Samsung wants to ban iPhone, iPad and iPod sales in U.S.

By on June 30, 2011, 10:00 AM

Samsung is escalating its legal tussle with Apple with an ITC complaint aimed at barring the iPhone, iPad and iPod from being imported and sold in the U.S. The move comes about two months after Apple sued Samsung for copying the look and feel of its iPhone and iPad with its Galaxy S line of smartphones and tablets, to which the latter responded with a countersuit that alleges Apple is infringing on five patents relating to wireless networking technology.

The Korean manufacturer is hoping the U.S. International Trade Commission steps into the ongoing battle, requesting the government agency to open an investigation on Apple regarding "certain mobile electronic devices, including wireless communication devices, portable music and data processing devices, and tablet computers."

The ITC first hasn't yet agreed to look into Samsung's allegations, but if the complaint moves forward, the entire matter could still take 15 to 18 months to complete before a ban can be enacted -- or discarded, for that matter. In the meantime, Samsung is not putting its guard down in court. The company has filed a new patent lawsuit against Apple in a Delaware federal court, in addition to the ones in Seoul, Tokyo, San Francisco and Mannheim, Germany.

Despite the legal claims and counter claims, the two companies remain dependent on each other. Apple bought nearly $6 billion worth of Samsung components for its iPhone, iPad and iPod products last year, and according to COO Tim Cook's recent comments, this patent dispute should not affect their ongoing business relationship. That said, there are already rumors that Apple plans to move A6 SoC production away from Samsung in 2012, favoring TSMC instead.

princeton princeton said:

Obviously they wont get it. But I can imagine steve jobs if this was actually successful. Also.

"Despite the legal claims and counter claims, the two companies remain dependent on each other. "

Uh no. Samsung is not dependent on apple, they're a large source of revenue, but not a super critical one. It isn't like qualcomm where most of their business is SoC's. And TSMC can't make the apple processors, they use Samsung's designed cores.

A4=Underclocked hummingbird cortex A8

A5=Underclocked Exynos with PowerVR SGX 543.

Have fun reworking all your work related to hardware acceleration and app compatibility if you no longer use Samsung's SoC's.

Oh no, if this happens, the guy that got "lawfered" would be devastated...!

princeton princeton said:

Oh no, if this happens, the guy that got "lawfered" would be devastated...!

I think that's a new saying now. You got lawfered!

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

Lawfer, Slayer of Apple Fanboys

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I can just imagine it...a dark alley in the near future.

Apple fanboy: "You have it? I need it. I heard you have it"

Dealer: " I got what you need. iPhone 6, fresh off the boat."

Apple fanboy: "Yessss. Oh its so beautiful. How much?"

Dealer: "$5200."

Apple fanboy: "What! They only cost $700."

Dealer: "In Canada or Mexico maybe, not here. I got a guy at AT&T-mobile who will activate it as a Android on the books. Only $20 extra per month."

Apple fanboy: "Fine I'll take it...wait, this is only the 16 GB model, I thought you had the 32 GB."

Dealer: "Sorry, take it or leave it....hurry up I got other customer that will be more than willing."

Apple fanboy: "Here take the money, gimme...wait, this feels light."

Dealer: "You want the battery too? $800."

Apple fanboy: "Ack!"

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

gwailo247 said:

I can just imagine it...a dark alley in the near future.

Apple fanboy: "You have it? I need it. I heard you have it"

Dealer: " I got what you need. iPhone 6, fresh off the boat."

Apple fanboy: "Yessss. Oh its so beautiful. How much?"

Dealer: "$5200."

Apple fanboy: "What! They only cost $700."

Apple fanboy: "Here take the money, gimme...wait, this feels light."

Dealer: "You want the battery too? $800."

Apple fanboy: "Ack!"

Lafwer: "You citizen what do you have there"

fanboy: "Nothing sir just an old iPod from before they were illegal"

Lawfer: *insert amazing reply that only Lawfer himself can possibly imagine*

**fanboy has been slain**

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Ok, I don't like Apple as much as the next guy, but come on...this is just ridiculous. This is Samsung trying to find a way to exterminate the competition.

i love how the companies show us their dirty stuff and point the others,like they were clean and proving us that all of them make **** of biblic proportions

Go Samsung! Apple has been ruining the electronic landscape since the early 80's. Now if someone would take out RIM ( although they are doing a good job of it themselves), and blow up anything MS throws at the wireless community the world would be a better place.

Muggs said:

matrix86 said:

It is nothing of the sort it is Samsung giving itself leverage vs the apple suit. Company 1 sues company 2 then company2 counter sues then both come to an agreement and we never hear about it again.

Ok so you dont want any competition at all, no apple, no rim, and no microsoft. Yea thats smart, what kind of ***** are you ?

Considering how big Samsung really is and the fact that apple uses tons of Samsung components, just cutting supply to apple will surely be more than enough for them to take a huge hit in production.

I absolutely despise apple's business practices -- almost as dirty as sony.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Muggs said:

matrix86 said:

Yeah, Apple needs to be put back in its place, as much for the sake of its own customers as for everyone else. They, finally, achieves some mainstream success, and its totally gone to their head, or I should say Steve's head. He probably believes that he is a genius. The control, the censorship, its not good for anyone.

If you're going to engage in these lawsuits, then you have to deal with the repercussions. Nobody expects them to stop selling Apple products in the US, but maybe the threat of an injunction will finally kick some sense into Apple. They think they can do no wrong, and sadly the bleating affirmation of the iSheep is just reinforcing that.

If anybody told me that the reason my phone is not working well because I'm holding it wrong, I would tell them to go "know" themselves, in my best Southie imitation. How can any company pretend to be infallible? Seriously. If they screw up in any way, its the fault of the user, either because the user is not using the product correctly, or more extreme, the user fails to grasp the innovation that has been presented to them, and is basically branded a backwards *****.

This Final Cut X debacle is a clear example of that. The professionals that have used the product loyally are lambasting it, only to have iSheep tell them that the pros just don't "get" the new product, and they need to move on, and accept the innovation. Then you look at Apple deleting negative reviews, banning the guy who started the petition to roll back Final Cut. Who acts like that? Not only is that censorship, it really borders on deceptive business practices. "Polling everyone who gives our product 5 stars, we have found that our product is a 5 star product."

yRaz yRaz said:

gwailo247 said:

LOL. That sums up just about everything apple stands for.

Get a Job. Then maybe you'll be able to afford a superior product like iPhone instead of wasting the readers' time with these infantile lowbrow begrudging envious potshots. This kind of talk only reinforces the gap between the intelligent iPhone user and the sniveling "other phone" guys.

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

Who knew that Mr. and Mrs. Howell got off the island and reproduced?

princeton princeton said:

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

[link]

petert said:

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

Why do you have to have a job when you can sell your kidney (bonus - operation takes place in an obscure chinese hospital with high risks for complications) or you can sell your virginity if you are a girl. These solutions are perfectly excusable from a humane point of view when it comes to superior Apple products. Nobody sells kidneys these days to buy an Android or WP7 handset.

freythman freythman said:

I'm only in favor of this going through if it means all of the apple fanboys will finally go away.

aj_the_kidd said:

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

This attitude is pretty much sums up why people hate iSheep.

But to be on topic this countersuit, to me, is just your standard countersuit response, apple makes a lawsuit and samsung makes a countersuit, we've seen this happen before with other companies, generally the countersuits are stupid and this one is no different. Lawyers are being paid big bucks, they gotta look like they are doing something.

TechM633 said:

freythman said:

One could only hope...........

LOL ban apple mobile devices..lololololoololol coolstorybro

die hard apple fan bois would burn down anything with samsung on it if this happened...

No one has dirtier business practices than apple. I don't think anyone else has ever created a unique type of screw for the sole purpose of forcing customers to send back their phone and pay a massive service fee just to change the battery.

Calling an apple product superior is just false. The lawsuit apple made in the first place was against samsungs galaxy S line. It has indisputably the best screen on the market. It runs faster than Iphone 4 and runs android, which is far better than the we're going to invent our own file formats to make us incompatible with everything apple system.

Apple should have stuck with iPods... only product they made i could stand, and even then i detested the fact that i had to use itunes to load stuff on it because they invented mp4 to avoid customers leaving. iPods does not include the iPod touch, it sucked.

Apple fanboys are like conservative voters here in Canada. "We know his government was charged with contempt of parliment for the first time in commonwealth history. We know they ruined our surplus, we know they stole money for their campaign, no I can't name one thing they've done well. BUT THEY:RE STILL THE BEST" Stupidity should by a crime.

"No one has dirtier business practices than (place leading company here) "

It used to be Microsoft. Now that Apple is King, they have the honor of receiving the "abuse from the afflicted".

Maybe one day these troglodytes will evolve and try to be successful for themselves rather than sitting at their laptops with their thumbs you know where pecking at those who actually made something of their lives.

Exponentially more dull and tiresome than Apple Fan Boys is the incessant wining of the Apple Envious.

Even the boy who sold his liver has more sense than the sum of the lot of you.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

gwailo247 said:

I can just imagine it...a dark alley in the near future.

Apple fanboy: "You have it? I need it. I heard you have it"

Dealer: " I got what you need. iPhone 6, fresh off the boat."

Apple fanboy: "Yessss. Oh its so beautiful. How much?"

Dealer: "$5200."

Apple fanboy: "What! They only cost $700."

Apple fanboy: "Here take the money, gimme...wait, this feels light."

Dealer: "You want the battery too? $800."

Apple fanboy: "Ack!"

Hahaha, this is pure gold.

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

You're doing it wrong. One of the first rules of trolling is to start subtle. By overreacting with an elitist tone, you're giving it away. But nice try though.

aj_the_kidd said:

"No one has dirtier business practices than (place leading company here) "

Even the boy who sold his liver has more sense than the sum of the lot of you.

I think you will find that most people on this forum would agree that Apple makes good products, its the unwavering sheep mentality of its fans that people have the problem with, not to mention the arrogant elitist types as well

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

You guys just need to know how to translate 'elitespeak'....allow me if I may....

Get a Job.

"I wish I had a job"

Then maybe you'll be able to afford a superior product like iPhone

"then you can have a superiority complex like me"

"they're on to me!"

"until last week I thought a thesaurus was a plant eating dinosaur"

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

"summer is here, I get to see my mom in a bikini!"

Now please tell me and show me why i should hate apple so much

love apple all you want...it's your attitude.

That about sums it up.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Who knew that Mr. and Mrs. Howell got off the island and reproduced?
Sounds more like Gilligan was the sperm donor.....Yeah but, then there's the whole post adolescent intellectual pretense we have going on.

"until last week I thought a thesaurus was a plant eating dinosaur"
You mean to tell me it's not. See what happens when you can't afford an iPhone? I gottsa gitz me wunna doze. It wheels makez me feel eem-port tahnt beeg time! It wull makey me el mucho smar-tur.

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

Oh Christ, WTF would I do with an iPhone, call you up? Well, I might call you up and ask you if you were holding it right. Because it sure sounds like you have it firmly in hand. And BTW "job" doesn't begin with a capital letter, it's not a proper noun. Your God's name is "Jobs", capitalize that if you must.

Now for your homework assignment, go out and buy a copy of the sheet music to Neil Diamond's, "I am, I said", and use it to clean yourself off after you're done posting.

Literally I have to go along with red on that one. xD

Heaven forbid we don't have our "superior" products updated. Not to mention why would we, the "smart" people consider doing things ourselves? Lets just waste our money, sending back our phone to get the battery replaced. If I'm at home I'll use an actual phone, if I'm out then I'll use a basic cell if needed. We better not mention, that we normally use an actual land line. Those are the devil's tools, to those of the Apple fanboyism club.

Want to go on the internet? Use your PC/Laptop, why spend hundreds on a "smart" device? Oh wait, the 'smart' device is what thinks for them. Let's just be completely blind, and have it guide us home too. Have it also do the cooking, cleaning and more. I'm sure Apple will find a way, to get it integrated into their homes for them.

We must be completely in the stone age, if we depend on "inferior" products after all. Also we must be confused and stupid, because it's us who can't understand their constant horrible babbling. All about us having an inferiority complex, because it's "us" who can't afford good products.

edison5do said:

matrix86 said:

The same way Apple is trying to exterminate the competitions because "IT LOOK ALIKE, AND FEEL GOOD TOO" Is that even a Reason for a lawsuit???

Since Apple has now achieved religious status they should not be taxed and I should be able to declare my iPhone, Mac and iPod purchases as donations ;)

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, Apple certainly couldn't declare itself an "NPO". But, you could probably take all your little toys down to Social Security and collect disability on the grounds of diminished capacity, and addictive behavior..... Show them this face..., bring your shyster, and tell them, "I always try to be my best"!

ban iPhone, iPad and iPod sales in U.S.!??!?!?! i never thought of that one...

i vote that when that happens there should be an multiverse holiday

I will buy samsung products from now on, bless you

all this fight is for good!!

i realise i kinda start hating apple and MS.

but when we look back they have contributed significantly to the society in the past.

they should be given credit for all their contribution.

Arminas1781Pass said:

Even at minimum wage you could afford one in week or two you lazy sods.

They arent cracked up to what Apple says what they are! I've had a iPhone 3GS, and it was glitched to shit, the me and my wife got the iPhone thinking it would solve our problems, and my wife has hardware problems.

Did you just try an shoe horn a bunch of 50 cent words. Typical Apple user, thinks they are better that everyone else.