Does anyone think there will be a Crysis 2 DX11 patch?

yRaz

UPDATE 4-8-11: CRYSIS 2 DX 11 PATCH CONFIRMED, DID NOT ANNOUNCE A RELEASE DATE
Crytek has confirmed that it will, Indeed, have a DX 11 Patch
full story here

I have done some looking around on the net and it is starting to look like it may not happen. An admin on the incrysis forums has made a statement saying crytek never confirmed a DX11 patch. This was after some rumors on the net saying it would come out the day after an article was posted. They have started deleting any thread talking about a DX11 patch on their forums. However, someone from crytek has tweeted saying PC gamers should "be patient." nVidia has also put crysis 2 on a list of DX11 titles made in January. To anyone who has played it, it is obviously a console port.

Even though the graphics are better on PC, they are nowhere near where modern PC graphics are. They said it would be graphicly superior on PC. Don't get me wrong, it has alright graphics, but this is not what we expect of the crysis name or crytek. Also, the controls are an obvious console port with little thought of keyboard and mouse.

What do you guys think, will there be a crysis dx11 patch?

EDIT: I didn't have time before to post the links that I've found so here they are now

Crysis 2 coming out "tomorrow"(March 28)
http://www.thegamersblog.com/2011/03/27/crysis-2-dx11-patch-tomorrow/

Crytek may not be releasing a patch.
http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/22265-no-dx11-patch-on-tap-for-crysis-2

repost of theTwitter statement
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20671
I know fudzilla isn't the most accurate website but it is correct more often than not.

EDIT 2:
Crysis 2 Sales numbers
http://www.destructoid.com/crysis-2-huge-success-xbox-360-dominates-sales-197396.phtml
xBox: 57%
PS3: 29%
PC: 14%

Thank you, Relic, for some more interesting sales numbers
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35001/crysis-2/

Crysis and Crysis warhead sales numbers(page 10).
http://www.zuse.hessen.de/mm/Konrad_Zuse_Kongress_Yerli_Final.pdf

According to Relics post, Crysis 2 sold ~1,000,000 copies across all platforms. Crysis and Crysis Warhead sold 4.5 million copies collectively(PC only). That is Roughly 1/5th or 22% of the PC only games that came before it.

personally, i don't see it being officially "patched" to DX11... one must realize that in order to use the technology a lot of resources have to be reworked like textures, shaders, and other graphics engine components. it's not as simple as tweaking a few lines of code or adding support for drivers.

I'd say 90% chance it won't happen, at least by Crytek...

I understand the logistics, im wondering if they are willing to put the resources into doing it. I think that crytek just hyped it and had no plans of catering to the PC from the start. Why would they deny a patch with a title known for graphics? Seems to me we've all been had.

well it's obvious that the adoption on the consoles is what doomed the PC version from the start. from a marketing standpoint it was more profitable and convenient for Crytek to build the stripped console versions and then simply port the game to PC for use with DX9. it's sad to see such tactics being used but if you ask me i bet DX11 was never even in the picture. i'm sure they had a nice big meeting about it where they decided to screw PC gamers but right now the money exists in consoles because of sales. not saying what they did was right, because it's actually just greedy, but they took the low road, hyped it up, and ripped us off. period.

I will second third and fourth what EXC said. The only reason that I think there might be a delayed DX11 patch coming is that they didn't bother to even go with DX10/10.1 on this horse**** looking game. to constantly make the selling point that it "will have the best graphics ever" is so blatantly misleading I think that they may have to come out with a DX11 fix for this, unless they have just given up on PC'ers.

...unless they have just given up on PC'ers.

like i said, the profitability exists in consoles right now... like it or not. some of the only loyal developers left on PC are Blizzard, Bioware, Epic, and Valve Software. more and more ported sludge is being crapped out because of the little demand for PC games. it doesn't really make sense considering that ALL games are developed and tested on PC hardware. now i'm reading that the next STALKER is going to be console only... DO YOU BELIEVE THAT SH**!?

as for Crysis 2, my only hope in DX11 support arises from the mod community, third party groups, or professional hackers.

News to me. Last I heard STALKER2 was primarily PC (DirectX11). I was under the impression that this Q&A and the GSC faq were the most up to date public info sites (last month)...not true?

EXCellR8; Epic a PC centric developer? Sure, in the Nineties maybe

As for an eventual DX11 patch for Crysis, sure, maybe one will come out.
But what are you expecting, there wont be any improvement in texture quality, that's where the issue lies.
If they released such a patch it would be several gigabytes in size, that's just not going to happen, they don't care for the PC anymore (If they did the would have released the game with high-res textures to begin with)
And we don't even need DX11 to get Crysis 2 good looking, Crysis 1 had textures with twice the resolution, yet it too was a DX9 game, with only a "lockout" for the "very high" graphical settings (with hacks that mode could be enabled for DX9, it was just one water effect that was truly DX10 that you where missing out on)

Not necessarily meaning to add to the PC gamers vs. Crytek debate, but the findings here on texture quality are astounding (see the screenshots):

Crysis 2 Textures Are 1/2 Size of Crysis 1 - http://vghq.net/2011/03/28/crysis-2-textures-are-12-size-of-crysis-1-proof/

(with hacks that mode could be enabled for DX9, it was just one water effect that was truly DX10 that you where missing out on)

I don't think you could get the 'god rays' with the hacks if memory serves.

Now, only a few years later, Crytek pledges to raise the standard for awe-inspiring visuals with Crysis' successor, claiming that Crysis 2 has the best graphics in the history of video games.

Yerli referring to the leak. "Despite this unfortunate incident, we can assure you that PC gaming is very important to us and will always be important to Crytek in the future. We are all still focused on delivering a great gaming experience to our true and honest fans. I hope you will enjoy Crysis 2 on PC, as we think it is our best PC game yet!"

However, according to Crytek CEO Cervat Yerli, Crysis 2 will be graphically superior on the PC compared to both PS3 and Xbox 360 editions

Crysis 2 will be the first title to be built on CryEngine 3 when it debuts later this year, and has been hyped as bearing the best graphics in the history of video games.

In an interview with PSM3, as relayed by CVG, Crytek executive producer Nathan Camarillo said that the graphics for Crysis 2 will be 'the best you've ever seen'

You have to look long and hard to see so much bullshit spewed about another product. They should have had Vince the Shamwow guy do the ads for Crysis 2.

News to me. Last I heard STALKER2 was primarily PC (DirectX11). I was under the impression that this Q&A and the GSC faq were the most up to date public info sites (last month)...not true?

i sure hope it's still relevant because that would just straight up suck.

as for Epic, they may not be PC-only dev anymore, but when they release a title on PC it's most always solid and they tend to keep their promises. also, there are a TON of games that use the Unreal Engine which is of course tied to them as well, and it's def one of the most robust, stable and accessible game engines available for PC games.

If they ever do come out with a DX11 patch, I highly doubt it'll be what most of us really want. Crytek made it pretty clear with the release of Crysis 2 that their main focus was on the 360. They left out so many important features for the PC, that there is no way this wasn't done deliberately.

I have found some sales numbers Xbox takes 57% of sales, PS3 takes 29% and PC takes 14%.
http://www.destructoid.com/crysis-2-huge-success-xbox-360-dominates-sales-197396.phtml

Seen those figures as well last week, and I believe they are estimated figures from the UK. I haven't really found any other solid numbers and doubt we will see anything considering the NPD no longer releases numbers to the press. So far the best estimations I have found is from VGChartz, and they are hardly accurate on numbers. They put a total of ~540k units sold worldwide (360), and if those UK trends hold true worldwide, I would estimate around ~950k units have been sold across all platforms. Obviously this is all speculation and until EA/Crytek comes out with some real numbers we may never know, and if those numbers are actually poor they will likely never release them and just come out with some positive spin about Crysis 2 (e.g. Crysis 2 did amazing on consoles!).

Keep in mind that Crysis itself did extremely poor in sales initially and didn't start rolling until the following months, something I find to be true for most PC games. However final sales put Crysis around 3 million and its expansion around 1.5 million for a total of 4.5 million units. That is huge for a PC only game, especially considering Yerli's disappointment believing he could move 4 to 5 times as many units if they were on the console.

I guess in the coming months we'll see if the gamble to abandon the loyal PC following they had to join the console was worth it.

@EXCellR8 I wouldn't categorize Bioware or Epic as PC centric any longer. Even though they may be developing stuff for the PC, it's clear they are console rock stars and have simplified many aspects of PC gaming.

Regarding STALKER 2, I was under the impression like DBZ that it was being focused on the PC first considering they are doing a rewrite. To me it would be even more suicidal for them to abandon their loyal PC following since a game like STALKER isn't exactly some mainstream shooter the average console gamer will want to pick up.

According to these(Page 10 sales numbers, Crysis sold 3million copies and Crysis warhead sold 1.5 millon. If you look at these numbers, posted by Relic, Crysis 2 has sold approximately 1,000,000 units across all platforms. If you add up Crysis and Crysis Warhead, they sold 4.5 millon units to PC gamers. That means crysis 2 sold about 1/5th, or 22%, of what the original series did. I hope it was worth it crytek, you ruined a PC title and sold less overall catering to consoles.

I don't want to hear it that it's all because of piracy. They made a BAD game and overcharged it for it. On top of that, they lied to us about the graphics. The deserve every bit of lost sales due to piracy. It should have been a $30 game instead of a $60 one. They charged us the "console tax" on a PC title where they didn't deliver any of their promises.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE!!! YOU HEAR ME CRYTEK? DON'T MAKE OVER PRICED GARBAGE AND ABANDON YOUR FAN BASE!!!!! PEOPLE ARE PIRATING YOUR GAME AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

They made considerably less money trying to make more money. Good.

Wanna know what's even funnier?
It got cracked for consoles almost a week before it was cracked for PC's!
But I bet you still that Crytek are gonna blame the launch day/week poor sales on PC piracy, just like usual!

Crysis.2.XBOX360-MARVEL Uploaded 1 minute and 25 seconds after pre. 2011-03-18

Crysis.2.PS3-MARVEL Uploaded 2 minutes and 57 seconds after pre. 2011-03-18

Crysis_2-FLT Uploaded 3 minutes and 16 seconds after pre. 2011-03-24

A crysis 2 DX 11 patch has been announced. I'm still not buying it until that patch comes out and is tested. They also have to fix the menus and controls for PC before I will even consider it. Seriously, how effing hard is it to make a nice remap of the controls?
Full story here

Those sale numbers were 360 only Raz, VGChartz overall estimation on Crysis 2 sales so far is actually 1.2 million. Which for a game being out a couple weeks isn't terrible, however it's no Halo/Call of Duty. It'll be a lot more interesting to see how well the game does in the following months like Crysis, and to see real numbers from EA statements/financials. I have a feeling the later figures will settle around the ~3 million mark and be hailed as a success. When in reality, they just traded the loyalty of PC gamers in an attempt to pander to those on the console with no real gains. /Shrug, maybe I'm being too harsh.

Those sale numbers were 360 only Raz, VGChartz overall estimation on Crysis 2 sales so far is actually 1.2 million.

Fixed. The site you listed shows numbers closer to 1 million, but that isn't really that important.

Which for a game being out a couple weeks isn't terrible, however it's no Halo/Call of Duty. It'll be a lot more interesting to see how well the game does in the following months like Crysis, and to see real numbers from EA statements/financials. I have a feeling the later figures will settle around the ~3 million mark and be hailed as a success. When in reality, they just traded the loyalty of PC gamers in an attempt to pander to those on the console with no real gains. /Shrug, maybe I'm being too harsh.

It will be interesting to see the sales once the DX 11 patch comes out

After what I've heard, I'm sure this will happen. -CRYTEK CEO: Sorry, but we were not able to get the DX11 patch completed. FANS: Why didn't you do that when you developed the game!? CRYTEK CEO: It was not in our best interest. FANS: We're never buying another Crytek product again!- What do you think about that not yet said conversation?

After what I've heard, I'm sure this will happen. -CRYTEK CEO: Sorry, but we were not able to get the DX11 patch completed. FANS: Why didn't you do that when you developed the game!? CRYTEK CEO: It was not in our best interest. FANS: We're never buying another Crytek product again!- What do you think about that not yet said conversation?

I think you are about spot on Superty. I think the only reason they are putting one out (at some point) is the uproar over the ***** phone booth shooter with 2008 graphics. I really think they thought that they were going to ride the rep of Crysis.

I played Crysis 2 demo and it looked and played really well on max settings. Problem was, it wasn't ground breaking like Crysis 1 was and still is. Hopefully they will get back to their roots and make Crysis 3 the epic tech demo Crysis 1 was. If they keep up the cross platform trend, Crysis 1 is probably the last we will see of ground breaking games.

Wow, they released 3 of them. But they didn't have the courtesy to put them in an update. At least they're free.

Back