, Market Forces etc. are pretty derivative and one dimensional).

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

Free high rez texture pack for Dragon Age 2 isn't good enough?

Free DX11 and high-rez patch for Crysis 2 isn't good enough?

Care to adjust some of those figures there, smarty pants? The true numbers say that the PC gaming market is actually closer to 62% of the total market. For every Wii, there are 4 PCs. For ever Xbox 360, there are 7 PCs. And for every PS3, there are 8 PCs. Developers would have to be out of their minds to jump the PC gaming ship for a market share that's nearly half that of the PC market.

slamscaper slamscaper said:

yRaz said:

Yep, I did this as well. It's wicked fun... Did you know you can punch a tree into tiny little chunks as well? You have to be in strength mode and you also have to punch the tree repeatedly (can't remember exactly how many hits) before it will break.

I love wreaking havoc with the drill press you can find in a hut on the first map. It's fun to toss it around in strength mode to destroy buildings and vehicles (even take down trees). The physics in the original Crysis can be very impressive. This is evident when you blow up a building and see every single piece of shrapnel react differently.

Yes but it will. dx11 tessellation is absolutely gorgeous and will definitely enjoy having 2 (or more ;) ) gpu's to fallback on than one.

pretty sick of you types acting like your so goddamn entitled.

would really like to see you make something prettier. I finished cry2 on xbox and it was good fun, and crytek made the most of what they could squeeze out from the aging xbox and ps3 within the release deadline.

take a slice of humble pie people.

what a good portion of you dont seem to realise is that crytek engine 3 is the most sophisticated engine widely available for developers at this moment. and soon that technology (come august) will be available to the indie market.

you seem so eager to knock down crytek with there 'too little too late' remarks, the engine is the big win here.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Played it through the day it came out and thought the graphics where a bit of a let down and the game play was a definate let down, however, since i paid £35 for this, i guess i might as well go through it again with the new patches and high res textures, (only have a GTX260 so i doubt I'd be able to do that!)

Kinda looking forward to this, even if it was supposed to be there from day one, better late than never.

Princeton: "Well you were actually making a very compelling argument until you said this.

You do same/better is one of the the worst counter-arguments ever."

^^^ You confused me with the other Guest. The performance argument is something you are discussing with another person in this thread.

L.

dividebyzero,

"unfortunately Crysis 2 at launch was everything it was expected to be- if you followed it's development (something I commented on a few times in the forums prior to launch). "

Exactly. From day 1, Crytek said they are making the game available on the PC and consoles. The fact that it was going to be based in New York clearly indicated that it will not be an open sandbox game like Crysis 1 was. Also, it was voiced on many occasions that Crysis 1 was too demanding on hardware so Crytek made sure that this game would run on a wider range of systems.

The DX11 problems should have been a red flag if you heard the news that NV paid $2 million to Crytek to make sure it's "optimized" for DX11. At the time this likely foreshadowed that the DX11 patch will bring Tessellation (since NV would want its cards to perform better to increase sales).

IvanAwfulitch,

You are confusing available hardware on the market vs. sales of videogames. When I discuss the total gaming market I was referring to total game sales (because that's all developers care about). I am not going to dispute the ratio of PCs to consoles that you provided. However, how many of those PCs have capable graphics cards, and on top of that how many of those gamers actually go out and buy $60 games?

Please go to VGChartz.com and check out some cross-platform games and see how well they sold on the PC. Look at Call of Duty games. Each game has sold 10+ Million copies. How many copies of Crysis 2 sold on the PC? Almost all cross-platform games sell far more copies on consoles than on the PC. So my point is not all developers are going to spend $5 million dollars extra so that you have DX11 features (since consoles can't run DX11 code). The Witcher 2 looks great, despite only being a DX9 game. Therefore, it's not even necessary to have DX11 features to have a great looking / fun game.

L.

It matters because that is what i have, yes. You quoted my comment saying the game didn't warrant 2 GPU's. That's a pretty general statement. All you had to do was ask what I had, before spouting off saying i said the 6950 was the only anything.

You cancel your account yet?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

You cancel your account yet?

oooww stop crying already! just face the fact that the game runs at over 30fps at 1080P res on a single card OK!

And Princeton was refering to the fact that the game graphics are pretty crap considering they were supposed to blow our minds yet a graphics card such as yours can run the game at full with ease.

It doesn't deserve 2 GPU's because it was a let down of game!

Sheesh!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

L.

I agree you do not need DX11 for a great game or even great graphics however.

Crysis 2 was supposed to have "the best" graphics, which requires DX11 to be used as it does have features that simply cannot be supported by DX9 and they do make the graphics look more realistic and once again crysis can be used as a bench mark and will be a more imersive experience.

The point of all the complaining is that before Crysis 2 was released, it was listed as DX11 compatible, it was announced again and again that it will deliver the best graphics in any game to date and raise the bar above the orginal, The company even went out on a limb and said it was making sure the PC version would be superior.

Yet all of these have yet to surface. Finally now we are going to see what the game engine is actually capable of and now we will finally see the efforts that the comany has put in for the PC version like they said.

Why would sales figures be bigger for the PC version when, so far, it has been a complete let down over what the company promised? They didn't break any promises for the console version, it came out exactly how they had planned.

I think once this patch is released Techspot should do an updated review and see what the effects are like and how they affect system performance before simply passing this up as to little to late.