BitTorrent to launch paid version of uTorrent

By on July 15, 2011, 8:00 PM

BitTorrent today announced that it will launch a premium client called µTorrent Plus this fall. The new client will be aimed at those who are looking for extra convenience and powerful new features.

The company made a point to assure users µTorrent Plus is an additional release and that it will not be replacing any of the company's current offerings. The free µTorrent client will continue to be available, and will receive the same level of commitment and development resources as it does now.

BitTorrent said it is not yet ready to release all the details, but did say that µTorrent Plus is designed for people who are looking for a single solution to find, get, and play content on any device. It will eliminate hassles with codec and conversion issues, struggles with device shifting, and so on.

It's not yet clear if this project has something to do with codename Chrysalis, a new BitTorrent client that went into alpha back in March 2011. Either way, if you want to stay up-to-date on the latest news, participate in invite-only betas, and reserve your spot to get the new µTorrent Plus first and with special discounts, you can sign up at utorrent.com/community/labs/plus.

Earlier this month, the BitTorrent protocol turned 10 years old. There are numerous BitTorrent clients available for multiple computing platforms, the most popular of which is µTorrent. Version 3.0, which adds many new features, was released last month.

In January 2011, the company revealed that BitTorrent and µTorrent hit 100 million monthly users. On an average day, 20 million users from over 220 countries use either of the two BitTorrent clients, available in 52 languages, and 400,000 new clients are downloaded every day.

abe10tiger abe10tiger, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wonder how much they'll charge it?

blimp01 said:

pay to download free stuff

Yo dawg, I heard you like piracy so I pirated your piracy so you can pirate while you pirate.

Mindwraith said:

"i dont have enough money to buy movies legally.. oh look! i can buy a program that lets me download free stuff illegaly!"

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

lol everyone who uses it would use it to torrent the paid version cracked so it would be very pointless. Plus utorrent is free, and there are dozens of others. Maybe they are doing it to raise funds for there eventual legal fees from lawsuits

Once the company bought it... Its future couldn't be so bright. The company 'till now has added a ton of junk into the client. Now, they're going to charge for, certainly, the most requested features, users suggested so far. Something like PeerGuard and more, of course.

Anyway... I really don't know what alternative I could possibly use... Do you know any other similar? Light and easy to use?

I update all my programs normally. ?Torrent is and would be the only one "outdated." I stuck on 2.2.1 version.

BMfan BMfan said:

I wonder how long i will have to wait for the cracked copy.

TekGun TekGun said:

BMfan said:

I wonder how long i will have to wait for the cracked copy.

About one hour...

Det Det said:

tekgun said:

BMfan said:

I wonder how long i will have to wait for the cracked copy.

About one hour...

You mean minute?

sounds a bit like Vuze

WTF! What features an you possibly add, as in program functions that are not there and worth paying for? Me thinks they are going to castrate the free version and limit it and that's the last they'll see of me.

treetops treetops said:

Those features can be found in the article. I know theres a app for your phone that makes viewing TBH easier for .99 cents. I almost considered buying it, but I am way to cheap. Ease of use for multiple devices, phones, laptops, tablets, kindles etc might be worth it. I also bet they will combine reputable torrent sites into a single search. Probably like how frostwire should have been and would have been if they had the geniuses who made utorrent working for them. Yeah yeah I know crackalacka.

"pay to download free stuff"

People....................................................

There is something called programs, than people do, and take time, they don't growth on the trees. Maybe you could do your own program to download free stuft......

Quote of the year :)) Very funny stuff.

mccartercar said:

Running version 3.0 Build 25454

For everyone thinking this will just be cracked and that's the end of it, these guys are making uTorrent. They're smarter than that.

Chances are you're either going to need an account of some sort to use a paid service and/or it will have some phone home tech built in. There are tons of programs out there that are either un-pirateable or so much of a pain to do so it isn't worth the effort and you're stuck many versions behind the current one. The main thing would be the pricing. $10 seems fair to me, but they'll probably charge a premium to capitalize on the brain dead people who don't know you can download the free version.

In the end the only feature I could see actually worth paying for would be some kind of proxy/ip privacy feature.

tehbanz tehbanz said:

I always loved Utorrents disclaimer while you were downloading it - something along the lines of

"If you paid for this you were ripped off, promptly request your money back, utorrent is free software etc. etc."

So - going forward, they are saying we're being ripped off ? cool stuff.